Not the Usual tensioner issues

GoldenMotor.com

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Alright so I've had a wheel respoked and now will be adding a self tapping screw to the bracket on that homicidal chain tensioner, and I've tried moving the little pulley wheel around in the slot on the bracket, but it just sticks when I roll the bike, I can roll it with my fingers easy, I don't mind replacing the wheel eventually, but will this suck a lot of power, or explode into my legs.
I am at over 1 year in build time and have yet to get it to run more than .1 miles. :-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Comrade,
Are you sure the tensioner wheel is aligned with the chain path? Every tensioner bracket, almost without exception requires a slight twist to get the wheel in alignment with the chain. As for the wheel not turning this could be due to misalignment or chain tension. A too loose or a too tight chain would account for the wheel not spinning as designed. There is a thread > http://motorbicycling.com/f11/chain-tensioner-suggestions-11815.html That has a lot of good information on the tensioner including options for using or not using one. Read up on what others have done to get past the tensioner hurdle.
Tom

Last edited:

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't have access to a shop, and my high school is having to close their shop, so if I mounted this tensioner so that it pushes up, Who thinks that the spring would be strong enough to push the heavy KMC 415 chain I have, And if it's worth the 30$ otherwise I'll just continue whipping the dead horse that is the kit tensioner, twisting it just a little was difficult with a couple wrenches was difficult.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I don't have access to a shop, and my high school is having to close their shop, so if I mounted this tensioner so that it pushes up, Who thinks that the spring would be strong enough to push the heavy KMC 415 chain I have, And if it's worth the 30$ otherwise I'll just continue whipping the dead horse that is the kit tensioner, twisting it just a little was difficult with a couple wrenches was difficult.
Are you able to post pics?

Jim

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Comrade,
That is an impressive looking device however it appears that the wheel is aligned with the chain stay. That is precisely what is wrong with the kit supplied tensioner. The chain and chain stay are NOT parallel on most bikes. To get the wheel on the tensioner you posted a link to, to align correctly you'd still need to bend/twist/kink it to get the wheel aligned with the chain and that would probably compromise the action of the spring return function.
Save your $30.00 and bend yours. Yes, it might take some arm strength but its not that hard to do. Secure the bracket to the frame (chain stay) with either a set screw or screw all the way through the bracket and frame but only drill AFTER the alignment is perfect. You also can explore runnig without a tensioner as many have successfully done. For that to work you should have adjustable drop outs and sufficient clearance between the chain and bike frame. As I said earlier, read what has been posted countless times regarding the chain tensioner issues and you'll benefit from past experience from other members.
Tom