My new OP Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I forgot to mention that I still have lights left to install and I plan on ordering a black springer front end to help absorb some of these Illinois pot holes!LOL

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Bell makes or maybe I should say made that tool bag. I found mine hanging at the end of a bicycle isle at my local walmart. They was covered in a bunch of dust like they had been hanging there for a very long time......so I am not sure if Bell still makes that particular style bag or not and if you go to walmart website and punch in my local store it doesn't even show they have them...so not sure if they are still made by Bell or not. They did have 4 or 5 left hanging at the end of the isle at the walmart in Canton, Illinois and I think the price tag said $15, but they must have been on clearance or something because it rang up at $10 at the register. Anyhow it is a handy little retro style bag that I can keep a few tools in and adds to the styling of the bike I think. Thanks for the compliment!

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Great lookin build so far! The OP frame is very similar to the stile of my Sims (in cruisers section) Have you considered eliminating the regular tank and hiding a smaller tank inside your bar bag? Might look kinda cool......as long as your not takin long trips between gas stations! Anyways Awesome bike....keep us posted!
-Dan

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Got my chain guard mounted and installed a light kit kit since my last photo. I still need to get me a set of black springer forks ordered, but having a bit of trouble finding a set that has a long enough steering tube. I like the looks of the bike without the fenders, but I am thinking now after taking a short trip the other day when the streets were wet that maybe some fenders would be a good thing and save me and the bike from getting slopped up. Been alot of fun tooling around town on and has sure drawn alot of interest.

Attachments

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Pretty smooth Captain - :)

Love the bag and seat.

Spend 20 bucks and put a front brake on it. Unless that is a part of the springer plan.

Yeah, I got a stripe up my back in wet too!

But the brake is more important than the fenders.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Mike

I had planned on looking into either caliper or disc brakes on the front, but I wanted to get the springer front forks on there and then see what complications there might be in installing the brakes with those installed. I am 6'2" and 230lbs....so I agree with you that more stopping power is a must. I don't bounce near as good at 40 years old as I did when I was 10. A trip over the handle bars and onto the black top was an everyday thing when I was 10, but at 40....I prefer not to endure any spills like that. LOL Thanks for the compliments and good tips.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
A set of front and rear caliper brakes would install on that bike easy peasy. Check my build thread for links and photos to the brakes I used on my bike. Would be even easier on yours.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's great, 2 thumbs up. I love those Rollers anyway.

Can the chain guard, it's got to go man.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
If it was only me riding the bike I would probably have opted to leave the chain guard off, but as a dad who has two teenage daughters that may want to take a spin on their dads "lame mobile".......I figured I had better put the guards on. I am thinking my springer front forks once I get them ordered and installed might add just enough "coolness" to the bike that my daughters might have to rethink the terminology they use to describe my motorized bike!LOL I also got me a skull cap and some chrome googles to wear on my cruises, but both girls threatened to disown their father if I wore that in public and especially by any friends houses! he he he Thanks for the two thumbs up.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
The lights are 6v and 3watt which I guess the white wire from the engine is supposed to handle. I may buy a switch and wire it up to run off the engine to see how it effects the performance of the spark. I don't plan on doing much cruising after dark, but just in case I do get caught out in the dark.....the lights will nice. I to wondered how long that little generator would hold up when it is running against the wheel, but since I mainly use my motorized bike for running to get the mail and other short jaunts......I mainly just putt around 20 mph and under. I did install a new digital wireless speedometer today and opened her up on a flat stretch just to see the top end. I reached a blazing 30 mph with the wind at my back running with a 41 tooth sprocket and gas mixed 20:1! That is plenty fast on a bike as far as I am concerned.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Forgot to mention that I also got my springer forks on order. I opted for the chrome ones....so I hope the chrome is good and holds up without flaking at least for awhile. I did have to shuck out some extra money for a longer steering tube. Not sure why the OP Roller uses such a long steering tube, but perhaps they make them larger due to fact that the frames are aluminum????

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Thanks Greg. That seat was a good investent and in my opinion is 150% more comfortable then the stock seat. It really absorbs the bumps nicely and the worst part of the ride now is slight shock to the arms due to no front suspension.....so I am really hoping the springer forks I ordered take care of that problem. Should be an overall really nice comfortable ride once I get those installed. I make my living as a bricklayer...so when I get home from work and wanna take a spin on the bike....I don't wan't to subject my body to any more torture that day.LOL

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Mike

I have had mine up to 30mph just to see if it would do it, but I think 20-25mph is about the perfect cruising speed...at least on this particular bike. I live in a small town of 300 people and we are never in too big of hurry to get anywhere too fast.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah baby!

I like that it pulls up to speed quick and I don't have to pedal much before I pop the clutch. It gets to 25 plenty quick eh? I like that.

At 25, the vibes get bad and my eyes tear up, so I get double feedback. Time to back off.

Yup 20 - 25 is my speed on this.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have also found that 25 to 26 is a good ride on my bike, I did 37.5 miles on monday staying in that range.