High speed tires

GoldenMotor.com

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I am wanting to use my final for riding to work, about 15 miles

I see posts of other people who do this at speeds of up to 45 miles an hour

What tires are you using

A standard bicycle tire just doesn't seem like it could withstand the pressure of riding that far that hard

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Eh, Iv had no problems with my tires.. even replaced the front tube with a thornproof tube. You also gotta realise that road racers *do* 30mph+, Especialy if they find a nice downhill :)

Even some of the offroaders manage to get to that kinda insane speeds...
Ever seen those speedrecord bikers? I think they do 50mph+ downhill... Seen slow mo of them hiting a bump... whole bike falls apart -_-;

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I would imagine that the tires on race bikes, especially speedrecord bikes are replaced with each race, to prevent blow outs at downhill speeds of 50mph

How long has anyone here had a set of tires on with a daily commute of about 15 miles one way?
My new used Whizzer has about 1400 miles on it
The tires are not original.The rear needs to be replaced and the front is not far behind it

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
You can get plenty of tires that can handle the stress. It is things like not being thrown down on a bad road or stopping in time to avoid a collision that are more of a problem at higher speeds.

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Well.... anybody going to say what tires they are using and why, i am curious as well.... i see tires at the swap meet for ten dollars each..... pretty sure thats a crap shoot....see tires online for alot more, but who's to say they are any better? just 'cause they cost more that makes 'em good? anybody know anything about tires here? we want to know.....

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Well, Also gotta realise: whens the last time you ever saw a bike tire fail?

I mean, sure iv had rubbing till the tube pokes out. Seen people riding with half a roll of duct tape around the rim, But iv never heard of a tire failing, At least, Not failing faster then anyone could of noticed bald spots about 2 weeks before it failed.

The rims however can fail pertty badly... Iv seen a carbon fiber rim that grenaded at the local bike shop. I just buy really heavy bike parts. More metal = less engineering on saving weight = more likey to just bend/flex and not break.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I've been using this type of tire on my mountain bikes since I first started. The solid center strip really helps with wear and rides very nice. I buy them from my local bike guy "Doug" but I think he gets them from Jenson. He only charges me 9 bucks a tire and this particular tire I have 1200 miles on and expect at least to get another 1,000. I use tire liners and thorn proof tubes in these tires and they are pretty reliable. I dont comute anymore but I used to travel 13miles each way averaging about 28mph because a lot of the roads didnt have bike lanes so I hit the sidewalk- jumping curbs and what not so I know these tires are up to the challenge. All I can say is watch out for things in your path! I cant believe I picked up this cut nail one day! Right through the tire and wheel and bent a spoke! Just glad that was on a spare wheel and tire and not my good wheels!

Attachments

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My bike has Duro tires and they seem to be wearing fairly fast, at least the rear tire. That could be because I only have a coaster brake and it locks up and skids the tire often. The front seems to grip the road well. I run the rear about 45 psi, 5 over the max recommended.

I like the look of Sweetskinz tires but everyone tells me they're soft and wear fast.

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
I dont even want to go 45 on my bike....dont have a speedometer either, but there is a point i reach when riding that i start to think about things i dont think about when going slower....things like jeeze...those little bitty balls in the bearing are spinning alot faster than the engineers that designed them were planning on...and the tires i'm not sure.... well i wonder how long it takes to heat those bearings up to the point of failure .... and that tensioner.... well maybe i will just slow down a bit.... my G.F. will still be there if i get to her house 2 minutes later.... its not the reality here its the imaginary gremlins .... the ones airplane mechanics talk about.... they are not real , but we hear them just the same....having the feeling of a little better stuff under you scares off some of the little monsters.bf..

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
I am wanting to use my final for riding to work, about 15 miles

I see posts of other people who do this at speeds of up to 45 miles an hour

What tires are you using

A standard bicycle tire just doesn't seem like it could withstand the pressure of riding that far that hard
Bicycle tires regularly see brief speeds of 50-70 MPH and don't seem to have any issues from it.

