has anyone seen this?

GoldenMotor.com

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
i didn't read this whole tread but i've seen then things going in videos. but they we're barely going, top speed of 15 and very little torque

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Wait a sec,

I posted, but I didn't post a reason why it wouldn't work. Just a cynical theory about poor R&D practices.

I don't think I should be included in your overly (generously) inclusive "every one who posted" statement. That wouldn't be fair.

Brenton

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Wait a sec,

I posted, but I didn't post a reason why it wouldn't work. Just a cynical theory about poor R&D practices.

I don't think I should be included in your overly (generously) inclusive "every one who posted" statement. That wouldn't be fair.

Brenton
Brenton,

I leave that entirely up to you. If you would like one it's yours fair and square. There were only a few posts as of this morning, so I decided not to pick and choose.

Jim

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Jim,

Thanks for being such a generously good sport. Tell you what, I'm waiting for a call from my local Felt dealer to confirm they can get me a Chief cruiser. Once I know I can get it, or failing that, who else will sell me one and ship to Canada, I'll be getting two of your clutch kits from you.

Maybe you'd knock $4. off the total, or something like that.

Brenton

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I was thinking about this thread today and realized something about this wheel that cannot possibly work. The specs say it's an auto clutch. But to start it just pedal along then turn the throttle and it goes.
You need a manual clutch for that very much like how a china 2 stroke would start.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Oh yeah,

I forgot to mention, Technocyclist, you won part two. The crank and piston in the T/C engine are totally useless!

Tell me what you would like to have as fas as a new product for your bike...Try to think of something a lot of people would want.

Jim
Wow! Jim was really serious about this... Many thanks Jim... Just sent you an email... I hope I'm not asking too much... :)

Clotho

May 25, 2008
The Revopower wheel isn't anything new. One of the earliest motorcycles used an in wheel design. In 1892!

1892/3 Felix Millet

However the most similar design to the Revopower wheel is probably the one that Singer produced as early as 1900. It too was marketed as a replacement wheel for a bicycle.

1900 Singer Wheel

1904 Singer Wheel

Singer originally obtained the design from Perks and Birch and the look of it is suprising similar to the Revopower version.

Perks and Birch

Singer wasn't the only company to produce an in wheel design.

Megola also did something like this:

Megola Radial

Yet another version was manufactured by Cyclemaster

Cyclemaster Motor Wheel

More on the Cyclemaster

Also:

B.S.A Winged Wheel

B.S.A. Winged Wheel photo

As you can see this design is neither new nor is it unfunctional.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Clotho,

Nice research job! Interesting stuff...far more interesting than the Revo site.

Can you image what a remake of the German Megola radial would cost today. $$$

The BSA wheel on the other hand shows a design that has real potential for further development.

Jim

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
If you look at the two magazine PDF articles on the product it look to me like a real photo of the product. I wouldn't write this off based on principle, I can see no technical reason why it wouldn't work. No fuel pump is needed as centrifugal force would send fuel to the engine which is spinning, in fact this would siphon fuel out of the tank! Clever I reckon.

Just because it is technically feasible does not mean that it will be mass produced however. It seems to be a less than ideal design, original yes but overly complicated and limited in power. What I would love to see is a premium version of the HT engine design with quality parts and built to higher specifications. I would happily pay twice as much for an engine that is twice as nice.

Who wants a 25cc front wheel drive motorised bicycle which has not enough power and is front heavy. Think about hard braking with all that extra weight on the front wheel!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I was thinking about this thread today and realized something about this wheel that cannot possibly work. The specs say it's an auto clutch. But to start it just pedal along then turn the throttle and it goes.

You need a manual clutch for that very much like how a china 2 stroke would start.
Not true! I have a Bike Bug Auto that has a set up where you pedal it to start, and as soon as it fires up, it unlocks and goes into "centrifugal clutch mode". Sorta like thye Honda automatic CT's you could bump start them, but as soon as they started if you didn't add throttle would just sit and idle.

The clutch could be activated by moving the throttle in the same way the Honda's shifter operates the clutch.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
My whole problem with the revowheel is that they were or maybe still are soliciting investments, but have no product. They have been soliciting for a couple of years....

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
The RevoWheel will probably fizzle-out. Hopefully there will not be too many people who end up financially hurt.

Don't get me wrong...the guy may pull it off and make it a success...the web site suggests that it will be highly unlikely that this is a success. It's smoke and mirrors. I know to some this may sound odd...but I've been around this block many times before.

I've been involved in new product development for years. Several times a year I am approached by someone with stars in their eyes and get rich products. The reality is always sobering.

The design and prototype represent only a small fraction of the effort required to launch a product. Especially a product of this scale!

Perceived value vs cost is the number one factor that will make or break a product. A new product MUST offer a benefit to the consumer that is in-line with the cost.

The RevoWheel has a projected retail price of $600.00. I don't think this will make it, as far as perceived value vs cost is concerned. I'm sure at this point, (assuming this project is moving forward), the emphasis is on just how to produce this item at a realistic retail price.

