Has Anyone modified the chain to a Bicycle chain?

GoldenMotor.com

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I want to make a few more mods to my bike, has anyone used a regular bike chain instead of the 415? Is it going to be safe with the 80CC (66-70) 2 stroke? Any help would be much appreciated. .shft.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Well, the SBP shifter kit uses normal chain. So it probably isn't a problem. The only problem is that the sprocket on the engine, and the back one on the wheel are to big for normal bike chain.

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Some kits have a skinnier sprocket on the front that accepts a KMC 410H BMX chain. I have one that I swap from engine to engine. I ordered a kit from Gasbike and they run the smaller chain.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Yeah I'm fully aware I would have to change some stuff up, I remember briefly running across a thread and someone said there was an engine sprocket that could be bought instead of grinding it yourself, I would preffer that. I can't find that thread again though. I want to run standard prockets and maybe even a few gears. My bike is the schwinn occ.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Upgrade your Engine to the DAX Motor 1.5 mm
wide 081 engine sprocket counter shaft sprocket.
This 10 tooth engine sprocket allows you to run 415
chains and 081 BMX Bicycle chains for lighter
weight and more performance. Only $9.49

ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_2

I have used a wall mart bmx chain for years.
They do stretch but you can use a cheap chain breaker from wallyworld as well .

Last edited:

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
i'm using BMX half links... claims to have 1.5 ton breaking point... but stretches a lot... i'm also using wipperman 1g8 BMX chain... claims to be grind proof... but it does'nt fit on the engine sprocket... so I only used it on the other side of the shifter kit... :)

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Hey thanks for the link, thats what I need. Hey Techno, it stretches a lot with a beach cruiser style? I have a good tensioning sys so It could be ok, I just don't want it snapping if I get on it with the chopper.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
A customer brought in a new Grubee 48CC kit from Gasbike...Bike chain is kit standard for this one. I'll build his bike with this chain and we'll see what happens.

Jim
Yeah if you could keep me posted, I would appreciate it greatly, If I can get away with running it, I will be able to put a second gear on, and run a reverse derailer type mod.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Terron,

I was mistaken when I stated that this Grubee kit came with bicycle chain.

The guys here on the forum are welcome to correct the following:

As far as I know bike chain comes in two sizes...3/32" between the chain plates, and 1/8" which I believe is referred to as BMX chain.

The chain in the Grubee kit is .150" between the plates, the typical kit chain is 3/16" or .190".

The Grubee kit chain was a lot lighter in appearance than the typical kit chain so I assumed it was BMX chain...it is not.

I have built this bike, and the chain works fine! I rode it 10-15 miles and it hasn't stretched or worn slack.

Jim

Attachments