Salutations

GoldenMotor.com

Peter.A

Jun 9, 2011
Chicago
Hello Forum goers. My names Pete and I am completely new to anything motor oriented and I thought motorized bikes would be an excellent place to start learning about anything motorized that wouldn't kill my college budget. If anyone is willing I just need a starting place since I have been reading through the forums and learning a bunch but I need a good cheap engine kit that I can strap on to a bike. I live in Chicago during the year but an originally from San Francisco so anything that can do moderate hills without exploding would be fantastic.
thanks a bunch,

-Pete

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Hey Pete,what type of bike do you have.Sometimes the cheapest kit is not the way to go..imo

Peter.A

Jun 9, 2011
Chicago
I have a bike but she's a little beat up and rusted, so I when I get back to Chicago I was going to find a bike on craigslist that could hold up a little better. Would you recommend using a road or mountain bike?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
When it comes to motorizing a bike and being completely new to mechanics, start with what you have. It doesn't matter if the bike is rusted ot beat up. As long as your rims are in good shape and all your cables are in good shape and your brakes work, you can use it, providing the engine will fit in the frame. Pretty much any bike with 26 inch wheels will hold a 2 stroke. As far as hills go, you might have to pedal-assist the engine sometimes, but these engines are made to be pedal assisted. The engine does usually make pedaling a lot easier. If you have a mountain bike, you should be able to make it up even the steepest hills without a ton of pedaling. Being new to mechanics, it would be best to find a buddy that has more experience than you do. A cheap kit is ok to start with, because if you mess something up, its cheap to replace. Don't order from gasbike.net or kingsmotorbike.com. They are the same company, and have a habit of taking people's money and not delivering the product that was ordered.