Is it legal to ride 2 stroke in California?

GoldenMotor.com

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Is it legal to ride 2 stroke non CARB approved engines in California?

I know it is illegal to sell them and import them to California, but is it illegal to ride them?

What if I get stopped by a cop?

Is there such thing as CARB or EPA police?

Thanks.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yes, it's legal. it's just importing them here that's the problem.

if non compliant older 2 strokes were outlawed and regulated, every gardener in california would be out of business.

there are no smog checks or any other kind of inspections done to our bikes in order to register them, and there's nothing in any of the laws that say anything about engine origin, pollution, compliance, or whatever, just that they can't be over 2hp, 30mph, and 149cc or less to be considered a "motorized bike."

look in the "laws and legislation" section here to find out all the stuff you need to be legal in CA, and then don't worry about it.

also, most motors have a stamped tag rivited on the side of the clutch-rod cover that states the origin and HP and whatever. i take those off, since Grubee's state "2.75HP" on them. that alone makes it illegal, but what they don't know, won't hurt 'em...

riff44raff

Nov 4, 2010
staton ca
hay bairdco I need to get that registration tag you talked about at the costa mesa dmv do I need to even bring my bike ? do they even look for break lites horn ect and how much is it ?

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
I wouldn't go down to the local DMV - they probably won't even know what to do with your MB. After reading several horror stories about dealing with DMV drones in person, I mailed mine in with a Postal Money Order for $19 and it arrived in that mail in less than 2 weeks.

Fill in and print out this form - Reg 230 and do it by mail. Use the bike's manufacturer and serial number, and if your motor doesn't have a number, just use the bike's number with an "E" in front of it.

riff44raff

Nov 4, 2010
staton ca
too cool thank you I hate going to the dentest and dmv ! do they send me a sticker or some thing and on the form I dont fill in the licens number just the vin or motor number from my bike ?

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Not that it's a bad question, just that there aren't any simple answers, and not just for CA. Even the Japanese made utility engines that sport EPA/CARB II tags specify certified for off-road use.

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
too cool thank you I hate going to the dentest and dmv ! do they send me a sticker or some thing and on the form I dont fill in the licens number just the vin or motor number from my bike ?

They fill in the license plate number on the form when they keep it. You fiill in the VIN (bike serial), engine number (make something up), make of the bicycle, and sections A and D. The DMV will send you a printed registration form and an actual license plate. They look like this:

Nobody from the DMV will inspect your bike. Just make sure it's got all the equipment you need for the first cop who pulls you over. :D

Note that I mistakenly sent in $18 and they still sent me the plate. The correct fee is $19. I recommend a Postal Money Order instead of a personal check. It seems to make the difference between 6 weeks and 2 weeks in turn around.

And it never expires, so you don't have to renew it every year - or ever again for that matter.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
he's right about the dmv. i went to the costa mesa one to get my m2 permit, and the guy at the counter didn't have a clue about how to file the paperwork, even though i had it all with me and filled out.

i also recommend xeroxing the form with your check on it before you send it, in case you get stopped before you get the plate. that way you have proof you're registering it, and they won't bust you. it saved me once in newport from getting a new bike impounded.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I wouldn't go down to the local DMV - they probably won't even know what to do with your MB. After reading several horror stories about dealing with DMV drones in person, I mailed mine in with a Postal Money Order for $19 and it arrived in that mail in less than 2 weeks.

Fill in and print out this form - Reg 230 and do it by mail. Use the bike's manufacturer and serial number, and if your motor doesn't have a number, just use the bike's number with an "E" in front of it.
I went down to the San Diego DMV (University Heights) and had no issues at all I was inspected and plated in about an hour.

riff44raff

Nov 4, 2010
staton ca
hay thank you guys for all the info thats why this form is so cool ! people like you guys anyhow on a side note bairdco I wrote to you a few month back and you said you were thinking of getting the tools to make pipes , headders ? are you doing that I got a sbp tuned expantion chamber pipe and a worksman on the way and want 1 pice headder flange to chamber about 18 inch what do you say ? Iam at pch and newland

riff44raff

Nov 4, 2010
staton ca
back to the subject how are you guys mounting your plates ? annd how are you hooking up the break lights ? do we need a light on the plate ?and a horn or will a bell work what all do we need to be ligal ?and what kind of helmet ? dot 3 or can I use a novilaty type ?

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
mount the plate however you can. they're kinda big and ugly, so its a hassle to find somewhere to put it.

by law, it has to be right-side up, horizontal, and facing the rear. you're not legally allowed to mount them sideways anymore. i still do, though.

you dont need a light on the plate. as for a brake light, thats another thing to figure out yourself. you can buy brake levers with switches built in, or make your own. there's nothing available that i know of for our bikes besides the cheap turnsignal combo thing that looks like a toy.

you need a dot helmet. a novelty, skateboard, or bicycle helmet can get you busted.

if you want to know every law on the books, google "california dmv index M."

scroll down to "motorized bicycle" and there's all the BS you could ever want to know about the law.

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
Where can I find the bicycle serial number?

If I do not find it what do I use as a serial number?

If the bike was made since the 1900s, it probably has a serial number. If not, make something up. Or get a cheap set of stamps from HF and apply your own to the underside of the bottom bracket. But it's probably there somewhere.

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
if you dont have one, i'd definitely stamp one in and use it. when you register your bike, that serial number goes into the database and if a cop pulls you over he might check it. if the serial number doesn't match the plate, it's the same ticket as a car with a different plate, and i don't think it's cheap.

i had a cop in newport check mine, 'cause he's seen me with different bikes, and he wanted to make sure i wasn't just switching plates.

trying to save 19 bucks by switching plates to different bikes will cost you a lot more if you get caught.

also, if the bike is stolen, it's in the system, so if someone else is caught riding it, you might get it back. or if the thief takes the motor off, the bike's still registered in your name. it's basically a stolen vehicle.

UCR-ME

Jan 20, 2012
Riverside CA
They fill in the license plate number on the form when they keep it. You fiill in the VIN (bike serial), engine number (make something up), make of the bicycle, and sections A and D. The DMV will send you a printed registration form and an actual license plate. They look like this:

Nobody from the DMV will inspect your bike. Just make sure it's got all the equipment you need for the first cop who pulls you over. :D

Note that I mistakenly sent in $18 and they still sent me the plate. The correct fee is $19. I recommend a Postal Money Order instead of a personal check. It seems to make the difference between 6 weeks and 2 weeks in turn around.

And it never expires, so you don't have to renew it every year - or ever again for that matter.
Hey I am extremely curios, how did you get your "Identification Card" to read that. I think thats just hilarious and would like to do something along the lines with mine. And I was wondering also are you allowed to make a request for "special/specific characters" for your license plate? Thanks a bunch!

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey I am extremely curios, how did you get your "Identification Card" to read that. I think thats just hilarious and would like to do something along the lines with mine.

It just took a few minutes with Adobe Photoshop.

And I was wondering also are you allowed to make a request for "special/specific characters" for your license plate? Thanks a bunch!

I haven't seen any way to get a vanity plate for MABs. Sorry, you just have to take what the DMV gives you.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
And I was wondering also are you allowed to make a request for "special/specific characters" for your license plate? Thanks a bunch!
The number of motorized bicycle plates issued per year is so few that there will
never be an option of custom plates.
Motorized bicycle / moped plates are not a money maker for the DMV as some
of the paranoid here claim. :)