Detailed Instructions?

GoldenMotor.com

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
Ok, putting together my BGF kit and I must say that there are a ton of little parts that I have no idea where they go or what they are used for.

Are there any detailed instructions out there that actually go into the details? Everything I've seen simply says "Mount Engine", or "Assemble Clutch Lever" but doesn't go into detail about what all of the little nuts, bolts, springs, brackets, etc... actually are and where they go.

For instance, my throttle assembly is together and on the bike, I have the cable run into it...but I have to manually turn it each way, there's no "spring return", so obviously I'm missing a spring or something. I know the throttle is supposed to close by itself when you let go of it but it doesn't.

Thanks.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The throttle return spring is inside the carb. If your throttle doesn't return, it's probably because of a tight fit between the throttle grip, and the handlebar. In other words the throttle handle is rubbing on the handlebars and hanging up. You may need to lightly sand down the handlebars where the throttle fits. It also might help to apply a little grease to the inside of the throttle handle.

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
no, it's not even hooked up to the carb yet...I just figured there should be a spring inside the throttle assembly itself to return the throttle to closed automatically. without it the assembly feels extremely cheap and chintzy.

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
yes...and his assembly PDF has the vaguest instructions I could possibly imagine. I'm talking about a layout of each and every single part, where every nut, bolt, washer, etc.. is supposed to go, all with high-res images (not 200px pictures that are beyond useless).

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
wow, that's sad. so many people have built these things and nobody has taken the time to make a very detailed write-up?

next time I build a bike I will have to do that ;)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Max, that would be an awesome contribution to the community and would be welcomed and applauded!

If I can in any way help, lemme know. In trying to help folks with 1st builds, a big part is the confidence part. A kind, well worded and pictured "how-2" would be really great.

Indigenousness children will sing your praises!

I have tried 2ce to get a collaboration going to do just that. I have great luck building but have some unorthodox methods. (I regularly take short cuts, use steel toed work boots and pretty much cheat) So I could not be trusted to offer a sound way of doing some things. But am there big time.

Ya gotta do this!

.flg.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
More power to ya!

It is an enormous task, as there are so many bikes out there.

Custom fitting is always required, so a precise assembly with a perfect parts kit will always be impossible unless the bike fits the motor to a "T".

You know, the perfect angle with the perfect pipe diameters.

And that doesn't cover the chainstays and seatstays and tire/chain hits.

All you can do is post what works for you.