GoldenMotor.com

dde2

Sep 4, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Hi Forum,

I just purchased a kit off ebay and got a box of parts with no instructions. I got it fairly cheap, so I guess I shouldn't complain, but I kinda think I would like it a lot better if it were on my bike and running then half on the bike and half of it in the rather thin and falling apart cardboard box.

I bought the motor because I thought it would be a fun project for my boys and I, and it would also be fun to ride around on for the whole family when it is completed.

So far I have got the sprocket and chain installed, and the motor semi-installed. I still need to fabricate a front mounting plate because the front engine mount does not go far enough forward to meet the front downtube of the bike frame. I cannot move the motor any further down the back tube because the chain guard is in the way. I think I have that part figured out, just need to spend a few minutes fabricating a new mount with some scrap metal pieces I have laying around. I have seen some places on the net where they talk about drilling a hole into the bike frame for mounting the motor, but I really don't like that idea and think that fabricating a new mount would be faster, look better and not compromise the already questionable structural strength of a cheap Chinese bike. (Not picking on the Chinese here, they just make them the way Wally-world wants them)

I worked on bikes a lot as a kid, but never small motors before. I am not an idiot (well not the kind that drools and bites themselves anyway) but I have not been able to find how to connect the throttle and clutch cables to the motor. I admit I have not looked at every thread listed here yet, but I have glanced at the titles to see if any speak about connecting these parts but I didn't see anything. Can anyone direct me in the right way to find this info?

Thanks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum.
Here's a link that might provide you with some basic installation instructions. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=13504 They've all been posted here numerous times. You can usually find answers to all your questions by using the Google Custom Search at the top of each page. Just type in a keyword/s and you'll have plenty to read on the subject. We're always here if you are unable to locate the information you need.

Here's another link to an old thread that contains some very good engine mounting ideas where oversized or curved down tubes are concerned. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=6427

Good Luck.

Tom

dde2

Sep 4, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Finally got the bike running last night (for a few minutes anyway). My son and I had a blast running around the neighborhood on it. I can see how these can become addicting fairly quick. We are thinking now about making the final adjustments to it and get it running smooth, then selling it and building another one since the first one was so much fun. Thanks to all the posters here with the tips and tricks as I never would have figured out some of the problems we had with getting it running. (Bad kill switch, Clutch adjustment and getting the carb slide and needle to work properly.)