Anyone thought about a diesel bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I've posted that link on Dougy's FB messages. Archie's an action man now, competitive air rifle shooter and enthusiastic rugby player.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
UK rules limit muzzle velocity, otherwise it needs a firearms certificate. That's not to say that people who go out rabbitng and ratting haven't "fine tuned" theirs.

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
UK rules limit muzzle velocity, otherwise it needs a firearms certificate. That's not to say that people who go out rabbitng and ratting haven't "fine tuned" theirs.
I've seen that on the forums. There are several online custom airgun sites that are based in UK.
Canada has an even stricter power limit than UK. At least the UK limit is high enough to be useful for small-game hunting.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Air weapons were banned in the 1900s as military weapons under some sort of international covenant, as they had no smoke and were much quieter than a conventional gun, despite having the potential to equal them.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
I have one of those Chinese Yanmar clones, waiting to do a swap into just the right frame. It has to be big and strong because the Yanmar is nearly 100 lbs. Yet the bike cannot be too heavy because it only makes 10hp and I'd really like to see 60mph. 50 will be more likely. My clutch and transmission are a DT200 motor with the crankshft replaced with a jackshaft. This will give me 6 gears and a good clutch. Only problem is to find a large but lightweight frame to take it.

The goal is to make an efficient touring machine that is a bit of a conversation starter. Many of these industrial diesels are not super efficient. Like a Briggs&Stratton, they are more just designed to make rotary motion out of fuel without great regard for efficiency.

As for converting a 2 stroke gas to diesel fuel, it is being done for US Army drones. I think Sonex makes a conversion that uses a special head to burn diesel fed through a carb.

http://sonexresearch.com/technologies/3743046

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
I have one of those Yanmar clones, too. They are popular for motorcycle diesel conversions, especially in the Royal Enfield Bullet (because the Bullet has a separate transmission case). I've read reports of 160 mpg in that application.

OTOH, folks who use that engine with a Comet CVT only seem to get around 100 mpg; which my '74 XL70 with a Chinese 125 clone engine beats handily.
That's a great idea, using the trans from a DT200. I've considered doing something similar with a Honda CB500T.

That's interesting about the drone engine, too. About ten years ago a company called 2SI was doing similar things with a man-portable 2 stroke generator for Army Special Forces.
Speaking of military gear, are you aware of the Kawasaki KLR diesel bike that was built for USMC?

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Yes I am, but it is not a simple conversion. You would need a gov't budget to do it.

I really like the look of the Royal Enfield but cannot throw down their price for a 50mph motorcycle that still only gets 50mpg(imp).

Silly picture of me wanting a Royal Enfield badly:

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Oh yeah! SWEET! but reminds me of what I really need in a legal grey area vehicle, more stealth. Huhhhhh, back to my Grubee....