warm up

GoldenMotor.com

CR500AF

May 20, 2012
Ontarieo
When i start my mb i don't let it warm up and make to much noice, i just ride a little over idle for a few mins and then open her up

i am a engine head but these engines have the thickest rings ever and i would like a opinion form someone who is a engine guy leaning to towords HT engines

Thanks Brandon

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i dont let mine warm up either,i just go slow for a minute or so.
maybe i should try letting it get hot before i ride,it seems to load up with fuel until it gets hot.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Warm up?
I rip out onto the street once I get it started. Flip the choke, let 'er rip, open the choke once up to speed.

All with an open exhaust. :D

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I ride off right away, but I do let it warm up a little before using much power. Mine has to warm a little before it runs good on throttle.

It your bike runs good cold, it's probably a little too rich. It should take a little while to warm up and run good.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I start up riding down the lane behind the house, make a U-turn a few houses down once the bike is running, and flip the choke lever. I sometimes wait a few seconds for the idle to smooth out again before I start off past the house and up the hill.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
After breakin, I just let it warm up as I ride, keeping the RPM down and pedalling as needed.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've built a bunch of bikes, most of them i never warm up, just blast off down the street.

i have built a few that needed a warm up, though. don't know why. one used to blow head gaskets all the time if i took off cold. resurfaced the head and jug everytime, made sure the head nuts were torqued, didn't matter.

the other one just sputtered along for the first half mile, and i'd have to adjust the choke 3-4 times when cold, then it would just take off.

usually, these bikes heat up quick, so if yours runs good with no warmup, go for it...

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I never did a warm up, I would ride slowly for a block or so and then she feels ready to go....
However, this year I added a double leg kick stand and my motor starts with one kick, so one day I kicked her over and let her idle while I closed the garage door. It only sat a short while and when I rode off much to my surprise she was ready to rip right from the start, so I've been doing that lately and kinda like not having to putt putt down the first block...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I never warm them up... I just get on 'em & ride. (They always run real slow until they get hot anyways)! ;)
Ditto:
I don't ride fast from a start because my engines just don't run that well until they get a little heat going. That usually takes about a block, depending on outdoor temperature, and 1/2 throttle or so. After that, all's well.

If the engine even feels warm to the touch it will run well. It's when it is dead cold, or ambient temperature that I give it a little time to warm before expecting too much from it.

Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I'm with these guys too. Besides, I live in a mobile home park where they're serious about that 10 mph speed limit. So I let mine putter toward the exit and warm up on the way. By the time I get to Troy Road, once the lane is clear, she's warm and I can open up and take off. If I sit around and just blip the throttle, I'm just making noise and wasting my Ridin' Time.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I dont usually need to choke when starting, but it does sometimes take 2 bumps to get started because I have good compression. even if I do choke it, it takes 2 bumps anyway. when its warm it fires on the first try. But I usually start my bike in an alley behind my house, and I pull the clutch in and let it idle for a couple seconds. I have two quick corners to turn before I get out on the street, and she is warmed up by the time I get there. Sometimes I also have to tweak the throttle once or twice after the engine turns over, but other than that, she starts pretty easy.