Finally not so lonely!

GoldenMotor.com

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
The chain will still have some slack after you've removed a bunch of links, but you want the least amount of slack as possible. Then install the idler.

Your frame and your idler mount might not be playing nice and you might have to heat and bent the long side back a little to get it to cooperate.

Oh, yeah. Don't rush.
I learned that the hard way. ;)

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Yes you are so right, I need to remove some links, and bend it, thank you for the idea of heating it when I do bend it, would not of thought of that!! Yes my mount and frame do not play well together I think my frame is a tiny bit too big for the curves in the mount, but with heating and bending I think she will work.... Or get pissed off at her and buy a bad a** tensioner off ebay I seen!! LOL

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey rossrider, have you considered going without the tensioner? I avoid them if I have clearance and use a spring loaded tensioner on the pedal chain if needed, as shown in the photo. These items are available on ebay or you can modify an old derailleur. Eliminating it would save the worry of getting it into the spokes. When I have no choice but to use a tensioner, I drill a 3/16'' hole through the outside right into the frame and install a stainless pop rivet to keep it from twisting.
Very nice looking bike. You won't have any trouble getting looks. The bike either.

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Msrfan: OMG I love that set up.. I seen spring loaded idlers on ebay and have been thinking of spending the extra $ on one.. I HATE the idler they give in this kit its the 2 bolt frame with the wheel. HATE it!!!! I love the idea of a spring loaded one!! ...:) And I think the bike will get more looks than me, the only looks I get are "stare at the tattoed out chick so there must be something wrong with her" or the "are those real" looks.. LOL so Im hoping the bike will take the attention!!!! LOL :p

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Now the tensioner in your case the long side should go out then, because that way is just not working for you, I ran downstairs to look at mine, and by looking at it, I know that won't work with mine either.

Use a piece of innertube to stop your tensioner from moving (ever!).

And one more thing, get a big adjustable wrench put it to the bottom part while it's on your bike, then get a channel lock or vice grips and someone strong to bend your tensioner at the proper angle so it runs true with the chain, instead of the bad angle which runs parallel with your chainstay otherwise. (chainstay is what the tensioner is bolted to)

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yeah, if you absolutely have to have a drive chain tensioner, get a quality one. There's a lot of threads on the subject and some members have made really nice custom ones. I think Jeff at culvercityclassics makes the coolest. Also, check some of the vendors.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I must disagree in the prudence of putting inner tube between the steel as my experience with inner tube is that it moves when placed under extreme amounts of torque.

That these engines make when operating. :D

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
HMMMMM!!! Dodgedude94.. yanking the cap out of the exhaust!?!.. now there is a bad ass idea..LOL.. god my neighbors would hate me, but it is a good revenge being I hear him rum up his truck at all hours of the flippin night!! Lol.. Toadmund: I think I may flip it just to see "if" it will align a little better, but even then I know it is going to have to be bent no matter which way it is!! OK do I need to start a poll discussion.. intertube or no intertube that is the question! LOL

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo

Every time I look at my bike or try to work on it this is what my boy does... Uhhh are we ready to go yet or not mom!! LOL had to share thought it was funny!!

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Oh yeah and from top pic also I got my new rack bags in the mail today!! Still waiting for my rack! Thats why its just drapped over the back fender! LOVE them got them off ebay for 18.oo brand new!!!

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
HMMMMM!!! Dodgedude94.. yanking the cap out of the exhaust!?!.. now there is a bad ass idea..LOL.. god my neighbors would hate me, but it is a good revenge being I hear him rum up his truck at all hours of the flippin night!! Lol.. Toadmund: I think I may flip it just to see "if" it will align a little better, but even then I know it is going to have to be bent no matter which way it is!! OK do I need to start a poll discussion.. intertube or no intertube that is the question! LOL
If you yank the exhaust cap it WILL be loud. I'm getting old, that's why I put mine back in but drilled it out. Just make sure you're not running too lean.

