what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
That's a good one. I in a pinch used Vinyl Electrical Tape to fix a flat when I rode about 5 miles from home with out patch kit, but had a pump. I took the tube off the rim without taking the wheel off. Can be done with bare hands. Then pumped up to find leak. While still hissing and puffed up a little, used the tape a few times around and then deflate mostly to put all back. It lasted longer than the frame for years. Never did it the right way... so what is right?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Some of the kids are catching on. But some come from a house where I seriously question how many tools their parents have. "Economically depressed" is an apt description of the Mars Hill neighborhood. The one older kid was helping out though; he was taking the nuts off one rear wheel while I was finishing another bike. And I walk the kids through what I'm doing each time, to try to give them an insight into how bikes work. But if business remains brisk, I may have to train an assistant.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
That's really nice, Allen, helping those kids that way. It makes me feel like a selfish rat cuz I went out and fixed my own bike. haha
I haven't been riding or posting for months cuz I've been under the weather as they say since New Years and only this week felt like looking into the trouble with it. A 2 stroke Dax, it had lost power on its last ride and wouldn't pull at all.
I drained the old gas, cleaned the carb's passages and jet, checked the float, tightened the intake, checked the seals, looked for air or oil leakage (nuthin), took off the head for a look in there (nuthin) oiled the bore and put it back together. Aired up the tires and gassed it up.
It runs fine again, I reckon it had some grit in the jet or float passage, starving it for fuel. It actually started right up and idled good cold.
All's well. I do have to pick up a speedo battery, its going down fast.
Fall's almost here, the best months for motorbiking.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Ruined my rear wheel by derailing the chain and it fell between the sprocket and the spokes and ground them up. Got some awesome new wheels machined. I based them off of teny rims, but I wanted to put fatter tires on them, and so I had custom ones made. The entire wheel is made from one piece of magnesium alloy.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Pooh! Ol' Tempus is being a real pain for the first time in many years. I should probably count myself lucky...but that'll be easier to do once everything is taken care of. I at least fixed the shorting problem in the headlight (a screw terminal had loosened far more than I thought possible). And I modified the brake light to a much brighter LED bulb. But I still can't figure out why Tempus won't stay running! I've cleaned the carb, checked the float and needle, and checked that I have consistent spark. Plug isn't fouled. That leaves a clog or deposit someplace in the fuel line, causing it to starve and bog and stall at random. Boy, I'm going to love tearing things apart looking for that. yay. woopee. Tomorrow, the endeavor begins.
In other news, the local kids have been bringing me tires to air up, and seats and handlebars to adjust - due to growth spurts. It's only been a year or two and already Jaden and Cadence are noticeably taller. Those little 20 inchers of theirs which I've tinkered with off-and-on: their parents may be replacing them this Christmas or next. I've lived in this neighborhood since 2009 - I remember when some of these kids had just learned to walk and would stroll by with their parents holding their hand. Now some can almost keep up with my motorbike in a short sprint. Some have been watching me pretty closely, so I've been showing them some basic maintenance. I've told a few that, in another 8 or so years if I'm still living here, they may want to bring their adult bikes around and I'll help 'em do a thorough check-up. I like this little neighborhood. Most of the kids here are pretty healthy and slim and ride bikes all over. Some have told me they don't even have any video games at home ('though they do have computers at school). I tell them they won't miss the video games that much later on, and video games won't take you places or keep you fit. A few of them seem to get it; they really treasure their bikes. It's a good thing to see.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Allen Wrench, I once had a fuel valve that I could not take apart to see why the flow through it was bad. I eventually ran enough gas through it and moved the valve open a shut a number of times and then it got I guess some gunk out. The I hooked it back up to the carb I clean all out and was fine. I may still change the valve one day if need be.

As for kids needing bigger bike, I did partially that. I'm a big kid;) Just for laughs I adapted a 24 inch wheel bike for a Burner bike for one of the times in the past attending Burning Man Event. The seat post I got was high enough for my legs, but then I had to lean to far forward and down to reach the handle bars. I eventually welded even smaller handle bars from a really small kids bike on top of the existing handle bars. Four hand grips take your choice.

