which is the best kit?

GoldenMotor.com

dvgstn33

Nov 16, 2010
MI
I'm new to motorized bicycles. I was wondering what was the most reliable and user friendly engine kit is.

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
I am also new here, but let me answer your question with another question..

What kind of budget are you working with?

If you don't really have one, I'd say go with a Morini motor. Now, this isn't a kit, so I am thinking it would be out of the question. But it has been said to be the best and most reliable motors.

Now, to the part you probably care about the most.. All of the kits are actually quite similar as far as I can tell. There may be slight differences, but in the end the ones you will most likely look into getting will be all Chinese manufactured.
I personally have a Grubee Skyhawk gt5. It has been running quite well for me and I have only had to do a few minor tweaks to keep it going strong. After about 2-3 weeks of getting to know the engine and getting it working properly, I feel it is now running with no problems at all and I can fully enjoy each of my rides.

So, where do you go from here?
Well, you can wait for some more experienced members to chime in (which I would suggest) But while you wait, do some research on different kits that you have your eye on. Check the options out on different sites.

Btw, I am thinking about making a switch to the friction drive 4 stroke eventually. You can install those kits in an hour or less. They seem more reliable, but 4-strokes run at lower rpms, so you may be giving up a little bit of high end speed. But the thing will still be pretty quick! 4-stroke kits are a little more pricey too, but for sure worth checking out.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
i own 2 gt5 kits. the first one ran great, and the second one has not been used yet. but iv had it mostly all apart, and it all looks good.:) plus i added things like lock tight and new hardware to hold her together...

some simple precautions and replacements to any kit will save you a pain in the neck down the road. i have also owned a zoombikes kit. and its just as good as the shyhawk motor.(its on a friends bike now) it just came with a few different things, carb/extras. befor i rebuilt, and gave my ZB motor away. i used a few parts in my shyhawk when it broke. its all the same stuff, with a different sticker on the clutch cover. if any sticker.lol

i think most people go with kits that A. come with the carb and other kit junk they want. or B. that have a good warranty. because they are all mostly the same motors, with slight differences in what comes with the kits. get one from a site that will replace your motor if you get a junk one..

it dose happen, people get brand new motors that wont run. or that come brock and banged up.. make sure you dont get stuck with a $200 pile off cheep china parts..lol

good luck:)

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I have burned 3 engines already. And I'm still waiting to burn my engine with Rock Solid HP engine. It has stalled due to overheating, but after cooling down. It started right away and still kept on going and using it to this day. I use my MB almost everyday, and have the engine from Rock Solid for more than year now without any major breakdowns. The drive sprocket is unlike any other kit I have. It can't be filed down to have a smoother chain action. You'll have to use a grinder and it does take some time.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
OP roller.usflg
I have an OP Roller with the GT5 kit....I bought it second hand and it wasn't running, but after a few hours of figuring out what was wrong it's been running like a Swiss watch ....loads of torque w/o much vibrations ....the GT5 fits perfectly in there .....
I usually use the Zoom kits ....I've over 5K miles with their 49cc motor and it's has NEVER given me any problems whatsoever ...other than adjusting the idle and of course torquing bolts every now and then ....your best bet is to do some research ....and go from there .....hope this helps ...

Salty.shft.

BOSCO

Mar 28, 2011
Arkansas
.cs.I'm also new to motor bicycling and looking to find a quality motor. I stumbled upon this site (great site btw, learned a lot about MBs here) while browsing for motor kits as I plan to make a board track racer inspired bike. Some stuff i have read says that Grubees are the outright best, and other stuff says that there is no difference between those engines and generic chinese kits. I'm wondering if it would be worth the extra 40 bucks to go ahead and buy a Skyhawk 48cc kit or if i should go with a generic motor as linked below and spend the savings on a better sprocket/spark plug/etc. Does it really make a difference?

Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Motor - Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Engine Kit - 66cc Bicycle Engine Kit

Idm666

Mar 30, 2011
Tacoma
I have the same question i have been looking at the Grubee gt5 sr or called the super rat i want the extra power but how good is it or should i get a diffrent kit

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
.cs.I'm also new to motor bicycling and looking to find a quality motor. I stumbled upon this site (great site btw, learned a lot about MBs here) while browsing for motor kits as I plan to make a board track racer inspired bike. Some stuff i have read says that Grubees are the outright best, and other stuff says that there is no difference between those engines and generic chinese kits. I'm wondering if it would be worth the extra 40 bucks to go ahead and buy a Skyhawk 48cc kit or if i should go with a generic motor as linked below and spend the savings on a better sprocket/spark plug/etc. Does it really make a difference?

Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Motor - Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Engine Kit - 66cc Bicycle Engine Kit

i have run 2 skyhawks and a ZB motor(all 66cc).. they have all been fine so far. i have had some things fail. but mostly its stuff that came with the kit, not the motor itself. and you will have that with use anyway.

i can say i would by another ZB motor if i could get one in black. i cant find a place that has them or ships to the USA.. but here is a link to one in standard finish. and its from a solid dealer, cant beat that.:)

ZB-80 Slant head Limited Edition Standard Finish

mostly i think people pick china two stroke kits based on two things. 1. legit dealer(warranty and such). and 2. a kit with the things they want such as...motor size, carb, color and things like that. because for the most part they really are the same. people get bunk skyhawks, and they are i think the biggest seller.

just be sure to have a warranty, and the rest is just picking what kit works best for what you need and want. good luck.

jude

Feb 16, 2009
australia,nsw
i love Rock Solid Engines , i haven't met anybody in Aus with morini , but i have a hp70cc from rocksolid and i can sit on 65-70kms/hr , i also run a shift kit , tuned pipe from sick bike parts , digital taco , digital temp gauge , delorto race carb , shaved head , if any info wanted let me know , my bike is on youtube under juderoberts1of , cheers mate.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
i have run 2 skyhawks and a ZB motor(all 66cc).. they have all been fine so far. i have had some things fail. but mostly its stuff that came with the kit, not the motor itself. and you will have that with use anyway.

i can say i would by another ZB motor if i could get one in black. i cant find a place that has them or ships to the USA.. but here is a link to one in standard finish. and its from a solid dealer, cant beat that.:)

ZB-80 Slant head Limited Edition Standard Finish

mostly i think people pick china two stroke kits based on two things. 1. legit dealer(warranty and such). and 2. a kit with the things they want such as...motor size, carb, color and things like that. because for the most part they really are the same. people get bunk skyhawks, and they are i think the biggest seller.

just be sure to have a warranty, and the rest is just picking what kit works best for what you need and want. good luck.
I know where to get jet engines that zoom used to carry..

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
I think they are the best i wont even bother ever buying another grubee considering the 3 i baught were all crappers.

kb71968

Apr 4, 2011
florida
Hi, first time on this site. I also ride a motorized bike. The engine that I use is a Bumble Bee Bolt -On friction wheel drive kit. I love it . Very reliable not much to go wrong. Comes completely built,onlytakes a few minutes to even install. I have heard how some engines are difficult to put together and very hard to get parts.Not my engine,built here in the good ole USA .I have had this engine for over a year now. They have a web site bumblebeebolton.com Check it out . They also have great online instructions.Ride Safe.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I think they are the best i wont even bother ever buying another grubee considering the 3 i baught were all crappers.
Right, before you buy a new Grubee, look at the forum posts about the new CNS carburetor those kits come with. A lot of people are having trouble setting adjusting/tuning them.
A guy in the neighborhood here bought one of those kits, and could not get the idle set, and it would not run well at higher speeds.
Around two weeks after he bought the kit, he dumped the engine and bike on Craigslist and gave up on the Motorized Bicycle hobby.

Umaxen

Aug 3, 2011
usa
Hello, From what I have seen so far, the best "engine kit" would be any of the set-ups from Staton.com The mounts and all hardware are made by Staton themselves and are super heavy duty, not a toy. The engines are either Honda, Subaru, Tenaka or Tekumseh. You can also choose between friction drive with a number of different rollers or chain drive, also with various gear sizes. Not the cheapest, but I hear these last as long as a typical motorcycle engine. The site says up to "50,000" miles out of them because they are engineered to last. From around $350 to $650. I don't think they have generators, so don't know about lighting. The lighting is what has kept me from buying one. Want to be able to get it licensed as a moped since the police love writing tickets...