Gas question

GoldenMotor.com

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Any of you guys that has a "2 stroke" go to the gas station on their bike and fill up, then add the oil amount you need? To me it seems to be the same concept as a gas canister. You fill the red canister up with gas, go home, put the amount of oil you need, shake it or u dont shake it and then put it into your gas tank. Thought about carrying oil around if I decide to go out on long trips and jus fill up my gas and pedal around with the oil mixed in before starting the bike back up.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Works fine. Been doing it that way for years.
Just don't add the oil first to an empty tank because it can flow into the line and refuse to mix correctly.
Adding the correct amount of oil is a bit more difficult too. (I'm used to gallons more than liters)

deedo

Sep 2, 2009
vista ca
use to have one of these a while ago but i would always fill up at the pump with my 2stroke oil in my back pack. if i was empty i would add some gas than i would eyeball the amount of oil. once you measure it out a few times itll become second nature. Did this for all the fill up and my bike ended up cracking before there were any problems with the motor.(pulled it apart after the dismantle and the cyclder walls were looking just fine)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If you shut off your fuel coming out of the tank, oil won't flow into the line. What I did was shut the tank petcock and add the oil first. This allows some of the oil to mix with the gas as you pump it. Then, some vigorous shaking back and forth and you're ready to ride again. I did this for over a year with no problems. Of course, now I'm a 4 stroke guy, so no more mixing the oil for me.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Does the term per-mix ring a bell? This is the correct way to do it , otherwise the oil can fall out of the gas in clog your jets and which will cause your motor to run very sluggish and not perform properly.
MIXING INSTRUCTIONS:
Mix only in a well ventilated area away from sparks or open flames .
Use adequate ventilation .
Use a clean fuel container with fresh gasoline .
Mix thoroughly before use . (Most important part )
Always follow manufacturer's recommended mix ratios for optimum performance and protection . And remember always be a good sport.
This being said shortcuts will shorten the life your motor . brnot

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I don't think that the fuel knows if it's being mixed in the tank or a 'can'....

The key part is "mixed thoroughly before use".

I've poured half the mix before adding gas, then added the remainder. Shaked/rocked/rolled until I was satisfied it was mixed.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Personally I would fill the tank first, and then add the oil. As long as you know you have the correct amount of oil there shouldn't be any problem.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Done it both ways, as biknut said, the correct ratio of oil/fuel is the most important thing, I would also as it was mentioned turn petcock off if putting oil in first, only way oil will separate from gas is if the bike sits in very cold conditions and the mix is Castor oil or some of the synthetics claim they can do the same, as long as the bike is being jostled around there will never be any separation of oil and gas.

Get you one of these and carry it in a pack or a pouch you may have on the bike along with the extra 2 smoke oil, a very simple way to get the mix right, just put the fuel in, look at the volume gauge on gas pump and then add proper amount of oil for that amount of fuel, if you know how to figure onces from a pint up to a gallon it will be an easy.
Here's a link to the Mixmizer Syringe:
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-10111-2-Cycle-Oil-Mixing-Tool/dp/B000G72U0K

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
That's what I need for my forks. I've got hydraulic forks, and putting the oil in with a measuring cup is such a pita. Of course there is oil in there now, but it needs changed every so often, probably once a year. I need to remember to get a mixmizer before the next time I change it.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
They also sell these at wally world.
Didn't know that, thats good to know for those who shop wally world, I never know what they have or don't have, my wife goes there some but it's a very rare thing for me to go, I hit all the mom and pop shops first when I need something 99.9% of the time, just not in to the Walmart thing much, to many people to deal with and to many good friends in our small town lost their jobs and 100 year old businesses closed down when they came to town.

Dang sorry..... about the mini rant there, seems like every time I here the name Walmart it just comes out of me, I have friends and family that work for that company and I just don't like the way they do business.

Also might be able to find a good compact measuring device at the local motorcycle shop.

Peace, map
reddd

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
yep, I fill up my tank at gas stations and add the oil after, usually 2 liters and add 60ml of oil. I just turn the petcock off first, I've got a few hundred miles on my bike already doing that, I'm just learning to conserve gas by not running WOT constantly haha. 80MPG is great compared to a car but when you have a 1/2 gallon tank, it equates to relatively frequent fills (but... still only once every 2 days with tons of riding around). If I can make it last longer then for sure, my mods dont help but at some point I'll tune the fuel/air properly.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Ya know, I'm really good with math but, durn it, I just don't feel like calculating or guestimating right there at the pump. Some long while back I got a bottle of decent two-stroke oil that had this built-in upper chamber with certain ratios marked off: 40-1, 32-1, 20-1, 16-1. So I bought a gallon-plus gas can too.
Any other oil I buy for the bike, I put into that same bottle. When the gas can is nearly empty, I buy precisely a gallon of 87 octane. I then squeeze the right ratio of two-stroke oil into the upper section of the oil bottle, and add it into the gas can. Shake it like mad, and I'm done. I keep the thing in my shed. It's a matter of preference I suppose, but this is what's easiest for me.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i premix in a jug.i buy oil by the gallon and pour it into a smaller measuring container.
i retired an old zodiac boat at work,cut out the metal air fill ports off the rubber part of the boat.going to make a nice fuel bottle to carry in my tool box.a piece of exhaust pipe and a cap on other end some welding and soldering and a nice coat of paint.

enough gas to get home is all i need.i never go farther than 10 0r 12 km's from home.