Fuel tank keeps leaking

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I've had it up to here with the stock fuel tank. For weeks it's been leaking where two of the studs come out. I've patched them with JB Weld, on both the inside and out, and they STILL leak!

I want to build a new gas tank, but I don't want to sink a lot of money into one. I'm thinking of building it out of something existing, like some kind of metal container(which I have found to be rare these days). I'd really like to build a gas tank out of one of those Heineken mini kegs, but I don't want to pay $30 and that beer tastes like a donkey's rear.

Anyone have any ideas on a relatively cheap container I could build a fuel tank out of?

.wee.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Soup can is actually a pretty good idea. Actually, Wal-mart sells huge cans of peaches for something like $4, so maybe I'll go with that. I might have to find a way to make it less recognizable as a tin can.

I'll look out for a Fosters can, but it'll have to be strong enough.

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
I was concerned with the same thing happening to the studs on my tank as the torque required to hold it in place seemed a little much for the thin metal. I resolved it by attatching my tank with a piece of heavy duty velcro tape. The tape alone seemed strong enough to hold it in place, so I just had to tighten it to snug.

If I want to replace the tank I can just pull it off, leave half the tape on the bike side, and add the opposite side of the velcro to the new tank. I also cut the tape to allow my brake line to run through the length of velcro which took any pinching concern off the line.