How do you get the chain around the engine's sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

ncfootballchamp

Aug 29, 2010
USA
The engine sprocket does not spin so I unscrewed the 3 screws holding on the plate that covers the engine's sprocket, thinking i could simply put the chain on it that way. However, it seems like there's not enough room between the sprocket and the "wall" of the engine. As you may be able to see from the attached picture, I tried to fit the chain into its proper place but there is not enough room.

Am i doing this the right way? Or is there some other, much smarter way to do this?

Thanks so much for the help!

Attachments

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Undo the master link , set one link on the sprocket , pull in the clutch lever and spin the sprocket.

Ahh you got the clutch cover off so you cant pull in the clutch. Take out the spark plug then you should be able to spin the sprocket.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Do me a favor , take a picture of your bike so I can see the whole thing.

Did you take your first picture in a mirror or something ?

ncfootballchamp

Aug 29, 2010
USA
i put the cover back on, but when i pull the clutch the sprocket wont spin. Do i need to adjust the clutch so it pulls more or something?

(r00t4rd3d i took it using the isight of a macbook so the image is flipped)

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
You probably need to tighten the clutch cable up.

Taking the spark plug out helps too cause you wont get any engine compression.

Lol. I kept looking at your first photo and thinking is the engine on there backwards !?!?

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
If he tries that method with the spark plug in and the clutch disengaged I dont think he would get very far.

I used my finger to spin the sprocket. No plug , clutch locked.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Your clutch arm should fall around this area when you have the cable tightened properly.
Jus' a quick FYI r00t, the large spring pictured is supposed to be over the cable housing where it passes near the cooling fins as jus' a heat shield (kinda ineffective & usually unnecessary), the smaller spring is included with the kit to be used as you've done - but it's completely unnecessary as the clutch has plenty enough return force.

So you can rid yourself of both if ya wish ;)

Additionally, using the arm's position to determine correct clutch adjustment isn't very reliable as it's simply pressed onto a splined shaft - it's location varies from engine to engine, manufacturer to manufacturer, it's more than a lil random where it'll be w/a new kit lol - if you wish, you can pull the arm and relocate it on the splines for a more comfortable ride, don't want it snaggin' on the ol' pantleg an' all :D

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
There was a spark plug wrench included with my kit. You simply use it on the spark plug to loosen it and it just unscrews. The spark plug wrench looks kinda like a big ole socket with a few holes in the sides. It will fit 2 different size plugs as each end is a different size and the holes are to insert a screw driver through the plug wrench to turn it.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Make sure your clutch arm is getting pulled in far enough. Look at the counter sprocket on the engine , you can leave the cover on and just peek in the side of it , you see the rod poking out of the center of the sprocket ? The clutch arm pushes that rod in. Adjust the cable till it pushes that rod in and allows the counter sprocket to spin freely.

ncfootballchamp

Aug 29, 2010
USA
alright i took out the spark plug and that did nothing so i tried to push the lever thing (that the clutch wire pulls) to see if i could see anything moving next to the sprocket and it looks like the little rod that is suposed to be pushed in isn't going in all the way. Is there anything to calibrate internally to allow the rod to be pushed in all the way? Because I'm pretty sure that the lever wouldn't go any further.

Again i really appreciate the help. This is very aggravating.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
The little pin that gets pushed in has a ball bearing behind it. If the bearing has fallen out the pin will not be of any use. Make sure the ball bearing is still in there.

ncfootballchamp

Aug 29, 2010
USA
Ok i finally got it. I turned the sprocket wheel thing manually with a socket wrench to get the chain to turn around it. I'm still not 100% sure my clutch is working properly, but i checked and the ball bearing is inside so im just not sure, but i will cross that bridge when i get to it