A good athlete can pedal a regular bicycle at 30 MPH easily, and maybe 35 MPH for a brief time. So you can assume that pretty much any cheap bicycle tire around can handle 30 MPH just fine... I don't know but I would bet that any decent brand can take 45 MPH. (this assumes that they are properly inflated)

On a motorized bicycle, you might have a problem running high speeds for extended periods of time in extremely hot climates (if you live in a desert, that is).

---------

The "problem" that tires have with high speeds is the heat, which is caused by internal friction of the sidewalls flexing as the tire rolls. The only way to reduce that is to use higher inflation pressures--BUT--then the bicycle must have GOOD suspension, because the tires will be too hard to absorb much bumps. Hard tires & high speeds will lead to frame and fork cracks very quickly.

There are no government speed ratings for bicycle tires in the US, so no bicycle tire manufacturer claims any speed rating.

If you did get bicycle tires DOT-rated, they would need to be rated to 75 MPH, as that's the rule for tires 3 inches wide or less. IIRC the test is increasing 5mph increments of 5 minutes each, and the tire must sustain the final speed for 10 minutes. I would be willing to bet that many bicycle tires could pass that test, but the testing and certification cost money, and there's very little calling for DOT-rated bicycle tires. Of all bicycle owners, very few build motorized bicycles, and of those, even fewer live in states where DOT-rated tires would make any difference in the bicycle's legal standing.
~

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Thanks for the answers and info
Many of the things that were mentioned, bearings for instance, will also be addressed before I decide to make the bike my daily got to work bike

The soft rubber was what I was getting at i guess
heat eats rubber and hot Florida asphalt should wear down soft rubber tires quickly

My bike should go 45 in reality
The design has already been tested and proven by a respected member here already

vehicle failure is not an option here
My company just fired a guy that had been with them for about five years for coming in five minutes late more than six times in a month
This is a guy that works salary and always works two hours past quitting time,

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
To elaborate:
....guys riding skinny road bicycles in the Tour de France regularly hit 50-60 MPH on the downhill mountain stretches.
....people who ride MTB's down ski slopes in the summer regularly hit 70+.

A few years back there was also a guy who built a fully-faired recumbent and put a 2HP engine on it, and could get up to like 65 MPH or so. I don't remember his name or know what kind of wheels & tires he had.

-----

I would guess that what would fail at high speeds would be the tread belt coming off the tire,,, but that wouldn't happen all at once. It would start in one spot, and you would feel it. When it happens on cars and trucks you can feel it.

Really though a tire is only one part of a whole bike.
If you're starting out with the cheapest bike and parts around, I wouldn't expect it to be very safe beyond 25 or 30 MPH anyway--and even that would only be on VERY smooth roads.
~

Medicfung

Oct 25, 2010
Calabasas
im using armadillo crosstreads on my lts, ive bombed hills going 50+ been clocked by another rider on a moto. theyre a little pricey, but the kid at the bike shop told me itll be the only one that would last, all the other tires were really soft compound and lower psi ratings. cant hit the dirt tho, that sucks. only really slowly on fire trails.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I realize that tires are only one component to a bike, but they are the one component I am concerned with in this thread
Mostly because it is the one component I never see being discussed
As Venice says on the greater majority of bikes it makes no real difference

Those guys doing 60 and 70+, What tires are they using? How do they perform on asphalt over a long period of time
I would be willing to bet that they are not off the shelf common cruiser tires

I don't need tires that will do high speeds for a competition or two
I am building a daily driver that must be capable of sustained dependability

I have a friend that builds race cars capable of speeds of around 150 under the most adverse racing conditions, but I would never trust them to be dependable street cars because they are not built to be, they are built to run one race and then be rebuilt

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I rail @ 30 - 40mph every ride. I have thousands of miles on these skins. I think the concern about high speed bike tires is funny. I expect another couple thousand miles on the front, and I expect to replace the rear tire for normal wear on the treads in another 500 miles or so.

You should just worry about pot holes and frame breakin' bumps.