Down stream, (after the product launch),...quality issues, longevity, all contribute to the bottom line regarding profitability.

Jim

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Didn't we have a RevoWheel thread a couple or so months ago ? Is this deja vu
all over again ? :) The WW1 aircraft with their cranks bolted to the fuselage
sounded familiar....Seems when I asked about the little Honda 50 with the motor in the rear wheel someone posted a photo of it.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Didn't we have a RevoWheel thread a couple or so months ago ? Is this deja vu
all over again ? :) The WW1 aircraft with their cranks bolted to the fuselage
sounded familiar....Seems when I asked about the little Honda 50 with the motor in the rear wheel someone posted a photo of it.
Here is the ones I found about Revo Wheel

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/anyone-hear-own-one-these-3328.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/wheel-hub-2-stroke-4744.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/has-anyone-have-info-revo-power-2206.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/new-concept-motorized-bicycles-39.html

:ride2:

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Clotho,

Nice research job! Interesting stuff...far more interesting than the Revo site.

Can you image what a remake of the German Megola radial would cost today. $$$

The BSA wheel on the other hand shows a design that has real potential for further development.

Jim
I don't really know what it would cost to build something like the Megola today but I imagine it wouldn't be cheap. The bike did do 80mph though.

The B.S.A. winged wheel and the Cyclemaster are much more common than the others and you may be able to find one on Ebay if you look long enough. It may have some potential but I think redesigning the Chinese motors would be simpler and provide a better return. It really doesn't get much simpler than one of these Chinese 2 strokes. There are already thousands of people familiar with the design and many would be interested in greater performance or reliability.

Thousands of potential customers and they all have a bike that is already setup for one of these engines.

I know I would be interested. I would also love to see one with the drive on the opposite side. The Shift kits work well but simpler is still better.

The powered wheels are interesting but they don't really interest me. They will never have enough power due to space restraints.

Last edited:

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
It really shouldn't be all that hard to take power off the other side of the clutch. Jim (Creative Engineering) could do it, no sweat. Leave the actuator where it is. Mainly just another clutch cover with bearing and output sprocket.

That would leave the other end of the clutch shaft for the hydraulic pump. For the lowrider shocks/drops. rotfl

Yeah, I dream a lot. But I did cut out the technicolor! :rolleyes:

Ted

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
It really shouldn't be all that hard to take power off the other side of the clutch. Jim (Creative Engineering) could do it, no sweat. Leave the actuator where it is. Mainly just another clutch cover with bearing and output sprocket.

That would leave the other end of the clutch shaft for the hydraulic pump. For the lowrider shocks/drops. rotfl

Yeah, I dream a lot. But I did cut out the technicolor! :rolleyes:

Ted
I am nearly finished with another assembly for our guys in Iraq. I probably won't have an order for another until January...Bike Time!!!

I've had quite a few who have said they would pay for a well prepped engine.
The fun of this hobby is the fact that it's relatively cheap.

Let's look at the ways that we can maximize what we already have, with simple inprovements before going to a full blown rework. Of course I will share my ideas regarding improvements.

Yes I can do a major rework in my shop for my own entertainment, but that doesn't mean it's practical!

I just do it for fun.

Jim

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I posted a new thread yesterday with a animated 2 stroke motor drawing. The site has several forms of motors illustrated with animated drawings.

But the one that gets closest to this "In wheel" concept is the "Gnome" cycle engine. Like the WW1 biplane fighters used.

Animated Engines, Gnome

As I sit thinking about it, I'm seeing a 3 cyl radial engine of 25cc per cylinder.
The crankshaft would have to be the axle too with the crank case carrying the
wheel bearings and serving as the hub for the spokes. No doubt the axle
would have to be secured to the frame to keep the motor indexed.

What I'm wondering about is whether the lacing of the spokes would require the ommision of spokes in three regions fo the wheel to provide clearance for the cylinders. This could be a challenge for those of us here who specialize in wheels.

I figure the carb would have to vent into the crankcase thru the axle on one side, while the ignition system KILL switch circut would have to come out of the other side axle. ( the unitized magnito/hall effect switch units would be on the side of the crankcase with the spark plug wires traveling to the top of each cylinder head ) So a 50cc set up would have 3, 16cc displacement cylinders, and a 3, 23cc cylinders could net a 70cc set up.

There is no provision for advancing the timing, but I wonder about an electronic dwell extender circut build into the ignition to compensate for an advance mechanism.

I could imagine the mufflers extending between the head and the rim
with a short piece of tubing leaving at an angle to vent the exhaust
close to the road during the exhaust cycle.

Any bicycle could be used with such a wheel but the dropouts on the back would have to be retro-fitted with special fastening plates that the wheel bolts into. Otherwise the carb & cable are on the outboard side of the bike and the fuel tank could mount under the seat with a fuel line to the carb.

........but since I found that animation of engines web site, I can understand this concept better now.

Last edited: