How comfortable is your 'shop' ?

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
hehe. Had 3 legs, one ear and cataracts. Answered to "Lucky"

Tom, no kidding and been working on it for years but writing a book about my all time favorite critter. Fred DeCat . Our time together was truly bizarre and off the wall. She was awesome. I think I did tell you about her. She was the one I stole from my roommates girlfriend who was so fat (how fat was she?) she was so fat that when I gave her rides any where I had to take the back roads because her left thigh prevented me from shifting into 4th gear.

But to her credit, she was also incredibly ugly and mean.

(so I stole her cat) wut?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
hehe. Had 3 legs, one ear and cataracts. Answered to "Lucky"

Tom, no kidding and been working on it for years but writing a book about my all time favorite critter. Fred DeCat . Our time together was truly bizarre and off the wall. She was awesome. I think I did tell you about her. She was the one I stole from my roommates girlfriend who was so fat (how fat was she?) she was so fat that when I gave her rides any where I had to take the back roads because her left thigh prevented me from shifting into 4th gear. But to her credit, she was also incredibly ugly and mean.

(so I stole her cat) wut?

Wow, Dan.........I figure the shocks on your motorcycle would'a been sing'n "Halley-Lou-Ya" also!!

laff

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
My shop is in a mess right now, I have been doing a lot of changing around. I have racking uprights and cross bars like they use at home depot or Lowes to use in my shop, the standard height of each is 12 feet so each had to be cut off. The cut off sections I made a work table out of, it is 14 feet long. I was going to paint the wood I put in as the top but tried something else, I have a gallon of bed liner material that was given to me so I used it. I'll know pretty soon if that was a good choice.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I got one half of my work table done, note the light switch cover. My daughter gave that to me probably 10 years ago I saved it for a place like this.

Attachments

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I want a work area that has a stereo. :(
Tunes are a must for me.
I picked up a little bookcase stero with speakers for $20 at a yard sale with radio, cd, cassette, and most important an Aux input.

I have my PC plugged in to the Aux and stream Pandora commercial free all day.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I listen to audio books when I'm not reading real ones. I have a Radio/CD player, the kind that mounts under a cabinet, and I listen to books more than I do music. But occasionally I'll throw in some classic old tunes or tune the radio to an oldies station.

The problem with the oldies stations is they seem to play the same songs all the time. One day I heard Paul Symon's 'Kodachrome' three times in one day. What's with that?

Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
My 'shop radio' is an archaic 'ghetto blaster' type that was found in the corner of the garage under some junk when we moved in. It boasts two cassette decks (one rewinds, but that's the total functionality) and a CD player I've never tried using, based on the condition of the rest of the device. The antennas are broken off and long gone. However it's on the powerbar that my work bench lights are on, so it's on when they are. It stays tuned to the local classic rock station.

One thing I miss about the radio station we listened to in Ontario was something they called the "no repeat work day".. Yep, Mon-Fri 7am-6pm, no repeats allowed. Sure, you might hear (for example) Neil Young three times in a day, but at least it would be 3 different songs, not just different versions or recordings of the same song.
What frustrates me most about the local station is that I'm pretty sure Ozzy recorded more than two albums, I've heard that the Rolling Stones might have more than 4 singles out there... and now due to the length of time it's been around, stuff like Pearl Jam and Nirvana are on the classic rock station.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The problem with the oldies stations is they seem to play the same songs all the time. One day I heard Paul Symon's 'Kodachrome' three times in one day. What's with that?

Tom
Me and the guys at the job site have noticed that some stations play the same songs in the same order all day long no matter who the DJ is.

We use this as a game to past the time as we are working to see who can remember what songs comes on next. We have heard them play the same thing for days the only difference is they have a different DJ on at different times, even the commercials come on everyday at the same time.

Its just a carbon copy of the day before and can make your day feel like that movie Groundhog Day.

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
My shop/shed is only an 8 x 8 out building at the end of my driveway. But it's great to have even a small space to store my tools and get out of the rain. When I get started on a project, I forget the size of the space and the creative mood takes control. The time flies by, and best of all- I can step back/out of the shed, and have a sense of accomplishment at the end. What a great outlet that is after a long week of work-
I am truly Blessed-!
-Richard

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Richard, I'd really like to have an 8 by 8 space. My garage is full to overflowing.
Yes, a place to sit and 'engineer' and be creative. I have that, just no more room to do the work :) I need to sell some stuff and start over.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
My shop is coming along, not electro wired in yet just an extension cord from old shop to run light and power tools while I'm working on it, here are a couple pics of the inside, this part of the shop is 20ft x 40ft and there is another attached room that is 20ft x 20ft also, that is a storage area and has a divider wall between it and my work area, I'll be building another room off to one side in the future that will be the metal working area, i'll have my welders, torch and the Smithy lathe/mill combo set up in there, cant do much metal work in the big shop since I put in on pier and beam with a wood floor, I'll do some of my engine work and have all my wood working tools in the wood floor area. wow lots of work for one man, but its coming along slowly but surely "if the Lord willing and the Creek don't rise" no much chance of the creek rising around central Texas I dont think.....LOL been in a drought for several years now...

Map

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Darn. Guess you should have cut that one support a little longer. :)

Shan, that is amazing. I don't know what I'd do with that much space. That is going to be one heck of a shop.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Darn. Guess you should have cut that one support a little longer. :)

Shan, that is amazing. I don't know what I'd do with that much space. That is going to be one heck of a shop.

Tom
That support is for leveling the 40' beam that supports the roof, there will be a small room built at the back of that room and when that one wall goes up the wall will be the support in that area, what you see in the pic is just temporary support until I get the wall built which will be sometime next week, I will be adding more 7/16" OSB to one side of the beam which will strengthen it more also.

And you thought I was just Rednecking it.....LOL! well I guess I am a bit but it will be done right soon.

Thanks Tom and yes it will be a nice work area when I'm done, I'll be glad to have it done for sure....

Map

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I think I found the rest of the toolbox to go with the switch plate...

That has to be the coolest pic I've seen all year, I wonder if it's Ken, Barbie, or G.I. Joe's tool set?

I gave my adult son the boot from my other spare room and Cole made a new secondary elevated bike stall that will take even fat tire bikes and we put it in there.

The ramp will fold up out of the way but it's still huge.

It will be nice to get bikes up to easy chair height to work on when we want it, it sure made Cole smile using his creation.

No telling how long it lasts before my wife makes me turn it back into a guest room, but for now it's pretty cool ;-}

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
My shop is still for cars, but there is a rather large stock room in the back that's not being used yet... If all goes right I'll be taking my CNC machine and setting it up along with my lathe and a few other stationary tools in there then still have more than enough room to work my bikes and other similar projects.
I would like to in the near future be able to produce a few good quality motorized bicycles to sell, but for now, having a 3500 square foot shop with a few extra rooms that are out of the weather and the ability to add heating and air conditioning should make my shop much more comfortable then the 2 car garage I've been working my bike in.
Right now the bike is pretty far down in my priorities list, but in the next few months I'l be moving my tooling to the shop for a more permanent home and if all goes good I'll be able to produce a few really nice rides. The landlord still has a lot of his tooling and race car parts stored in another stall in the shop which I'm going to convert into a paint booth once he clears it out so I'll be able to do everything in house once that's up and running. In the meantime I can still paint but I'll need to use plastic sheet to curtain off the rest of the shop to prevent overspray from getting on customers' cars, but I do have the space to do everything I need to.