Motorized Bicycle Toolbox

GoldenMotor.com

Padanew

May 9, 2008
Ok, If you have to start from nothing and fill your toolbox with what you needed to work on your bike. What would you have in there? Where did you buy it from? What kinds of cleaners and fluids would you need? Not really sure of what I need to get started.

P.S. I had Tools of all kinds up till last year on August 27 but that is another story.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: Toolbox

A sears catalog with the store on speed dial.

More seriously- Not in any particular order.

A hammer assortment.
Several different sets of pliers, locking, side cutters, channel locks, needle nose pliers.
Cresent wrenches in at least two sizes.
A socket set with extensions.
Open/box wrenches.
Screwdrivers- at least one each in two sizes.
Chain breaker.
Air compressor.
Chemical assortment.
Tire tools.
Sandpaper assortment.
Ex-acto knives.
Dremel set.
Good sturdy work bench(es).
Bike stand.
Radio/CD player.

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
I'm a professional mechanic at Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, and after 12 years, there's a good $50,000 in tools between work and home. Needless to say, it's unbearable working without the proper tool for the job. For the bicycle tool box, which is filled, is uneccessarily so. 95% of needed tools are also carried with me on the ride (although at the small sacrafice for space, for example a folding allen set vs a set a L-bent-ball-end-allens).
So the 95% needed for most things (read this as MINIMAL neccessary, and NOT counting fabrication tools, which motorbiking is heavily involving!) are:

Two bicycle chainbreakers, one with locating "tabs" removed to work on wider motor chain.
Long-handled ball-end metric allen set.
8-15mm combo wrenches.
8-15mm deep socket set 1/4" drive.
#1 and #2 phillips screwdriver.
1/4" flathead screwdriver.
Small flathead screwdriver with pocket clip, my most used tool by far at work!
Set of teeny-tiny scredrivers.
Tire-removing levers(with a notch or hook to to hang onto spoke after prying so you can free your hand).
Tire pump/patch kit. (floor pump or CO2 cartridge type for the ride itself).
Small(6-8") channelock pliers.
Wire cutters.
The smallest gasket scraper you can find (or make one from spare kitchen table knives cut off somewhat near the handle, one straight, and two at left/right angles, and sharpened to a perfectly smooth, burr-free edge. When using a grinding/cutting wheel, use water frequently to reduce temper loss.)
Loctite, medium and strong (stud mount).
Wheel bearing grease.
Acid brush for grease application.
Motorcycle (non-flinging) chain lube.
Brake cleaner for gasket surface/carb cleaning.
Simple green for exterior cleaning.
Fast Orange handcleaner.
LOTS of rags/shop towels.
Bike stand (actually, my bike stand has been rendered useless with the gas tank etc now in the way of the frame clamp).
Cooler and beer bottle opener. :)
And most important=good lighting. For countless years of experience, I've found the best light source is a headlamp, like found in camping stores. Online search for a 1 watt LED headlamp at least, with adjustable angle tilt, you'll never go back to another light source again! Overhead/floor lighting, no matter how bright, casts shadows right where you need the light!

This is far from a complete toolbox, BUT, if a someone is starting from the beginning, this kit will do the vast majority of mechanical duties needed.

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
Like others here, I'm a tech for VW. I have a good assortment of tools at work, but nothing at home! I'm forced to use whatever tools I can find at home and improvise a lot. Basic tools are a flathead screwdriver and a 10mm deep socket. Otherwise, I couldn't live without my dremels and their bits, pliers, and a vice. Oh yeah, of course a good solid workbench.

Of course the bike never breaks at work, only at home or on the road :)

silvermaker5

Jun 8, 2008
Baldwinsville, NY
I keep them with the bike. Flathead screwdriver, folding allen set, phillips screwdriver, and an adjustable wrench. Thats it for regular adjusting and mantance. I used more to install.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I carry a few small wrenches, for the diff. studs I replaced,a small GOOD crescent wrench, one allen wrench,a master link, extra cable,spark plug and last but not least a GOOD multi-tool.