Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I'll be the first to say this.
That head is the coolest thing I seen today!
That's gonna leave a manly scar for shure!!

Yea. I need to wear a helmet.

I seen them rather cheap at the thrift stores,like 2 bucks.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
That's kind of the response I was going for.

If seeing that pic will persuade someone to wear a helmet...it's worth it.

Oh, there's only three staples in the pic. She stapled four times though.

I've been messed up in the military before and this is the first time I've used the term excruciating in reference to pain.

I broke into a sweat when she flushed it with solution.

After she finished flushing it she went right into..

"OK, we're going to give you staples now."

"Whoa , whoa, whoa. Let me recover from that. You plan on numbing me at all?"

"No, we can't." and started to place the stapler to my head

I stopped her... "Wait a minute. You plan on stapling my head while I'm sitting up?"

"Yeah."

"Do me a favor and put your finger where the first staple is going."

She did.

"Now, press on my head."

Had her do that at each spot where a staple was going in.

After that I stood up, disconnected all the monitoring equipment that was on me, and asked her to lay the bed flat.

"Why?"

"Just work with me here"

She got the bed flat, I laid down and hooked my feet at one end, grabbed the other end with my hand and told her "Do what you've gotta do."

She got nervous.

First staple didn't go in right so she hit it again.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like I'm getting staples in my head. Why are you shaking?" rotfl

She popped the other two in, I got up, and she bolted out of the room.

Didn't see her again the entire time I was there. rotfl

What's funny about the whole situation is that my wife was (and still is) deployed to Afghanistan. While I was laying on the bed in the ER waiting to go get the CAT scan she called!

She asked me "What'd you do today?"

"Nothing much, just worked on the tile in the bathroom and picked my bike up from the shop."

"What are you doing now?"

"Nothing much. Sitting here watching the news."

So we chatted for about five minutes before they came in and said it was time for the CAT scan.

Told her I had to go, that the guy helping me with the tile in the bathroom needed help.

A week later she came to the States for two weeks on leave. She saw the strawberry on my forearm near the elbow...in the airport.

"What'd you do to your arm?"

I pointed..."Same thing I did to my head."

She slapped the crap out of me. Hit me HARD on the arm. rotfl

"What'd you do to your HEAD!"

"Mountain bike."

So then I had to explain the whole thing to her and tell her the story.

She's due back in about 3 weeks and insists that I don't hurt myself before she gets back "I want you to be 100% when I get back this time."

Funny stuff.

Bunch of my buddies had fun making motivational type posters.

Here's one that I thought was funny.

Man ... I mean ... Man! I could only look at the picture sort of skwinting sideways ... then I read your description and I think it was worse than the picture. Thank God you're OK. Maybe this is a wakeup call for all of us that need it?! Excellent tip. Many thanks and much respect to you and your wife for the military service. Stay safe and God bless................

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That is gonna make for one heck of a nice scar.

Nothing like empirical testing to find out the old melon is not as hard as whatever it's going up against!

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
aside from andyinchville is there anyone who knows of a dealer or persons who sell rear sprockets. The multi colored versions I've yet to see on any bike are really not the cutting edge of gas-bike fashion. I only interested in a good 38 0r 40T sprocket thanks

J Slay

Jan 8, 2009
massachusetts
Hello all, In regards to motorized bike gas tanks from china....
Just wanted to mention that pg.9 of instructions at gasbike highly recommends (made in somis ca.) to use KREEM tank liner coating inside tank before using. lots of good ideas guys! j

Graham

Jan 19, 2009
boston, ma
make sure you have the carb slide straight before giving your bike a test run, unless you like suddenly flying into open traffic

skaz

Jan 27, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Starfire Gen II engines have a hole in the right side of the engine case to run your clutch cable through instead of having a mounted perch, like most other China Girl engines.

Graham

Jan 19, 2009
boston, ma
I dont know if this was already stated, if it was i appologize for being redundant ( just didnt want to read through 17 pages of posts). But Ive gotten in the habbit of throwing my chain breaker in my back pack when i go on rides. That way worst case scenario somthing goes wrong, you can break the chain and ride the bike back home normal.

hawaiioutdoors

Jun 18, 2008
Heavy Duty Wheel Tip.

With the bicycles going faster, both gas and electric. The Bicycle parts used must be up to the challenge. I had a cutom rear wheel made up to take the abuse of a GEBE. Usually the spokes start breaking. But this tip can be used on any motorized bicycle.
I used a ebay as a source of parts.
I purchased a excel 21x1.6 inch front dirtbike rim... This is equal to a 26 inch mountain bike rim.
I purchased a heavy duty down-hill mtb hub.
I sent everything off to "The WheelMaster" The Wheel Master
who laced it up with 8 guage stainless spokes...He has 9 and 10 availabe...just the holes in my rim was too large to fit those.
There might be other great wheelsmiths out there, but he did good by me.
I had the wheel offset so that the GEBE ring would clear the 2.75 inch
DOT motorcycle tire that I will use. 2.5 inch tires are available.
This will hopefully keep me from getting flats, or bursting at speed.
I purchased the Michelin bias-ply Trial tire..l. not trail tire...

.shft.

Last edited:

Earthman

Mar 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: take a tip...leave a tip...or a bunch of 'em

These engines were originally made to haul around people for a tiny sip of fuel, low operating costs, and ease of MAINTENANCE....kinda like the old V-Dub beetle. Or the early Honda step through. Or the model T.
I'm not so sure what these engines were originally made for. Yesterday I found the "Small Gasoline Engine User's Manual" that came with my engine in the bottom of the shipping box under a piece of Styrofoam. The manual says my engine was made for a "brush cutter!" There are photos of it attached to some sort of rusty farm implement with cast iron wheels that looks like it used to be drawn by a large domesticated beast. The shiny new engine, chrome muffler and motorcycle gas tank bolted to the thing really looks funny (see photos). Did I join the wrong forum?

Tips from the manual:

"Never attempt to make engine adjustments while unit is running and strapped to the operator."

"Do not use this unit for any job other than those for which it is intended as described in this manual."

"Know how to unhook a harnessed unit quickly."

"Do not rely on debris shield on the unit to protect your eyes from ricocheting or thrown objects."

Attachments

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
wow Long&Black, you have officially convinced me to wear a helmet. i do all sorts of extreme sports without them and i've been pretty indestructible so far, but now for mb-ing i think i'll change my rash youthful ways.

saulgood

Dec 15, 2008
northern california
kickstand tip:
Parking a motorized bike in public will definitely draw a lot of attention, but take it from me; nothing ruins a "james Bond" entrance like having your ride crash to the ground as you're walking away.
I got rid of my old steel kickstand (it was too short anyway) and bought an aluminum "two legger" that mounts in the same place (couldn't tell you the brand but it's shaped like an upside down "Y"). My bike store had it laying around for about 20 bucks. It weighs about the same as the old one did, maybe even less, and the bike stands up straight when parked so it takes up less space.
The best thing about it though is that it holds the back wheel just off the ground which makes it a great work stand for adjusting the drive train.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
got one of those kickstands myself Saul, for exactly the same reason. there well worth the extra dollar to add these to your bike. Plus they look very nice on a finished bike.

for those of you that like to know how many hours and RPM's your little bugger runs , here is a very good tach to add to your build

Tiny-Tach: Gasoline Tachometers

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
I saw somewhere, (I believe it was this thread, did search with no luck), to cut a slit in the cable stop for easy removal. Well, DON'T do that! Mine broke opposite the slit. Bike is down for a $1 item! I did rig it with with the caliper brake stop. IDK If that will hold up LOL

Problem #5 at 50 miles LOL!

Dan - you owe me an "I told you so." LOL

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
So my kill switch cable on my lawnmower snapped and I've been rigging that lever thing with vise grips so I can cut my lawn. I decided I would get a replacement and after searching and searching
I found one that would order one for me for 30 bucks.
Sears had a few in stock but they wouldn't sell it to me. They wouldn't even let me match up
my old part because it's not a Sears lawnmower grrrr.
Way too steep anyway so I fixed mine with stuff I had laying around.
My only expense was that 45 cent cable holder I picked up at Lowes.
It will hold down brake cables if you wedge a small bolt in the opening.
Think of all the possibilities here when it comes to temporary or permanent fixes.
I posted the other lawnmower pics to show you guys what I did.
Cable holder is the 1st pic.

Attachments