Will a 24 tooth work?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikewithamotor

Nov 18, 2009
Hope Valley
Hey guys, I have a 80cc and it seems like my engine is plenty powerful to pull a 24t rear sprocket which i found online. (The regular is a 44)

Will my engine have enough power if I am on the road? Thanksxct2

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Well I am going to sub out the 44 for the 24. I'm wondering if it will work though because the shift kit that you can buy for your engine uses the 24 tooth.

What do you think?
Try stepping down to a 36T. The engine will still pull it, although you will loose some low speed performance and acceleration.

I'm fairly certain that a 24T is too small to drill for the rag joint wheel mount. Even if you can get it to work by some other means...I can assure you that you will not like the effect of a 24T sprocket!

The shift kit has been designed to use the smaller sprockets that are on the rear cluster of a multi-speed bike. There is a primary reduction through the jackshaft prior to the final drive.

Jim

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a question... How much do you weigh??
If your real skinny like Baird (130 lbs), you can run something small like a 30T.

*edit* I'm over 200 lbs, & I use a 40T.

Last edited:

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
Bikewithamotor, what is the diameter of your 24 tooth sprocket?

Here's a question... How much do you weigh??
If your real skinny like Baird (130 lbs), you can run something small like a 30T.
Baird is running 24" wheels which makes a difference of over 3 MPH at 7000 RPM
and
his motor is hotted up and much faster than stock....

Stock motor with 26" wheels should not go lower than 35/ 36 teeth on fairly flat ground

Go bigger if you are heavy and have a lot of hills
Altitude will decrease your performance too

24 tooth sprocket will give you a top speed of 55 MPH at 7000 RPM
which your engine will never pull

Last edited:

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I have ran a 25T. It is too much for the motor to pull. These egines can only do so much. You wouldn't think that just a couple teeth would make so much of a difference.

I currently run a 28T. I'm 5'9" 205lbs. and I cruise at about 35MPH on my bike. It has the usual updates... plug, wire and air filter. I don't have any hills to contend with and I'm a clutch rider (I don't pedal to take off....)

The 35MPH is on my Worksman, my stretch is much heavier (same 28T) and although it is not broke in, I'm positive it won't do 35.

So.... try the 24. Let us know how it works (or not) for you.

For the "Purist" out there. These are not GPS clocked speeds... just my trusty digital speedo.

Last edited:

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Just dropped in... help me with the math...

130lb = 30 tooth with 26" wheels, (head scratching repeatedly) higher math calculating air density etc

so with 26" @ my weight I guess I'll need a 65 tooth. Thanks guys! couldn't have done it without ya!!

LOL Mac

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Just dropped in... help me with the math...

130lb = 30 tooth with 26" wheels, (head scratching repeatedly) higher math calculating air density etc

so with 26" @ my weight I guess I'll need a 65 tooth. Thanks guys! couldn't have done it without ya!!

LOL Mac
what the....

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
AHA!

Probably work well if you peddle up 15 or 20 and then take off! Be pretty fast I guess.

But won't pull well from start or uphill- too much torque like that on the motor only breaks things quickly.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
STV1,
Just goofing around. I always over think things, besides, I'm not that "Large" LOL

Mac