I'm getting stopped a lot lately

GoldenMotor.com

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
haha yea i wouldnt even take 800 for mine, maybe a crappy bike with a stock engine, but man ive put over 700 dollars into my bike, but i dont see anyone buying it off me for that price even if i wanted to sell it.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I've been in the service business for almost 30 years, and I learned a thing or two.

1. If you charge cheap prices, you attract cheap people as customers.
2. Cheap people make crappy customers lol.
3. an are the first ones to complain or worse yet bad mouth a quality builder who got caught up in doing the guy a favor .
also in the service biz for 20 yrs .
I feel your pain brother :D

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It happened to me again today. This makes 3 days in a row. Today I was in a hurry trying to get to the bank. I was waiting at a stop sign when this guy makes a right turn onto the street I was on. I could see he was looking my way, and when he gets next to my bike he stops blocking the other lane. I didn't have time to talk to him and as he started rolling down his window I sped off pretending not to see him.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I had the garage open today trying to make some space in it, so my bikes were lined up just outside. I had three people stop on the way by to ask me about them, and then wanted to know how much I'd sell one for. I get asked at least a couple of times a week about it, and when I explain it they ask me if I have one for sale or how much to build one.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I get the same thing if I leave my shed door open. The Higgins I'm building now comes really close to looking like an old street bike from the early teens, mock carbide lamp and all. I had a young fellow ask if he could buy it when I was done. (SHEESH! I'd like a chance to ride it for a while first, and after I do that I'm not sure I'll ever want to part with it.) I told him my new stock answer: "Sorry, I'm too poor to assume liability if you wreck it and decide to sue me." He looked dejected, but I knew he couldn't afford what I'd need to ask to break even anyway.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sold my first build to a guy who stopped me on the street. $450. He had to go to the bank but oddly enough, couldn't get more then $435. So I ride away. He called me a few minutes later and had all the cash. I regret picking up the phone.

You never forget your first Girl

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Sold my first build to a guy who stopped me on the street. $450. He had to go to the bank but oddly enough, couldn't get more then $435. So I start to ride away. He called me a few minutes later and had all the cash. I regret picking up the phone.
I almost sold the Atomic BB in May for $600. The guy initially balked at the price, but then called me a couple days later wanting to go ahead and buy it, but by then I changed my mind. I'm glad now that I kept it.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i've had people asking me about building bikes.
i had some guy @ a stop light want to buy it on the spot.
i wasn't exactly sure if he was pulling my leg.
he offered 700$ with out even getting out of his car.
i told him i wasn't interested & drove off.
i have over 1k in it.

i also have had people @ the local swap shops ask me to build them.
i would get liability insurance & only sell them locally if the florida laws were more favourable to riders.

i did read somewhere (i would dig it up when i get to that bridge)
that you can build mopeds w/o a vehicle builder licence.(something along those lines)

i think my business model will be focused on my labour & not marking up parts.
so they pay for an engine & parts. i don't do any labour unless they pay me to go over the engine. like retapping & changing all bolts.
every engine would get a complimentary engine dismantle to make sure there are no flashing floating around.
@ that time we can negotiate any internal clean up, porting, or any other mods.
part of my fee would be to mount the engine & shim properly.
so no pulley would be needed.
every bike would get an upgraded chain.
if something breaks that i recommended for them to replace, it doesn't fall on my shoulders.
like if i see they have a weak axle, i can get paid to upgrade their axle or i don't warranty any wheel work.
if the hub is already strong or they pay me to upgrade it, i'll warranty it.
same thing w/the throttle & gas tank.
in fact i would try to steer them from buying the kit & just get the motor & proper parts.
i would not warranty frame breakage on light bikes.
focusing on that they are buying parts @ my cost so i can't warranty them.