Hey Dudes! Another first timer from Detroit!

GoldenMotor.com

ishman

May 19, 2014
Michigan
I just bought a 66cc kit from Fast Bike Motors. I researched for a while and finally just jumped in. I ordered a pull start and a centrifugal clutch with it and I went to install the clutch today and found that the new cast alum. cover that came with the kit interferes with the original clutch so bad you cant rotate the clutch/ sprocket shaft. I watched a youtube vid on the subject and the guy uses 5 gaskets between the engine case and the side cover so he can drill a hole for lube access to the centrifugal clutch, he never said that it was necessary for clearance. Anybody have a similar experience? I did a search, no luck.

Thx, Ishman

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

Best of luck in solving your pull start issues......I've never laid eyes on one, so no insight from me.

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
Hello from the West Coast, and welcome to the club! I have nothing helpful for your particular gremlin, but maybe try this:

A couple more posts detailing the engine you're using and what you're attempting should allow you the ability to post photos. This will this help the more knowledgable folks here with troubleshooting and provide visual representation of the issues and what you're going for. Just trying to help you get it solved. :)

Good luck to you!

ishman

May 19, 2014
Michigan
OK here the Pics, first is the clutch bell showing the wire that holds in the one way bearing. Second pic shows how the clutch pins are contacting the cover and the third shows how much the pins interfere with the the cover holding it up. The last picture shows one of the holes in the extension shaft. There 3 all together, that is why I was thinking of putting some grease in the hollow extension shaft so centrifugal force would push the grease out the holes and keep the shaft lubed, instead the whole mess of drilling holes from the outside of the case through the gear and using WD-40 as lube.

Ishman

Attachments

Redbiker

Jun 21, 2014
Michigan
not from the D specifically but im from the surrounding suburb Plymouth. Nice to have another Michigander here joining the ranks though!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
OK here the Pics, first is the clutch bell showing the wire that holds in the one way bearing. Second pic shows how the clutch pins are contacting the cover and the third shows how much the pins interfere with the the cover holding it up. The last picture shows one of the holes in the extension shaft. There 3 all together, that is why I was thinking of putting some grease in the hollow extension shaft so centrifugal force would push the grease out the holes and keep the shaft lubed, instead the whole mess of drilling holes from the outside of the case through the gear and using WD-40 as lube.

Ishman
Not ever using the cent. clutch set up I cant give much here but from what I can see it looks like the solution is pretty obvious, you need to either add additional gaskets to space the assembly out, or put a small washer between the housing and engine case at every point where a bolt is used to attach clutch housing to the engine, that will leave an air gap between case and clutch housing but might not actually be a bad thing since it would allow air in the keep things a little cooler and allow the heat out.

As far as using WD-40 as a lube, toss that idea quickly, WD-40 is not an oil and it is a horrible lubricant for bearings, bushings or anything that moves faster than a door hinge, there is no substitute for good quality high temp grease where it is required, just don't over grease things or you'll end up with grease on the clutch shoes and you'll have a bad slippage problem.

Best wishes and welcome to the family here on this great forum.

Map

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've joined us.

As for a centrifugal clutch you won't find many 2 stroke fans here. The manual, cable actuated clutch works just fine. You might want to reconsider that option and go with that more reliable and user friendly set up.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket but the design of your clutch seems to have some flaws. Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

Tom

ishman

May 19, 2014
Michigan
Thanks 2door, It would make the install a lot easier too. I am seriously thinking of scrapping the whole idea for this build.... Maybe.

Ishman