See "Art Fish Mobile Motor Bike prior Motor Bike DIY'er build to add side car maybe?"

Page 14, posts 138, 139, & 140

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=14

I've yet to take the motor bike built now using for off road riding and make it an event bike. I have the thing started, but need time to get to it and so later. No ticket this year to the Burning Man Event, but have looked at some pictures of some really good sculptures and mutant vehicles.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I upgraded from a 2-piston Hydraulic front to a 4-piston TRP hydraulic brake. This one was a rear so I had to shorten the hose. It comes with a bleed kit too! $120 not bad at all for a quality single brake and nothing additional needed. Unfortunately my 2-piston wore right down to the pad backing and ate up some of my disc, so I had to replace the disc too. I liked the look of the old disc better, but this one is ok too.

This brake will also take the shimano heat sink pads. Nice to know as many shops carry shimano pads more than any other brake.

Attachments

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
It was yesterday actually, but... I set up a pair of crappy stock tensioners, replaced the bent pivot bolt in my forks, smeared Loctite on everything, and fired her up! All that's left really, is to replace my busted throttle assembly, everything else is more or less optional.
Despite my mushy gushy throttle I took her around the block, even pushed my luck up to 22mph. She rode pretty dadgum smooth. She needs some better brakes, but I need to ride some before I can comment further. Today, it raineth.

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon

new exhaust. it's super nice, although i desire a little more top end and will need to change the crank to a wide crank to avoid the exhaust with my foot.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
I spooled Murder out to 38.9. Felt like the Dax motor wanted to spin even faster, but the rings ain't seated yet, so I backed off. I'm being just as gentle as I can bring myself to be. Got paid today, so I might just order my SBP pipe today...

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Today i post some awesome sticker on my bike now it looks very funky and it looks in the style
Yeah I put one sticker and it added like 2hp brother, for me that was 20%. I got a bunch of these stickers and I sell em for $40 each want one?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Well, since the city has decided that the smaller potholes in certain neighborhoods are no big deal, and seem inclined to fix them when they feel like it, I have dug out the old springer fork from the original incarnation of "Tempus", dusted it off, and began prepping and painting to match the current blazing red paint job.

I also made a brass fuel-overspray shield for the tank. Fresh pics here on the old thread I bumped:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=20966&page=12&highlight=Higgins

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Loaded mine on the back of the car to accompany me on 4 days of camping in NW Arkansas..........going back to the same place as pictured in my avatar. I fully expect the bike's top speed to be about 75mph on this trip.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Okay, I saw somebody mention in the chat box up there ^ that today was National Motorized Bicycle Day. I didn't know if that was true...nor did I actually care; I figured "Any excuse to go for a ride". Now, I didn't really *need* an excuse, but it made for a good reminder anyway. And in case it was a real holiday of sorts, I thought I would do my part to promote awareness (yeah, that's the ticket). So I cruised around the neighborhood here, and checked in with some of the kids whose bikes I'd fixed before. So far, they've all been holding together, which I guess means I've gotten caught up for a while. Waved to a few other "full-size" motorcycle owners who know me. Made a couple fast runs on a quiet, long, straight side-road. Tempus still has it where it counts; she can still go at a good clip. And the new bulb I put in the headlamp is decently bright; even in just twilight. A very pleasant evening ride altogether.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Okay, I saw somebody mention in the chat box up there ^ that today was National Motorized Bicycle Day.
That was me, and it is not National Motorized Bicycle Day, although not a bad idea Allen.

Any day you ride your Motorized Bicycle is Motorbicycling Day. Just a phrase I like to post from time to time to wish all our members to have fun and a great day on their Motorized Bicycles.

Motorbicycling.com = Motorbicycling Day is where I came up with that.

BTW...
The Registrar of National Day Calendar has designated the second Saturday in October of each year as National Motorcycle Ride Day. This day is designated to get all motorcyclists in the USA and the world out and on their motorcycles for a united day of riding. Which just by coincidence is today

Last edited: