Bikes for Winter Builds

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I picked up a bike for another winter project. I now have four stored in the basement for the long winter that won't be to far off. This frame will make a really sweet bike. It's a mid 90's TREK 850chromemoly frame MT. bike with all the best components.
I also have another Schwinn OCC, A Jesse James WCC bike and a mid 90's Schwinn cromemoly frame.
Pleny of projects lined up for the long cold winter.
Until then I just ride the bikes that I have everyday. This has become one sweet hobby.

John

Attachments

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
The only trouble I see with mountain bikes is that they quite often have a verticle rear dropout which leaves no room for adjusting the chains.

You also might want to put smoother tires on , if you're not off-road all the time, because knobbys like that will give you a lot of vibration on the road. Smoother tires like 1.75 width will roll faster too.

You might want to check out the track bikes on e-bay (search "track bikes" there)-

Our motor sprockets fit right on a flip/flop track fixie hub, but will not thread down. (What we need is 36 track cog!) The reverse thread lockring will lock it in place laterally, and then the usual mounting stuff will drive it forward- I want to cut some rear supports from pie plates to save weight, or bolt the sprocket directly to large flange flip/flop hubs.

Anyway, they have some really cheap new track bikes with flip/flop narrow wheels and brakes- if you aren't a "cruiser only" minded person. A track bike, with a single speed freewheel on the pedal side, would be about the lightest bike otherwise.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
The only trouble I see with mountain bikes is that they quite often have a verticle rear dropout which leaves no room for adjusting the chains.

You also might want to put smoother tires on , if you're not off-road all the time, because knobbys like that will give you a lot of vibration on the road. Smoother tires like 1.75 width will roll faster too.

You might want to check out the track bikes on e-bay (search "track bikes" there)-

Our motor sprockets fit right on a flip/flop track fixie hub, but will not thread down. (What we need is 36 track cog!) The reverse thread lockring will lock it in place laterally, and then the usual mounting stuff will drive it forward- I want to cut some rear supports from pie plates to save weight, or bolt the sprocket directly to large flange flip/flop hubs.

Anyway, they have some really cheap new track bikes with flip/flop narrow wheels and brakes- if you aren't a "cruiser only" minded person. A track bike, with a single speed freewheel on the pedal side, would be about the lightest bike otherwise.

I will only be using the chromemoly frame and the alloy wheels. The only reason I posted the picture of the entire bike is because it was an immaculate $469 bike I picked up for $50.
I would never use the knobby tires. I change all my bikes to Michelin street tires with kevlar belts.
You must have thought this was my first build.

John

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Retmachinist, Have you looked a these tires?

Serfas 2009

I just got a pair of the Survivor CTRB Drifters they are really sweet tires. If you goto the site and look at them click the technologies tab at the top of that page too. It shows how they are built. They are really built tough and very smooth rolling. Great score on the hotrod bike for $50 bucks.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
All those beautiful bikes you have made in the past are really works of art. Did you ever consider taking on a full suspension bike with rear rack mounted belt drive system. Not as stylized as the frame mounted engines but still a good alternative for the guy that wants function over style. If anyone can pull it off it would be you to maximize the looks and make an attractive rack mounted belt or chain driven bike. It would be interesting to see how you would set if up.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
All those beautiful bikes you have made in the past are really works of art. Did you ever consider taking on a full suspension bike with rear rack mounted belt drive system. Not as stylized as the frame mounted engines but still a good alternative for the guy that wants function over style. If anyone can pull it off it would be you to maximize the looks and make an attractive rack mounted belt or chain driven bike. It would be interesting to see how you would set if up.
I like the looks of these in frame kits so well, that I can't get myself to mount an engine in the back over the rear tire. I guess if I was going to use a rear mount engine I would have to do it on a trike so it didn't look like it was hanging out in the middle of know where.
I know they are probably alot smoother and more reliable than these Chinese kits, but I guess that is what I am willing to sacrifice for the great looks of the in frame motors.
Thanks for the kind words though

John