jim in chicago first build schwinn drifter

GoldenMotor.com

handyjim

Mar 10, 2011
chicago
wow what a ride bulding this thing lots of mods fender cutting chan gards cut motor mounts glad i read all your post thought this would be easy doing this with a broken toe dident help much lol :-||

handyjim

Mar 10, 2011
chicago
schwinn drifter 48 cc gurbee lots of probs reading this fourm helped so much will post pics soon all ready to go jest need to gas up tomarrow for first ride

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Good luck on your first ride, remember there will be problems along the way but once you get all the bugs worked out it will be worth all the headaches.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Hi there handyjim (a handy jim is worth two jacks of all trades anyday), we are the shop dogs in waukegan IL. A builders /riders club. Welcome to the forum ,it's a great help when your starting out and the more you get into the sport the more you find.
Send me a PM if your intrested in IL. Or WI rally info.

handyjim

Mar 10, 2011
chicago
hi again all bike started good nice first ride im in the auroura naper area of chicago like to make friends join a riders club or stat onebrnot

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
Sorry jim not able to make that trip as my MB's are my transportation. Little to far for comfort on either of them. If your ever on the northside send me a pm.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Wow new guys poping up everywere, be sure to map your location. Sounds like its time to start planing a rally for this area. We been a club for about three years now and have been waiting for hobby to take off around here. I'll start a new thread in event section. Please add your input as to date and location.

handyjim

Mar 10, 2011
chicago
yes ill be posting pics soon as i can find charger for my cam battery lol . count me in on that ride spring early summer sounds great. maybe a small cook out after. im a great griller charcoal only. lol old school

superbob

Mar 7, 2011
Florida
Good luck on your first ride, remember there will be problems along the way but once you get all the bugs worked out it will be worth all the headaches.
Amen, but I have yet to hit the good part. Just finished my first build: 48cc black Skyhawk on a Schwinn from Wal-Mart.

Nothing fancy, but still a nice looking ride. Everywhere I go, I have to allow a little time for people asking questions, I mean everywhere, even if it's just around the block. I had to start a file on my phone for pre-orders, sort of, because I'm not opposed to building bikes for people, but so far all I can tell them is, hit me up in six to eight weeks and I'll tell you whether I feel ok about the engine. So far everything about it says run, don't walk, away from this hyped-up, prison-built ripoff. Sorry guys, but really if it wasn't for the sheer number of knowledgeable, serious, seemingly exacting people, even professional people, out there messing with these Grubbee engines and encouraging other people to do the same, I would think it's all a joke. At present there is no way I would sell one of these with my name on it, or even build one for free and tell someone to go hit the streets with it. Maybe the long-term performance will convince me how dead wrong I am about all the indications.

I could go on and on about missing parts, inoperable parts, misrepresentation, poor or bad (factory) info and poor overall quality, but I'll just stay with the gas tank. You don't have to go far from there. It came hammered and rusted. Seriously, it wasn't packed with any sort of packing material, not even wadded up paper, but the box was in good shape, and no amount of shaking around during shipping can explain the sharp, deep indentations that look for all the world like someone took a hammer claw to my tank at the factory. Other sheet metal parts I was able to beat into, well, nothing like tolerable shape, with a two-by-four and a rubber mallet, but there was nothing I could do for the tank. It's a conversation piece. And then there's the rust and crud, and paint that didn't cover, how demanding is it to completely cover the object you are painting with paint, but all this turns out to be common knowledge, as is the fuel petcock that doesn't flow, and the screen filter that doesn't filter, and the hose clamps and the real filter that I had to buy, and the list goes on, but my current question is this: why do I only get fifty MPG? That's 50, not 150, but I guess I knew what I was getting into when I opened the package and saw the tank, right?

There is no drag on the engine. I can pedal it just fine. No smoke. No mods. Compression seems fine, as does combustion, carburetion (NT carb) and overall performance. I weigh 190, and the bike could be lighter, but I can't see any reason except misinformation that my rig should be getting 1/3 of the claimed MPG. Any suggestions?

And boys, consider cleaning that tank out before you install it. {Amateur advice notice here} I used bb's and a product called Purple Power, which is a metal treatment used to convert rust and penetrate bare metal with corrosion inhibitors in prep for primer. That Kreme or whatever the factory instructions call for has about half the people who use it trying to drive around on fouled carbs, or so I'm told, and it makes sense to me. Why does a rust-free tank full of oil and gas need a coating, to come loose later and get in your good running gear?

Good luck, y'all. Maybe future experience with these Grubbees will convince me they sank all, and I mean all, of their money and effort into the meat of the engine. Those poor prison workers though... not kosher.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Looking good jim , is that a springer fork replica or some other brand. Are you gona bob the rear fender any ? I got a little treatment that would alow you to have a front fender forward of the brake ,useing a few bolt on parts. Cant post pics but could talk you thru it.

handyjim

Mar 10, 2011
chicago
hi there dog the bike came with the springer sold by sears hard to find what i wanted only 160 so not bad was 200 like to know more about that fender thing maybe bob the rear cut the vibes a bit still tinkering ty

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I have a love hate relationship with my fenders. They rattle , break and rub, however vital they are. Cant ride anywere in the spring without a stripe up your back. My fix is real simple ( any hardware store ) , messure the dia. Of front rod on springer and spred between rods and let me know dim. If my parts fit ill send you kit , if not easy to rig your own. Once rods are setup you just run a little conecting bar under brake back to other fender half. I also reused my struts (wire) , you may need to make new ones ?
I'm sure you need to bob the rear one to cut vibe , and locktite the fasteners all around.