Every time I look at my bike or try to work on it this is what my boy does... Uhhh are we ready to go yet or not mom!! LOL had to share thought it was funny!!
FLUFFY!

Sorry, I like cats.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Don't use rubber! Install the tensioner and tighten it down good so it will not move at all, then bend it to align it with chain wherever it falls on your frame. (if possible, sometimes it just won't work.)
I usually find they need a bend towards the wheel, and a twist to line things up. I use BIG crescent wrenches and LOTS of elbow, but heating it cherry red makes it easy to bend.
Eyeball it ON the frame,then remove it and bend it OFF the frame until it lines up
Or, if you have access to a welder, do this:

Cut off the slotted section of the kit tensioner and weld it on the frame.

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Ohhh even drilling it out is a good idea! LOL.. oh im sure your not getting old your just getting to be more polite! LOL.. but anything to piss of my neighbors I am in, they have NO respect for my property and loud noise at 3-4am!!! *ssholes!! I myself love my cats too! My favorite is Butters my boy on the bike, I know good mommies arent supposed to have favorites but he rocks!! He is my best friend and the only thing that will ever love me UNCONDITIONALLY no human will or would ever do that!!

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Ohhh even drilling it out is a good idea! LOL.. oh im sure your not getting old your just getting to be more polite! LOL.. but anything to piss of my neighbors I am in, they have NO respect for my property and loud noise at 3-4am!!! *ssholes!! I myself love my cats too! My favorite is Butters my boy on the bike, I know good mommies arent supposed to have favorites but he rocks!! He is my best friend and the only thing that will ever love me UNCONDITIONALLY no human will or would ever do that!!
What I did with mine was I drilled out the little "tip" to a larger size and tried to take off as much on the inside with a dremel as I could. And I tried to taper the outer portion of the "tip". It quieted it down from running what is basically a straight pipe but still took away the neutered string trimmer sound. (seriously, I have lawn equipment with more aggressive exhaust notes)

Tried filing a noise complaint with the popo? lol

Awwww. :) Cute cat.

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
OHH Maniac57, now your making me want to go visit a buddy of mine in kansas! He is the motorcycle God and can build and make anything! That is an awesome idea!! Stupid question but can you weld to aluminum?? I dont think you can, can you???? Hmm blonde moment!!!

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Dodge dude94 that is something I am seriously going to consider once everything is done and she is on the road! I love that rougher, meaner sound, especially on hot rods (Mopar all the way here)! Going to sooo do that! I try not to get cops involved too much, but the 3 strikes and your out is definitly a motto in my book, so far its been 2!! Next one I am not going to be nice after thatg YES maybe a badge will change there mind!!??.. why do some people act as if the whole world belongs to them?? Uhh.. LOL

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Dodge dude94 that is something I am seriously going to consider once everything is done and she is on the road! I love that rougher, meaner sound, especially on hot rods (Mopar all the way here)! Going to sooo do that! I try not to get cops involved too much, but the 3 strikes and your out is definitly a motto in my book, so far its been 2!! Next one I am not going to be nice after thatg YES maybe a badge will change there mind!!??.. why do some people act as if the whole world belongs to them?? Uhh.. LOL
Not sure it will sound meaner, but it will sound rather dirtbike-ish, unlike some of the expansion chambers out for these engines. And you like Mopar, you and I will get along just fine. ;)

Hopefully you'll get the neighbors figured out. Though, I had a problem with my neighbors for a while, they were total jerks. If you want the entire story, PM me. lol

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Dodgedude94, hey even dirt bike-ish sound is good! Lol and yes Mopar is the **** I owned a 1970 cuda 340 V-8 until it got taken from me.. that is one of my projects I will one day work on is getting another one again!! Hellz yes, that and a Challenger!!! The new ones are kick a** too I think!

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I wouldn't yank the cap out until you've ridden it a bit. Don't be like me and completely disregard the break-in procedures. :D

lol
I've got a 98 Ram and a 76 D200 with a 400 bb, since this thread has now gone off topic. :D