what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Yesterday I oiled up the chains on both bikes and we went for a quick cruise.. Today I cleaned all the rims with degreaser just to catch any little specs and splatters so the brakes will grab more easily. Also applied (probably) the last coat of clear coat to some parts and hung them back up to dry.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana

Took my sidecar rig for its first test run today. Stopped at a country store to get some gas. The lady asked how much gas I wanted, when I told her 2 dollars, She looked out the window to see what I was driving. Then she asked if I was driving the old bicycle with the sidecar and everone in there had to go look at it. What a rush.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Cold weather here stopped bumming me out. Put in new bearings on my rear hub . 10,000 miles on that hub. Had some month old gas . Got clocked going 50 mph down one of the BLVDs on that old gas.:)

My 10,000 plus old Morini engine is running like a champdnut

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Took my sidecar rig for its first test run today. Stopped at a country store to get some gas. The lady asked how much gas I wanted, when I told her 2 dollars, She looked out the window to see what I was driving. Then she asked if I was driving the old bicycle with the sidecar and everone in there had to go look at it. What a rush.
LOL Jimmy. Really is fun to see people's reactions.

First time up my way that gas hit $4 a gallon, I liked to ride up to the pump, preferably opposite a SUV or any large vehicle and loudly complain that I had "put a dollar in just last week"

Then buzz by the folks waiting for the bus outside the DMV. (The group "W" bench for folks who could not get their licence back)

wut?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

I think the only time I actually put gas directly in a past motor bikes gas tank at the gas station was one time. All the others time, I just filled up at home or on my trip got the quart from under the banana seat taped there and fill it from that.

That one time at the gas station the guy was wary of something, or it was near the shift change or something, because he just was not going to turn on the pump for me.

He said just empty the hoses. I asked are the handles locked and he said no, go ahead. Less than two hoses and I was filled up. If I had a funnel I could have filled the spare under the banana seat too. There had to be at least 6 pumps at the station.

Yea, I saw the price of gas jump and got it a few cents under 4 bucks a gallon today and whats next.

Thinking back when I was near the east coast and saw gas at 25 cents a gallon. But that was near the refineries was back when. I even got to see the oil tanker the Manhattan which was also an ice breaker that first did the North West Passage back then!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Manhattan_(1962)

Check out the wiki on the Ice Breaker!

I'll be getting back to welding up the bracket soon for an idler pulley on the first of three belts, twin stack jack-shafts, 6 pulleys (if you count the belt clutch), that gives me the 40:1 ratio over all on the Fish Motor Bike. Its a slow mover and probably not too good on gas. Parade speeds under 5mph and also a kick aaa dirt bike hill climber when I fillet.

MT

Attachments

Last edited:

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

Made head studs from threaded rod, torqued in, and actually seat better than the stock studs...and the rod has a torque rating of 125,000psi...a bit more than needed but super sturdy...check the heads and cylinders section...oh yea, I also rode it hard for a few minutes before I froze...17° last night....wee.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

did some work on the 24" bicycle.

swapped the 6 speed cluster for my 7 speed mega drive (one with 34t 1st gear)
did some mesuring as well and found i'll need to get a z offset intake for the carb to clear the frame. Will need to hammer a bit at the down tube since it's too big for the motor mount to fit over.
Skarrd, If ya haven't beat up yer tube yet, STOP NOW. They make any size u-bolt you could think of that will fit around your down tube. After that it's only a plate with four holes in it. (2 for the motor, 2 for the u-bolt.) If you can't buy the right size it's real easy to just make your own mount with stuff from yer local hardware store and a drill. I've seen some folks try to beat a frame into submission like that and it looks like crap and could weaken the frame. It's your bike, build it your way. But I don't recommend beating up your frame to do it.
AND Dan, How many people do you think got the Arlo "Group W bench" reference?

Heres a link for a double U-bolt setup. A single U-bolt will work too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160946810864?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Last edited:

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

Skarrd, If ya haven't beat up yer tube yet, STOP NOW. They make any size u-bolt you could think of that will fit around your down tube. After that it's only a plate with four holes in it. (2 for the motor, 2 for the u-bolt.) If you can't buy the right size it's real easy to just make your own mount with stuff from yer local hardware store and a drill. I've seen some folks try to beat a frame into submission like that and it looks like crap and could weaken the frame. It's your bike, build it your way. But I don't recommend beating up your frame to do it.
AND Dan, How many people do you think got the Arlo "Group W bench" reference?

Heres a link for a double U-bolt setup. A single U-bolt will work too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160946810864?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
lol just a few minutes after i had posted that i checked sick bike parts and saw they had the mount made just for the over sized tube, i needed to get parts from them as well so i got that mount c:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I finished fabbing up a throttle linkage for my 98cc engine today. It works perfectly, except I need a different spring so the throttle will return on its own. But other than that it works great.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.

Installed another new kick stand ($20 from Bird Dog Dist). This time the type that hangs behind the rear wheel, and folds down under it. Doesn't fit exactly, but ok. Seems to work pretty well, barely keeps the back tire off the ground though. All in all a success I think.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.

Longest ride so far today (40* and sunny). Rode it 12mi, limped it 2mi, pedaled it 2mi, walked it 2mi, trailored it 2mi. I'm going to bed.
The kickstand got well used today, would prefer it be an inch taller. And by the way, the 12mi was FREAKIN AWSOME!

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Installed the carb side intake gasket and started it up...

It LIVES... IT LIVES... IT LIVES...

You get what I mean...

* * * IT REALLY LIVES * * *

But still need to tune it and I also found a couple pin holes in my exhaust pipe. Tell you what it sure does need a muffler because it roars without one.

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson

I tightened up the engine belt on my belt drive felt. The new tension made a world of difference, for one it got rid of the squeal that was driving me nuts and I also gained a noticeably quicker acceleration now and a more stable top speed (before it would vary slightly).

Bike is great to drive now with the belt setup.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

got alot done on the bike so far.

mounted the motor (took me forever)
also mounted a rear brake adapter and caliper i got as well, just waiting on the wheel fro it to come in.

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Installed the carb side intake gasket and started it up...

It LIVES...

But still need to tune it and I also found a couple pin holes in my exhaust pipe. Tell you what it sure does need a muffler because it roars without one.
Right on Draco, brings a tear to the eye when all the work/frustration comes together eh?

got alot done on the bike so far.

mounted the motor (took me forever)
also mounted a rear brake adapter and caliper i got as well, just waiting on the wheel fro it to come in.
Now that's a tight fit!

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

got so much done today x_x

got the chains hooked up
got chain tensioner installed
repacked bottom bracket with new grease
mounted gas tank
fabbed up an intake manifold to mount the carb (still need to fab a mount for it)
mounted the throttle and clutch controls.

left to do:
finish exhaust
make carb bracket
finish fuel lines
finish ignition
put pedals on
mount rear brake
??????
profit.

Attachments