Straight Bar Whizzer

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Chain,
I was trying to remember your Briggs build and was wondering if you have the link for that. Did a 5 horse fit in the frame? I'm considering a 5 horse Tecumseh as an upgrade in my Panther and wondering if it can be squeezed in to fit.

Your current build is top notch all the way. Beautiful!
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Silverbear.. "the Money Pit" http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44393&page=4 ended with a cracked block and a internally rusted out frame, the motor was a 3hp IC Briggs. I managed to re-use the bike parts and sell the briggs parts on a minibike forum.
Mick.. I actually am starting to dust it off in hopes to get ready to finish it off for spring. Going to try and spread the stays a bit more today..I sent Pat an email about a seat. Im taking a couple parts to work tomorrow to work on during down time. I just re-purchased the Whizzer that is shown in the first post along with a bunch of other good stuff, which should keep me busy with bike projects for a couple more years.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's too bad about the "money pit". I didn't think there would be room for a 5 horse. I could fit a 147cc Jacobsen 2 stroke which I have and may go that route. Thanks.

Good that you got your old Whizzer back. Two straight bar Whizzers is better than one, for sure. Look forward to seeing your progress...
SB

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I just re-purchased the Whizzer that is shown in the first post along with a bunch of other good stuff, which should keep me busy with bike projects for a couple more years.

That's great you bought your bike back. How much does it cost to ship a bike across the country? I see bikes on Ebay & they almost always say "local pickup only". I've always wondered what it costs to ship a whole bike.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
When I originally shipped it in 1 bike box and 1 box for the motor it was under $200, its more of a hassle than the money I think for some guys on ebay.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
When I originally shipped it in 1 bike box and 1 box for the motor it was under $200, its more of a hassle than the money I think for some guys on ebay.
That's not bad but you have to have someone at the sending end to be cooperative. Don't always know on Ebay & craigslist etc....

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
You got your bike back..wow..I know you missed her. I wish I could get back a few of my old Builds. Very happy for you hope its still looking tuff!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA

This is where I'm at today. I Brought the belt guard and fender to work today, I had to notch the fender and cut the center out of the belt guard (the auto-clutch won't fit under the cover) I have a seat lined up, and believe it or not a special new engine will be going in this bike and current engine will be going in the old bike. One of the things I wanted on this bike was lights, this has a headlight and a tail light.. Inside the shells are Supernova lights powered by the front Sturmey Dymo hub.

@ Moto- Thanks, I did miss that bike a bunch. And the bike has been inside and taken well care of.

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA

The new Auto-clutch that Q is making needs a bit more room under the belt guard.

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Needed to make up a plate and arm for the rear drum brake, this along with the seat and kickstand plate will be welded on.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
So with the new motor and higher head I had to test fit and everything is OK except the fuel lines will be a problem as you can see in the photo. I ordered a stainless bung and will be having the bung relocated. Details on the new motor...
Vintage Carter carburetor [Whizzer version]. Needle bearing crankshaft, Whizzer "racing" piston, "custom" made wrist pin Hi compression head [re-worked & milled], "H" crankcase with a ported "300" series cylinder [with larger valves], aluminum "300" exhaust manifold, tall oil breather [allows 8 oz. oil in crankcase], .193" lift camshaft, copper head gasket, electronic ignition module, crankshaft seal, left side crankshaft bearing, right side needle bearing [in the side cover], and all new gaskets.

And My other bike made it back home and to the work bench, it is already apart to be blasted and painted I will be replacing the motor with the rebuilt one originally slated for the other bike. This bike will be redone into a cruiser style.

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Got My seat from Sportsman, I think it looks just right! I figured to take a photo before I take it all apart. I need to have the seat welded on and the tank bung relocated to the rear. Next photo should be all dressed up in new paint.

Last edited: