Motor Assisted Bicycle in gusty winds

GoldenMotor.com

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Well the bay area was hit by strong gusty winds all day, upwards of 50mph in some places.
Let's just say it was a little scary riding my Motor Assisted Bicycle in these gusty winds.
I felt my bike being pushed all over the place by the wind, having to lean to one side just to keep riding straight !

And it sucked going head on, bike struggled a bit to get to speed. But going with the wind I finally got the meaning of "ride with the wind" lol

Anybody else care to share any experience with strong winds will riding on ther Motor Assisted Bicycle ?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Last summer the Denver Area Riders encountered a micro-burst. No idea what the wind speed was but one gust blew me off the trail into deep soft dirt. I went down, no damage or injury, except to my pride.

I've also noticed that a chopper with extended fork and ape hangers is more susceptible to lateral wind. Cross winds can be tricky. Tail winds in or on anything are fun. :)

Tom

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
It was really windy here yesterday but today was not so bad, Im guessing about 10 mph. It helped me to hit my highest speed so far of 44.8 mph, I let off while it was still gaining a little speed because of an intersection. Into the wind was stressing stuff at 35 mph. It really seems that the wind slows me down more into the wind than it helps pick up speed going with it.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
That is why windsurfing I'll do when 30's Gusting 40's are going off! Besides the Argon Carbon Mix on my MIG Welder would just be blown away if I were working on my motor bike working outside.

My training wheels for the art cover fish I'll have on the motor bike are supposed to prevent going over when moving so slow for parade use. Strong winds mean my braces to the training wheel brackets will be welded with channel shape steel for best strength.

MT