Need a Tune-Up in Chicago

GoldenMotor.com

Dr. Bob

Jul 7, 2011
Chicago
I live in Logan Square and can't find a bike shop to do a simple tune-up for my motorized bicycle! Help! Anyone know where I can take it?

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Hey Dr Bob... The more you are around these bikes the more you will learn that bike shops are more or less purists and most turn their noses up at us MBers. Heck I rode in to a local shop and the guy wouldn't even sell me an inner tube... Best bet is to ask simple questions here or find a group of MBers in your area and learn to tune your own bike or get one of them to do it for you. I will tell you that these things are really pretty simple but have special quirks and even if you went to a small engine mechanic like for chain saws or lawn mowers (if they would even touch it which most wont) it would be hit and miss whether they could actually make your ride run better than it already does.

Last edited:

Dr. Bob

Jul 7, 2011
Chicago
Thanks for the response Mark. So I guess I will take it in for a routine bicycle tune-up (brakes, tires, etc) to make sure all is good and I'll try and take care of the motor myself. There appears to be some leakage, but its hard to tell where its coming from, although it does seem to be coming from some of the tubing and the connectors. Any advice for resolving this leakage? Maybe a better clamp or some adhesive to wrap around the tubes/connectors? As for maintenance, any thing I could be doing to ensure that everything runs well and reliably?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I agree with Mark. Ya really can do just about every thing with simple tools and some reading and or researching. Youtube has a ton and I mean a ton of vids on every thing ya wanna do.

A really cool part of doing your own stuff, when or before some thing goes wrong, not only can you fix it, ya can feel it before it can hurt ya! (most times)

And ya got us if ya need any help. Some one has done, tried or is thinking of trying just about every thing we are considering. Is so dang cool to live in the internet age !!

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Really as for a tune up there is very little to do on the china engines. You can remove the head and make sure there is no carbon on top of the cylinder and inside the head. If there is it is cleanable with a wire brush and carb cleaner then reinstall the head with a new gasket and torque the bolts in a cross wise manner to 100 inch pounds. If it has acorn nuts that bolt the head on I replace them with regular 6x1 metric nuts as the acorn nuts have a tendency to bottom out and not really tighten the head down. Yow can also make sure the head is true (not warped) by flattening it with some medium grit sand paper on a piece of glass. And a good quality new plug never hurts LOL...

You can also increase some performance by porting and polishing the intake and exhaust in the manner described in this thread:

Port Matching

There are also some high performance ignition CDIs available like the one from J&N Motors that allow you to tailor the ignition to your riding habits and increase performance.

As for the fuel line if you have the stock clear tubing throw it away and get some 3/16" neoprene fuel line at Auto Zone and a couple of good screw clamps.

Good luck getting a bike shop to even touch the bike though as long as it has a motor on it...

If you have any problems there are lots of good folk here with a lot of knowledge they are happy to share or PM me and I will help if I can.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Dr. Bob another tip I would suggest is that you check out the Member Map. I know there are a bunch of members in or near Chicago that you can probably network with to help you out... I am sure you can just search for them on the forum if they dont have contact info listed on the map...

Come to think of it Prussian Shop Dogs is a regular here and he is well knowledged on the bikes and in Waukeegan Illinois and I am sure would be happy to help you out or at least help you find someone close to you...

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I did not think to suggest that Mark! Doc there is a whole lotta folks up your way. A great thing about our crazy lil bunch of folks (and your now one of em) is they really enjoy helping out fellow MBers.

Can look up by http://motorbicycling.com/f18/search-location-17642.html#post172197 I can't suggest this strongly enough. Try and hit some local rides. Great, great learning experience. Will answer questions like you wouldn't believe.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Great, great learning experience. Will answer questions like you wouldn't believe.
If they are anything like my locals you forgot to add:

• Dirty Up your tools and garage.
  • Try to burn down your garage with your torch or welder.
  • Hit on your girlfriend.
  • Drink all of your beer.
  • Drink your last beer.
  • Argue about everything from the Pope to Politics.
  • Back their bikes up to your neighbors door and rev their engine thinking it is your house.
  • Try to teach your dog to smoke.
  • Pee in your yard.

And that is the short list. All in all you will love them since they are just like family... The really nice thing is they dont mind too much if you reciprocate when you visit their home or shop for the most part.

Last edited:

Dr. Bob

Jul 7, 2011
Chicago
Thanks for the responses...very helpful. My commute to work is rather bumpy with lots of potholes and bumps...I'm worried about the toll that may be taking on my bike. Any advice ??

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Easy first fix for bumpy is springer forks forward. Makes for a much better and fun ride too.

Read reviews before buying! I got a set from a dealer here who knew they were bad and dangerous months before he sold them to me.

I ended up taking a set off an $85 wally world bike and they are awesome. Makes a world of difference on ruff roads.

Last edited: