Snow!

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
That would for snow chains as well, unless you have disc or bub brakes you can't use anything other than tire studs.
Not quite, some of the chain styles (the ones he linked to included) ride on the rubber and don't wrap through the rim, so cantilever or v brakes are compatible. There are definitely some that aren't compatible, but many are.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
That would for snow chains as well, unless you have disc or bub brakes you can't use anything other than tire studs.

Which reminds me of a story.
My wife spent a winter in Colorado and put studded tires on the van.

We she got back one tire had developed a slow leak so I took it up the Firestone to patch it.

The young employee took one look and stammered 'Of course it has a leak! The tire is full of nails!'

I laughed until I cried as the manger explained to him what studded tires are.
The chains I linked would work with v brakes if you look closely at the pictures in that link I posted you will see that the chains stop at the rim so the brake pads can still grab the rim. I made sure of it before I bought them.

Edit; Sorry I didn't relize someone already mentioned this I didn't read page 3. >. >

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Good story from KCVale. I'm still chuckling.

I remember when studded automotive tires made their first appearance. It would have been about 1970 or so. And everyone thought that that seemed like a great idea. Until they realized that those studs were shredding the roads.

I think they were advertised, and talked about, for one fall/winter season. And then outlawed in the spring/summer. That was in Michigan. Other states might vary. But I don't think they lasted long anywhere.

That's one more advantage to being a bicyclist. I can use studs!

Another brief diversion; the winter before last was the harshest we've had in the mid-west in 40 years. As the fall was coming on I'd look at the tires on my car, notice the tread getting a little bit shallow and think, "I ought to buy some new tires"...

But being the sort who neglects things like this, winter caught me first. And it pretty much shut down my bike riding for about 10 weeks. So I slipped and slid around in my car that whole time. Much weaker, traction-wise, than nearly every other vehicle on the road thinking, "I mighta guessed I'd regret this".

I did buy the new tires. In the spring. After the roads cleared. Smart.

But those treads are still good. I can even take another bad winter, if I must.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Sup guys, today I took a ride to work on my bike. On the way back it was 37F here in Maine and I wanted to show you what I wear to stay warm it worked very good, mostly North Face layers, Carhartt and and helmet of course. When the snow falls I'm going to get some ski pants.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The chains I linked would work with v brakes if you look closely at the pictures in that link I posted you will see that the chains stop at the rim so the brake pads can still grab the rim.
Clever

I'd still rather have fat decent tread tires but whatever works in a storm as it were.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
We get snow in AZ, lots of it up North around the grand canyon, 4 Corners, and snowbowl.
Heck, I visit snow for a day when I'm forced to ;-}

Decades in the valley has really made my skins 'temperature sensors' move closer to the surface, heck I get chill walking the freezer section in the store hehehe ;-}

If it gets under 65F I bundle up!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
KC, I honestly didn't know it got cold and much less snowed down your way.

am kinda shocked and laughing at my own self...