Jesse James faux tank build!

GoldenMotor.com

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
I picked up this faux tank that came off the west coast chopper Jesse James edition schwinn stingray
Listed $40 on craigslist
Managed to get it for $25
So far It seems I will have to
cut the welds and widen the rear of the tank since my frame goes from oval to wide circle half way down the top tube
close up all the holes on the bottom
weld on some gas outlets
cut a hole for the filler cap (I plan on using an old school valve cover push in oil cap)
seal the inside
find a way to mount this thing!
I have started sanding it briefly
I plan on painting it flat black
Any suggestions on mounting options?
I would like to keep frame modifications out of it but I am willing to do it if necessary since the tank looks really good on my bike!

Attachments

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
Yeah I figured I should grab it since I see em on ebay for around 60 usually
Got a 212cc project ahead of me so I think this will be a slow tank project haha

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
Waste of time.....start from scratch. That tank doesn't look much better than a peanut tank. Be creative.

My 0.02 cents.

I agree man it is way too short, as for a custom tank I dont think my skills are that great yet and I have very limited access to tools at the moment
I plan on using a chopper tank for now and most likely a custom one in the future

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Even if this tank isn't what you're looking for you might take a close look at how it mounts. This is the tank I used on my Switchblade, last winter's project, and it fits the frame nicely.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOWBROW-CUS...ies&hash=item20da943247&vxp=mtr#ht_1522wt_923

I modified the front mount, cut it off actually and repositioned it to get the right angle.

Just a suggestion. Here are some other options > http://www.ebay.com/sch/Motorcycle-Parts-/10063/i.html?_nkw=peanut+gas+tank&_vxp=mtr&_rdc=1

Tom

Last edited:

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
Mine is also just laying around, If anyone is interested and in the San Diego area I'll be happy to give it to someone who will use it (it's pretty chopped up right now but salvageable)