I caught a bug!

GoldenMotor.com

The Newbie!

May 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
So I had this OCC Stingray sittin around that never got ridden, and then a buddy of mine showed me this engine kit that he had put on his mountain bike, n the rest is history! I'm hooked! I guess you could say I'm on my 2nd build, with the same bike, n now it's something different all together! The reason I say second build is cuz at first I just ordered the kit n put it on the OCC. I rode it for a bit, basically the break in period +, n it wasn't long b4 I was looking at 2 different crax in the frame, where the rear wheel cage attach to the main part of the frame. I'm 6' 225lbs, n I guess that the OCC bikes weren't exactly meant for what I have put it thru, with an engine n my fat @#* n all. I didn't abuse it or anything, it just seemed to be a lil too much stress for it! The thoughts of welding up the crax crosed my mind, but I figured it would just continue to break in different spots unless I could do something to take some of the stress off the frame. Somebody suggested I turn it into a soft tail, n I thought hmmmmmm? It was then that I was turned onto this site. I've done alota research here, n wanna give props to the dude that inspired what I created, Brett Mavrik. I found his Orange Coast Chopper build, which became a contstant reference! I think that he spent a lil more time and money on his ride and it shows, but I loved all of his ideas, n used alot of em to fuel mine which will be quite evident when you see my ride, ifyou are familiar with his. I've posted a few comments on here, lemme see if they'll lemme post some pictures of what I dubbed "The Ratt Turd"!
Part 2 of this build really, My buddy with the mountain bike that infected me with this new hobby told me when my bike started to crack, not to go n start polishin a turd, get something else n start over, I refused due to the fact that I was really diggin on the chopper thing, n decided to give it the same type of rat rod theme as the Mavrik did hence the name, Ratt Turd! Ok so this is a test, and these are a few of the many pictures I've taken since I got OCD on this OCC! I will post a thread of the entire build when I have more time, as for now it still isn't finished, as I keep trying different things! Trying to hit the 40mph mark, n so far I've reached 33.4mph!.trk

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. OCC choppers are built pretty heavy, and your OCC frame failure is
the first I've heard of, and we have plenty of 200+ lbs riders on the forum. I'm sure you will have better luck with your second build.

The Newbie!

May 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
Yeah I think I will too as the 2nd build is the same bike, but this time it's no longer rigid, n so far so good! the failure was right at the welds, n then once the welds gave way allthe way around it began a stress fracture that ventured into the middle of the tube! Wow it surprises me that it's the only 1 that has had a failure like that, I just figured cuz it wasoriginally built for kids?

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
These Schwinn OCC bike frames look like they are heavy duty, but I was really surprised to see the specs. from a new one. They are only rated for 175 lbs. I can't tell where the weakest point would be but that really surprised me to see they were rated that low.
I was going to build a couple this winter for a couple pretty good sized guys, but I think that idea is going to be out. I have a feeling they would blame me if the frames cracked.

John

The Newbie!

May 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
I agree on the looks of the ruggedness n durability, but the specs must be right! If it's safe to say the weekest point would be that which breaks 1st, I can tell ya, it's where the rear tire cage is welded to the main frame! 1st it was the weld on the bottom part of the cage, right side. broke all the way around the tube n then ventured off into the planev which faces the tire! Then the same thing happened on top, on the left side! So the next time yer eye ballin 1, look at where the rear tire cage is welded to the frame n you will be looking at the weakest point, assuming of course that the weakest point being that which fails first. However, if ya wanna build the bikes for the big guys, reinforce that area or do the soft tail conversion. Obviously, done right the soft tail solution will hold up the best, makes it a much softer ride as well! However, I don't believe anybody has yet to put a kit together for a soft tail OCC, so you will hafta get creative, and unless yer a math whiz and know the formulas for the angles, and the spring compression ratios, there will be trial and error! I will give you a hint though, I tried to reinvent the wheel, and I don't have the slightest clue as to the formulas, but after 2 different theories failed, I was scratchin my head thinkin hmmmm??? Then I looked over at my full suspension mountain bike.......hadn't tried that yet! But sure enough, 3rd time is a charm!

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I* agree on the looks of the ruggedness n durability, but the specs must be right! If it's safe to say the weekest point would be that which breaks 1st, I can tell ya, it's where the rear tire cage is welded to the main frame! 1st it was the weld on the bottom part of the cage, right side. broke all the way around the tube n then ventured off into the planev which faces the tire! Then the same thing happened on top, on the left side! So the next time yer eye ballin 1, look at where the rear tire cage is welded to the frame n you will be looking at the weakest point, assuming of course that the weakest point being that which fails first. However, if ya wanna build the bikes for the big guys, reinforce that area or do the soft tail conversion. Obviously, done right the soft tail solution will hold up the best, makes it a much softer ride as well! However, I don't believe anybody has yet to put a kit together for a soft tail OCC, so you will hafta get creative, and unless yer a math whiz and know the formulas for the angles, and the spring compression ratios, there will be trial and error! I will give you a hint though, I tried to reinvent the wheel,* and I don't have the slightest clue as to the formulas, but after 2 different theories failed, I was scratchin my head thinkin hmmmm??? Then I looked over at my full suspension mountain bike.......hadn't tried that yet! But sure enough, 3rd time is a charm!
* You know if you go with rear suspension you are going to have to figure something out for a really well built spring chain tensioner.* Otherwise you will never keep the right tension on the drive chain. It will not stay on.* John

The Newbie!

May 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
Good point, check out Brettmavrik's bike, he has it figured out! How useful this forum has been! I still don't quite know how his suspension works, seems backwards to me too, like somebody else said in his "orange coast chopper build" thread, but if it works it works! Anyway, like so many other things on his build ya gotta check out his whole chain tensioning deal he's got going on! If ya do it like he's done it, it makes sense.

The Newbie!

May 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
Ok gang I started a new thread in the tavern, it's titled " What ya get when ya mix an OCC with
OCD phases 1, 2, 3, etc"! Currently the OCC is OOC! Trying to get this fricken jackshaft sprocket thing figured out! Had it going, but top speed was only at 33.4, I shouldn't say only cuz it's movin right along , but I feel the need, the need for speed, n Brett talks about his zoomin into the 50s! that's what I'm shootin for! Then I'm gonna build the "The Trike-ster", so Brett tell me again please about this 2:1 ratio thing ya got goin on! Please, I have studied yer pics, I need ya to tell me exactly what sprockets, are where! I got the derailer, the 5 spd cassette, the other tensioners so the chain doesn't jump around etc...It's the jackshaft I need to know about, n the spindle ya used, n how ya mounted the sprockets etc.... btw what's with that kit you talked about putting together to jackshaft the OCCs?

Last edited:

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL

I get asked a lot to spill my info about how I build my jackshaft...

That's kinda like asking the Colonel for his Secret Recipe. =-]'

I spent 5 months researching and developing, spending cash
and breaking parts, spending more cash and breaking parts.
But, I finally got it to work and be reliable.
The stuff I use comes from all over the place.

I am building a website to sell the things I've worked so hard to accomplish.
I have wholesale set ups with the places I have found my parts.
I have an OCC jackshaft almost finalized that will be a true
bolt-on affair. It'll sell complete for $199, come with hardened gears,
bearings, shaft, collars, freewheel, tube clamp billet aluminum casing, etc...
everything but chain.

BUT, it isn't that easy to get to ShifterVille on an OCC, my friend....... =-]'
First off, the rear center pull brake levers are in the way and have to go. Period.
Or you have to remount them up high, but WHY? when you can go Disc Brakes.

