Fat Bike/ Friction set up / Ideas?

GoldenMotor.com

BigPineJV

Mar 2, 2014
Big Pine Key Fl & WNY
Hello all Just an old guy that still wants to be a Kid ;) - want to put a friction set up on a Fat Bike -- any ideas or help greatly appreciated !!! Presently living on Big Pine Key in Florida (Dec to June) then back to WNY where I own an operate a Bird Hunting Preserve. I was a carpenter for ever not a mechanical guy so that is why I have chosen the friction type system LOOKS SIMPLE ;) Just bought a Sun Crusher 7 Fat Bike -- the rear tire is 4" wide - Hoping to put a Road Bug Kit on it with a Honda Engine -- Like I said any comments most greatly appreciated !
Thanks Guys

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Friction drive is definitely the easiest way to motorize a bike with 4 inch tires. Look for a kit that allows you to easily lift the drive roller off the tire for easier pedalling in case you have to ride the sidewalk or run out of fuel.
Members have been happy with ThatsDax and Staton-Inc kits, but you would need to contact them to be sure they will fit the 4" tire. The ThatsDax kit appears that it would fit from the pics on the site.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the world of motorized bicycles which I call the fountain of youth. I agree with wheelbender that frictions are easy to set up. however I want to build a fat bike also however I plan to use an electric bicycle hub, electric will cost you a lot more but I like a quite stealthy motorized bicycle. I am not a good mechanic and electric has been maintenance free for me, over 7,000 miles and only thing I have had to do is basic bicycle maintenance

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I went outside and measured the inside dimension of my Staton bracket and it is just under 3.5 inch.

Could work depending on how round the tire profile is. It'll be tight.

BigPineJV

Mar 2, 2014
Big Pine Key Fl & WNY
Darn !!! sounds like I'm going to have to have them fabricate one - this could shelve the whole project if its to expensive! I put a ruler on it and from side to side of the tire it is 4"

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Would still require some modding and fabrication but would a rack mounted, chain drive work?

Be Funky lookin', for sure.

BigPineJV

Mar 2, 2014
Big Pine Key Fl & WNY
I have called & emailed Staton for possible fabrication - 24hrs no reply...
I will wait a day or so then I may just give the Bumble Bee Bolt on a try! Pretty flat here in the Keys and the unit should serve my needs at least till I get back to NY where I can get things done ;) right now I don't really have the connections to get any fabing or custom work done...
And no I do not want to go to a smaller tire, this bike rides like your on a pillow...SMOOTH!!! But a little on the heavy side (like me lol) She is a hand full but all I'm looking for right now is a little assistance on up hill grades and help against the wind - I'm in the game for exercise & catching the scenery not the speed --

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really cool to read that about the ride being so smooth.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your build.

BigPineJV

Mar 2, 2014
Big Pine Key Fl & WNY
Well nothing can ever be easy! Bumble Bee says it will fit BUT WILL NEVER WORK WITH 4 "TIRES - STATON HAS NEVER GOTTEN BACK TO ME & I AM ABOUT TO GIVE UP ON FRICTION DRIVE! Which means I may have to give up all together right now!
Giving Chain Drive a though - How tough is it to put a sprocket on that back wheel? Will I need a new axle and all that jazz?:-||:-||:-||
- Any one know of a rack mount that will fit this darn bike... I really only want it on top (not off to the side)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a thought BigPine but as a first build it might be easier to go with a conventual bike.

Lots of difficulties with that alone much less the challenge of an off sized and unconventional bike.

Just a thought

BigPineJV

Mar 2, 2014
Big Pine Key Fl & WNY
Just a thought BigPine but as a first build it might be easier to go with a conventual bike.

Lots of difficulties with that alone much less the challenge of an off sized and unconventional bike.

Just a thought
Thank Dan... I see you have been on here and know your way around - you advice is taken graciously BUT -- I have a hard head LOL
I have pretty much shelved the friction mount idea and thinking of chain drive.
Rear Rack Mount (center not off to the side) -- what do you think some of the challenges will be? **** I just want to strap a motor on the Back LOL!! Cant be that tuff BUT I AM SMART ENOUGHT TO RUN IT B THE EXPERTS LIKE YOU!!
THANKS AGAIN
jv.cs.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Pine, awesome. Build some thing incredible!

All the really great thinkers, doers and builders create works of art.

Love that bike and is gonna be a great foundation for your work.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
laughing hard big pine, i am the same way. they say it can't be done and to me that is a direct challenge. actually ads a little more fun to the project so we can say "told ya it could be done" i got all the faith in the world in ya, plus i think a fat bike is going to make a great motorized biycle. was told i couldnt do a rack motor on a full suspension bicycle however i did and it was great till it was stolen :(

BigPineJV

Mar 2, 2014
Big Pine Key Fl & WNY
laughing hard big pine, i am the same way. they say it can't be done and to me that is a direct challenge. actually ads a little more fun to the project so we can say "told ya it could be done" i got all the faith in the world in ya, plus i think a fat bike is going to make a great motorized biycle. was told i couldnt do a rack motor on a full suspension bicycle however i did and it was great till it was stolen :(

Well Paul - I'm not giving up but I do have to put it on the back burner until I get back home where I have the connections to get thing done DAM IT!!!
I HAVE CALLED EVERYONE from Golden Eagle to Road Bug to Bumble Bee Bolt On to Pirate Cycles -- no body wants to get I on the game - wont even give me a price to geter done -- Stanton has never returned my email or calls... Whats a guy to do!!!
BUT I WILL LEAVE IT OUT THERE SHOULD SOMEONE FIND A SOURCE PLEASE LET ME KNOW! :-||

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
heres what you need:

drill
metal bits
Harvard frame
hacksaw/metal saw
nuts and bolts

make your own rack...really easy

oh and maybe some u bolts to mount your plate above the back wheel...

im sure you could rag joint a sprocket on...but add layers on the outside amd use longer bolts...

if theres a will, my kind sir, there is a way...

oh and take a close up shot of your rear wheel on the non sprocket side and post it here...and a shot from the top of the tire down showing the clearance between tire and chain/seat stays

Last edited:

BigPineJV

Mar 2, 2014
Big Pine Key Fl & WNY
heres what you need:

drill
metal bits
Harvard frame
hacksaw/metal saw
nuts and bolts

make your own rack...really easy

oh and maybe some u bolts to mount your plate above the back wheel...

im sure you could rag joint a sprocket on...but add layers on the outside amd use longer bolts...

if theres a will, my kind sir, there is a way...

oh and take a close up shot of your rear wheel on the non sprocket side and post it here...and a shot from the top of the tire down showing the clearance between tire and chain/seat stays
These are the pictures I have on hand - hope they attach - I've been having problems attaching pictures here - Thanks for the inspiration & HELP I was about to give up - I will add more pics soon - Again Thanks!!!

Attachments

Last edited: