Pasta Tin Gas Tank

GoldenMotor.com

TRAX

Nov 4, 2008
CT
great idea,
Thanks

I love to use things I buy at yard sales or goodwill and things I have lyeing around.
me too, I'm constantly looking at things and saying, that would make a cool...

I did a tank very similar with a stainless steel kitchen container except I used electrical conduit fittings and jb weld. works like a charm.
Very cool, would like to see it, did you post any pictures of it?

TRAX

Nov 4, 2008
CT
Very cool idea and looks awesome being copper with the copper coil line. I couldn't help but wonder if it would fit and look better under the top bar instead of on top of it?
Like this?
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/1904-marsh-1.jpg
Thanks, I had thought I would put it under when I was making it, but when I test fit it the spark plug looked like it would be in the way. I still may move it if I can sort it out but I think it looks good where it is too. it's kinda growing on me.

Thanks for the feedback.

i love the look of the raw copper on the bike, i'm trying to decide on what kind of tank to use on a new build this may help. also i love the Burt Munro quote, i saw "the worlds fastest Indian" on Netflix and it really inspired me. then i remembered i was poor. Great movie though.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I just watched that movie for the 3rd time since it came out again last night. Good flick....except the his relationship with the motel clerk....that was a bit disturbing...LOL Which quote are you referring to? There's few of them.

Do a web search for 1920 Indian Scout, that's pretty inspiring too. Notice the lack of pedal power, leafer front fork, in-frame tank, ect. Looking much less like a motorized bicycle, much more like a motorcycle.

TRAX

Nov 4, 2008
CT
Sorry I have not answered in a while I've been recovering from an accident. Getting better and back online. (stay tuned to the end of the reply for an update)

All out old school cool fuel tank !!!
Thanks, That's the look I was going for.
very steam punk!
Thanks I'm a big fan of steam punk.
i love the look of the raw copper on the bike, i'm trying to decide on what kind of tank to use on a new build this may help. also i love the Burt Munro quote, i saw "the worlds fastest Indian" on Netflix and it really inspired me. then i remembered i was poor. Great movie though.
Thanks, at the first MB rally I ever went to a fellow MB'er and I were talking and I was going on about how I like to tinker with my bike I just can't leave it alone. I had to build another one so I could be sure to have a ride for events as I was always pushing mine to breaking not nessisarily faster just "better" and he said "Reminds me of Burt Munro" I said who?? he said you need to watch the worlds fastest Indian. Needless to say I was an instant fan of the movie and the man. He was the real deal.

I just watched that movie for the 3rd time since it came out again last night. Good flick....except the his relationship with the motel clerk....that was a bit disturbing...LOL Which quote are you referring to? There's few of them.

Ya, that hotel clerk thing was messed up. Not sure what was going on with that everything I read about him says it didn't happen just thrown in.

Do a web search for 1920 Indian Scout, that's pretty inspiring too. Notice the lack of pedal power, leafer front fork, in-frame tank, ect. Looking much less like a motorized bicycle, much more like a motorcycle.
Cool tank...

I bet this could also be done with copper plumbing pipe and end caps. What is the size of it and how much does it hold?
well, I guess it could. I think it would look cool. Why not give it a try? if you do post some pictures love to see it. It's just over 3.5in diameter and 11in long. I had thought it held more than the peanut tank but I recently measued it and it holds 1/2 gal. just like the stock tank.

motorheadfred,
i was refering to "If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone."...Burt Munro which is trax's signature. yea i love that movie i'm gonna go watch it right now. i also love netflix
NETFLIX FTW !!!!

Trax: How is that lovely tank working out? Any leak issues? (I'm thinking of the rivets holding the pasta label on.)
No leaks I soldered the rivets too so they wouldn't leak.

<---UPDATE-->
This tank served me well and turned heads everywhere I went up until the accident. I was riding my bike when I was truck by a car. The tank held up well considering. I was struck on the side and the tank was bent up pretty good but all the seams held and it didn't leak gas. The only leak I had was through the cap venting. The fuel line broke so gas leaked out of that but not the tank.

I have been focused on recovering for the last 9 Months from the accident so hadn't been on line much. one thing I have been doing is looking for the parts I'd need to rebuild my bike. The tank was jacked-up and the frame wrecked so I had to find replacements. After months of looking for something that would be cool to make a tank for the rebuild and I just found another copper Pasta tin. This one is going to be a bit different but I hope just as cool. I'm going to post the "Pasta tin gas tank mark II"
in a "Rebuild" Thread I'll be starting soon. Thanks for all the posts and feedback on this project hope you check out my Rebuild too.

TRAX

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Sorry I have not answered in a while I've been recovering from an accident. Getting better and back online. (stay tuned to the end of the reply for an update)

Thanks, That's the look I was going for.

Thanks I'm a big fan of steam punk.

Thanks, at the first MB rally I ever went to a fellow MB'er and I were talking and I was going on about how I like to tinker with my bike I just can't leave it alone. I had to build another one so I could be sure to have a ride for events as I was always pushing mine to breaking not nessisarily faster just "better" and he said "Reminds me of Burt Munro" I said who?? he said you need to watch the worlds fastest Indian. Needless to say I was an instant fan of the movie and the man. He was the real deal.

well, I guess it could. I think it would look cool. Why not give it a try? if you do post some pictures love to see it. It's just over 3.5in diameter and 11in long. I had thought it held more than the peanut tank but I recently measued it and it holds 1/2 gal. just like the stock tank.

NETFLIX FTW !!!!

No leaks I soldered the rivets too so they wouldn't leak.

<---UPDATE-->
This tank served me well and turned heads everywhere I went up until the accident. I was riding my bike when I was truck by a car. The tank held up well considering. I was struck on the side and the tank was bent up pretty good but all the seams held and it didn't leak gas. The only leak I had was through the cap venting. The fuel line broke so gas leaked out of that but not the tank.

I have been focused on recovering for the last 9 Months from the accident so hadn't been on line much. one thing I have been doing is looking for the parts I'd need to rebuild my bike. The tank was jacked-up and the frame wrecked so I had to find replacements. After months of looking for something that would be cool to make a tank for the rebuild and I just found another copper Pasta tin. This one is going to be a bit different but I hope just as cool. I'm going to post the "Pasta tin gas tank mark II"
in a "Rebuild" Thread I'll be starting soon. Thanks for all the posts and feedback on this project hope you check out my Rebuild too.

TRAX
Glad to here you are doing good and look forward to seeing a rebuild. A shame that you lost the other one but it can be replaced where you can't be. Take care and God bless...

TRAX

Nov 4, 2008
CT
Glad to here you are doing good and look forward to seeing a rebuild. A shame that you lost the other one but it can be replaced where you can't be. Take care and God bless...
Thanks for the well wishes, will be starting the rebuild thread soon. Will post link here when its up.

Trax, that's awful news about the collision. Hope you heal completely. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Thanks Bill, I'm making good progress and determined to get as close to a full recovery as I can.

i'm very sorry to here about the crash Trax, it takes a true lover of motor bikes to came back from something like that and only be worried about the damage to yourself and your bike. man are you lucky, not only to be ok but also to find another Pasta Tin! I've been checking 2 habitat for humanity store and all I've bought are two pairs of snow skis. get better soon Trax.