I am going to be selling Disc Brake Adaptors for the OCC Front and Rear Wheels as well.
Now you have as much WOE for all the new GO.... =-]'

This entails using the caliper adapter from Choppers U.S. that mounts on the rear axle,
and aligns the caliper to my rotor adapter. As far as the front goes.... you gotta ditch the
thinned tubed stamped steel OCC fork in favor of a $59 Wide Tubed ALuminum
Triple Tree Chopper Fork from Choppers U.S. that has the disc brake caliper adapters built in.
You get a better looking, stronger fork with Disc Brakes to boot.
Now you have performance to stop on a dime from 40+ mph to a dead stop
while your drool keeps going the speed you just were... =-]'

Now comes the Final Issue (and it is a major safety issue)
After you stack on the 5 speed freewheel to the OCC Super Phat Rear Wheel,
along with the Caliper Adapter you got from Choppers U.S. ,
and the Axle Mounted Derailleur you bought,
There comes The Biggest Challenge....
The Axle Is Too Short By One Inch To Be Able To Safely Attach
Washers and a Nut to Each Side To Clamp it all Down.

Solution:
After a couple more weeks of searching the ends of the Earth,
I have come up with a Longer, Chromoly, Axle Upgrade with Brand New Bearings...

Does anyone see the Value of My Research, Blood, Sweat, And Gears as of YET?
Do you see why I just don't want to give it away???
I don't mean to be selfish, but I have worked very hard to get where I am;
And I plan to make money off of my information that I sought so hard to find.
So, this is one thing I am not going to reveal. sorry.

If you guys want to go build one yourself, Go Right Ahead.
Get a Gear Ratio Calculator Program, Spend 1000's of hours on the internet,
spend gobs of money that you just throw away, and experience the harsh learning curve I did.

Or just buy the parts from me and be done with it.... sleep at night without your R & D consuming every breathing moment of your life for 1 year on your motorized bicycle.

You wouldn't ask Sick Bike Parts where they get their jackshaft parts would you?
To tell you the truth, doing it yourself will not save you any money and will cause you much grief. Well, I may not have the website up and running yet, but I do have a corporation, and
a web presence will follow very soon....

Thanks,
Mavrik Motor Bicycles
.shft.

Attachments

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I did not know of the weight carrying capacity of my occ chopper .

This is NOT on an occ chopper .
It is the bike from
I am not competing just posting.

This bike does NOT use a happytime engine.

a 45 cc air cooled pullstart engine.

I caught a mustang the other day.
I wont say how fast I was going.
My son does not laugh at my motorized bicycle any more.

I was going to put the engine, peddalable jackshaft, cvt setup. On the occ chopper but the 175 pound weight limit is just too edgy.at the speeds that this setup can attain.

non motorized OCC chopper 4 sale

Last edited:

The Newbie!

May 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
Ok.....First I would like to address the Mav! Dude...Nice build, but I think, nah I know I like yer original 1 better! However, I'm willing to bet that that this new 1 of yers cost a whole lot less, and only took a small fraction of the time to build, than the original 1! This is the 1st I've seen of this 1, as I read (and replied????) to yer post via my gmail inbox, where the pics did not show up, so pleasant surprise as I always enjoy checkin out different rides! Does this 1 zoom into the 50s as well? My email reply to you, as I'm sure you well know, was quite lengthy, and you are the first to see any of the pictures of "The Ratt Turd", other than the 1z I've posted in the tavern b4 it even got it's name, phase 1! I guess I'm actually kinda wondering if ya did get that reply, as I had hoped to have heard back from ya by now? Still lookin fwd to that!

Last edited:

The Newbie!

May 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
dance1dance1Ok now.....spad4me...(I don't get the name?), so where are you located n how much for the OCC? Mind you, while in the midst of, I think phase 2 of TRT (The Ratt Turd), I took a Sunday and committed it exclusively to acquiring OCCs, 1st thing in the morning I went to craigslist and called every posting that I found for 50 bux obo, shrtly there after I was on my way to pick up the 1st of 3 that I acquired that day and b4 I even got there my phone started ringing with people calling me back that I had left msgs for, the timing of the calls kinda sucked as they ended up havin me backtrackin from 1 side of the valley (Phoenix), back to the other side, n then back again to the opposite corner (felt like I had gone half way to CA) for the 3rd 1 of the 3!

