CDI to Coil?

GoldenMotor.com

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
Is it possible to convert from a CDI unit to a coil? If so, Can you tell me the best coil to get? Thank You.
Why not use what you have.
is there a problem with your current set up?
If it works Don't fix it.( unless your looking to improve for Performance)
If your CDI has failed Why not just use another.

cheers:)

Bob

odds10to1

Aug 20, 2008
North Carolina
www.odds10to1.com
Thank You BlueCollarBike,
Just trying to simplify things. Seems to me a coil would be better than a CDI, plus cheaper also. But I really don't know, I'm not a mechanic. Also, I'm not sure if I have a problem with my CDI. My bike would crank, then stop running. Crank again, then stop running. Then wouldn't crank at all. I'm running into all sorts of problems trying to swithch from Japanese to American. $7.00 for a $1.19 spark plug is rediculas, plus a $6.00 s/h charge on top of that.

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
Just trying to simplify things. Seems to me a coil would be better than a CDI, plus cheaper also. But I really don't know, I'm not a mechanic. Also, I'm not sure if I have a problem with my CDI. My bike would crank, then stop running. Crank again, then stop running. Then wouldn't crank at all. I'm running into all sorts of problems trying to swithch from Japanese to American. $7.00 for a $1.19 spark plug is rediculas, plus a $6.00 s/h charge on top of that.
WHO is the one ripping people off !!

$7 for aspark plug...Your kidding right.rotfl

Your Symptoms may be a lose wire ( cdi) or a sticking kill switch..try unhooking the kill switch and see if it still cuts out.

Let me Know Or give me a ring.

bob:)

BlueCollarBike

860-673-6457

odds10to1

Aug 20, 2008
North Carolina
www.odds10to1.com
The only place I knew of until I stumbled upon 'MotorBicycling.com' was where I bought the motor. They get $7.00 per plug plus $2.00 s/h. They get $21.00 per CDI, plus $5.00 s/h. If you buy both at the same time, you pay both s/h charges also. Their CDI's will only use a plug that has no cap. I was never able to find one that had no cap that was 14mm thread and 11mm reach. Thanks to 'Motorbicycling.com' My problems are being solved at a fraction of what it would have costed me. Thank You again.

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
The only place I knew of until I stumbled upon 'MotorBicycling.com' was where I bought the motor. They get $7.00 per plug plus $2.00 s/h. They get $21.00 per CDI, plus $5.00 s/h. If you buy both at the same time, you pay both s/h charges also. Their CDI's will only use a plug that has no cap. I was never able to find one that had no cap that was 14mm thread and 11mm reach. Thanks to 'Motorbicycling.com' My problems are being solved at a fraction of what it would have costed me. Thank You again.
well for future reference You should look at ngk-b6hs or champion L7J for a spark plug.

And you are able to unscrew the wire from your CDI and rundown to a Auto parts store for a replacement wire.
You can cut the wire you purchase and screw it into the CDI.

hope this helps.

cheers:)

Bob

NickDK

Aug 24, 2008
On my CDI that came with the engine kit the spark plug wire runs directly into the CDI box and there appears to be no way to remove it or open the CDI. How do you guys replace the original spark plug wire with this kind of setup?