Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com

elbucho

Jul 9, 2010
Illinois
Hopefully I'm in the right location to ask, but here I go. I don't yet have a motor. I'm thinking of purchasing the kit from Staton-Inc Gear & Chain Axle Mounted Kit (Motorized Bicycles Detail Page). Does anyone have one? Any suggestions - axle mount vs friction vs center mount?

Thanks

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
My Opion Is They Look Bad The Rear Friction Mount Slips When Wet..the Chain Drive Sits Way Out On The Side..youi Would Hit A Lot Till You Got Use To The Side Clearance...get A 2stroke Or 4stroke V-mount Kit

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Here's a tip I just used: If the throttle cable keeps popping out of the metal tube part of the throttle grip mechanism. I took a zip tie and zipped it snug around the cable where it meets the tube and put a blob of JBWeld around the tie and the opening of the tube socket.

After the JB dries, the cable wont pop out of the socket tube and will snap back real nice to idle and you'll get full travel of the grip.

biscuit

Feb 13, 2010
CA.
Good tip! My dad used to have an old Solex moped from Holland (god I wish he still had that). It had a paddle type throttle that I felt safer.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Tires.... I learned to day that underinflated tires can lead to "drifting" while cornering. I also learned that fat guys such as myself want a tire with higher psi (80+) to avoid this "drifting" problem. So standard mountian bike tires may not be rated for high enough psi for "high" speed cornering.

Long Haul Trucker

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo, Ohio
I have a few tips I would like to pass along and a question at the end.

1.) Put your name and address or phone # on a small piece of paper and roll it up and drop it into the seat post in case its ever stolen.

2.) use an LED flashlight mounted with hose clamps for head light. the dollar store sells them for a dollar.

3.) use a milk crate for a repair stand.

4.) use aluminum water bottle in a bottle cage to carry either small amount of oil and gas mix to get you to a gas station or to hold your oil ( there is a drink here in USA called NOS) makes a great oil container after cleaning it out. (looks cool too)

5.) Duct tape stuck to inside of tires couple times helps prevent flats (sticky side towards tire non-sticky side next to tube)

6.) Sand or dirt inside handle bars cuts down on vibrations

now for my questions

1.) whats the best lock to use to prevent theft?
2.) is 4 oz of oil to 1 gal of gas enough
3.) is there an estimate as to how many miles I can get out of a properly maintained motor.

2.)

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Like your idea's on a lot of what you mention. The best lock is the Kryptonite lock and case hardened kryptonite chain. The con side is it's real heavy chain and very rough to handle. The estimates are really hard to calculate on the miles. There is the weight of rider, how much warm up do you give it. How you break the engine in, gear ratio's, the kind of area you ride flat or hilly. If you use it at moderate speeds, or if you wind the h_ll out of it.

Long Haul Trucker

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo, Ohio
Would I be better to baby it for the first 100 miles or gal of fuel or push it to its limit. Thanks for the answer about the lock. was debating on a U type lock or chain/cable.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I believe the standard practice is to vary the throttle for the first tank or two
(couple of mins WOT, couple more backed off kinda deal)

4oz/gal is 32:1 and should be good ;)

Long Haul Trucker

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo, Ohio
I just had a fuel tank idea W--mart sells a tank for boat motors that is 6 1/2 gal if I fasten it to a rack behind the seat would that work for a tank? Going for fewer fuel ups for a longer ride. Read someplace about a small bottle for fuel, but cant remember the name of the fuel bottle. Does anyone know the name of the one I read about?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Lets see here...... 100 MPG x 6.5 = 650 miles between fill ups. That is a looooong ride!
Also consider the weight of the gas sloshing around behind you and how it might affect the handling of the bike. If you are cool with it, do it!

Here's the fuel bottle:
MSR® Liquid Fuel Bottles

Long Haul Trucker

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo, Ohio
Yes I figured that out. I am on a fixed income and get money around the first of the month so could fill tank and have enough to run the month. As my MB is my only transportation. Gas weighs about 7lbs a gal. would about 40 lbs give or take.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Well then is seems quite reasonable as a month's supply.
I personally would not want that much gas behind me, but hey, it's a free world and what works best for you is what counts the most. :)

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hey guys, I've mentioned the motion sensor alarms before, but someone made a good point about the cheap plastic case they reside in(especially the handlebar mounted ones) - So they(the dirtbag thief) could just smash it to shut it up. BUT! They make locks(cable/chain/etc) with alarms built into them. ie.-inside the STEEL case. I don't think I can post links yet, so just Google "alarmed bicycle lock" to check them out. Some are as low as $20, but higher security is better piece of mind, right?

atm, I'm still using a chinese frame mount motion sensor($10), but it's tucked in behind my chain guard really low, so it can't be smashed easily(I hope). On the highest sensitivity the damn wind will set it off, lol, and if I bump the bike while punching in the code it'll go off 'loud as he(ll)', with every passer-by watching me like a hawk... it definately gets people's attention!

Oh, and of course, always park in a high traffic area. It's easier for some punk to steal your ride from an inconspicuous spot, compared to next to the front door of WalMart.
zpt

tyvm.
Greg.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I like to play like I am nervous and wind up the door checkers on the way out of Warmart:D

Naw well somtimes just a littlerotfl:)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have a few tips I would like to pass along and a question at the end.

1.) Put your name and address or phone # on a small piece of paper and roll it up and drop it into the seat post in case its ever stolen.

2.) use an LED flashlight mounted with hose clamps for head light. the dollar store sells them for a dollar.

3.) use a milk crate for a repair stand.

4.) use aluminum water bottle in a bottle cage to carry either small amount of oil and gas mix to get you to a gas station or to hold your oil ( there is a drink here in USA called NOS) makes a great oil container after cleaning it out. (looks cool too)

5.) Duct tape stuck to inside of tires couple times helps prevent flats (sticky side towards tire non-sticky side next to tube)

6.) Sand or dirt inside handle bars cuts down on vibrations

now for my questions

1.) whats the best lock to use to prevent theft?
2.) is 4 oz of oil to 1 gal of gas enough
3.) is there an estimate as to how many miles I can get out of a properly maintained motor.

2.)
I use the 6-foot case-hardened FUGGETABOUTIT chain. It's expensive but heavily discounted at Amazon.com.

The chain weighs 12lbs, and used for mopeds and motorcycles. I carry it Rambo-style, like a bandolier. An opportunistic thief won't mess with your bike.

2. I place a length of 2 X 4 wood under my 2-legged bike stand for repairs.