So after about 3 or 4hrs of drivin, and 108 bux later, I was the proud new owner of 3 OCC's, and they were all different! The first 1 was really fricken ratty, definite donor bike, it was 1 of the blk 1z with the chrome flames, n bare forks (same as TRT started out), was askin 50 bux n he took $30.

The second 1 was also blk, but with the yellow n org flames, as well as a front fender & foot pegs on the forks, and in MUCH better shape, was askin 50 bux, gave $28 for it!

Now the final 1 was a helluva drive, but this 1 was worth it, 1st of all it was in pristine condition, and it was a Green 1 with chrome flames, all black accents (rims, kickstand, bars, etc..), and this 1 also had, unlike the other 2, the high rise bars, and front & back brakes, as well as a front fender (different from the other front fender on #2) was askin 50 bux, I offered $40(can't blame a guy for tryin!) but they weren't budgein, so I hurried up and happily handed them $50 knowing they coulda got $150 for it easily!

I ended up swappin all the black accented stuff off of the green 1, cuz I wanted the black rims etc.., and besides, I had every intention of selling it to try recoopin some of the $$ I spent! The very next day, took it over to a buddies house, who's kid was slobberin all over my motorized 1 about a week b4 that and hadn't quit buggin his dad about getting one since! Just so happens, that the kids birthday was coming up on the following Saturday, n dad hadn't figured anything out for a gift yet....hahahaha...it was perfect!

I didn't even know till then about the birthday, but that's what sealed the deal! I gave him a break, cuz he was a friend, n I had taken the black stuff off etc....n gave it to him for 100 bux! So not only was I a hero, but I ended up with 2 OCCs for a grand total of 8 bux! Yeah worked out pretty good! So how much for the OCC? lol.....

Anyway, sorry bout the tangent, but I just had to share that, so spad4me, what kinda bike are ya chasin down mustangs with anyway? If not an OCC? you shoulda dropped a cple pics, n it just says that it is the bike from.....? From what, where? Sounds like a pretty cool set up, would like to see it, and also, cmon you can tell me, how fast is it? Also, with a little ingenuity, you can set up that OCC to handle whatever ya weigh! I mean yer already going as far as jackshaftin it (which isn't a walk in the park by any means), so why not just make it have new specs! More bracing, soft tail, spring seat, whatever.....you can do it!

So here are the pics of phase 1, before it was named, and b4 it broke on me, I did however manage to get it broke in though b4 starting on phase 2!

Attachments

Last edited:

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Hey, Newbie!

Thanks, man!
I really appreciate when people appreciate what I'm creating.
I did get your email. Musta' got lost in translation somewhere.I have been very busy finishing this bike. Good job on the 'turd. Keep pushing your creative and mechanical limits, because
there are no limits... =-]'

I like my Orange Coast Chopper Rat Bike. It was my first and will always be special.
that bike was my research and development and my learning... or more like Blood, Sweat, and Gears. =-]'
Cool thing is, you can make this new LowBoy Bobber frame anyway you want.
so if you want to 'Rat It Out', you can.
http://motorbicycling.com/f23/brettmavriks-production-bobber-frame-sale-9186-13.html#post100536
She is almost ready to be kicked to life... =-]' weehoo!

Happy Trails
.shft.

Ok.....First I would like to address the Mav! Dude...Nice build, but I think, nah I know I like yer original 1 better! However, I'm willing to bet that that this new 1 of yers cost a whole lot less, and only took a small fraction of the time to build, than the original 1! This is the 1st I've seen of this 1, as I read (and replied????) to yer post via my gmail inbox, where the pics did not show up, so pleasant surprise as I always enjoy checkin out different rides! Does this 1 zoom into the 50s as well? My email reply to you, as I'm sure you well know, was quite lengthy, and you are the first to see any of the pictures of "The Ratt Turd", other than the 1z I've posted in the tavern b4 it even got it's name, phase 1! I guess I'm actually kinda wondering if ya did get that reply, as I had hoped to have heard back from ya by now? Still lookin fwd to that!