Some Info bout either getting a dax gp50 2 stroke or titan 3 hp 4 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

Joshuacool

Apr 19, 2012
planet eatrh
Built a few bikes from cheap kits. some ok some disappionting. Now wanna build a real nice bike. I seen the dax gp50 which advertises 9 horses for 479 bucks. and seen the titan 4 stroke with 3 horses for 229 bucks. I know the pros and cons of both engine styles. I prefer 2 stroke for ease of repairing but I know a 4 stroke should be good for cross country which I plan on a In a few months. Guess my question Is Can I get the gp50 and make It reliable or Is It Reliable enough to do longer trips. I know maybe I can add a water cooler to do this. Just looking for peoples opinions on these 2 style engines and advice on what I should do for my build. I plan on this build to be professional from frame to engine. No cutting corners.

Joshuacool

Apr 19, 2012
planet eatrh
I see Ibedayank. I had that Idea from seeing a morini with an option for a radiator. But I do recall It was a water cooled design. I wish I could find some ppl who have done long distance with 2 and 4 stroke designs. I was guessing that a 500 dollar dax gp50 engine would be good and a lil faster where as a titan 3 hp 4 stroke would be more reliable. I am a sucker for a quality made 2 stroke but I may decide to do a 4 stroke. Kinda worried about maintenance. Thank you for your Info. I guess I am curious If a higher quality 2 stroke dax gp50 Is reliable enough for long distance. If not be blunt and I will go with a 4.

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
All chinese motors are cheap copies of a good motor. I have a 2 stroke that I ride a lot but would never take it on an extended trip. I know I would have multiple problems all the time with it. So far it's only been little things but I still would not trust it. I also built a 4 stroke honda gxh 50 with an EZ motor bike trans and that I would take anywhere. The parts for the motor you can find in just about any town across the usa. An then their's always the honda reputation, rock solid. If you abuse it like anything else, it will break. The main thing with any small motor is change the oil frequently. With only 1/4 quart of oil in there,On a long trip of multiple days and miles I would change it daily. With an e-z drain on it an oile change is a 10 minute operation.

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
While I completely agree with Bob Mac 18704, we have a customer that just got done with a long distance trip using one of our phantom 58cc kits. He rode from Texas to Tennessee, putting almost 1,000 miles on the motor. What is even more astonishing is that he was pulling a trailer. I hear he is planning a longer ride from Tennessee to Washington at the beginning of next month!

That being said a four-stroke will be more reliable, quieter, more comfortable (less vibes), easier to refuel, better gas mileage, easier to get parts for and once again, most importantly, more reliable!

Quentin Gunther has 17K on his four-stroke last I heard...

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
4stroke no mixing of oil with gas so no chance of a oil
lean mix to melt down your motor
the made in china 2strokes are a crap shoot on quality

I personally do not see the advantage to watercooling a 50cc motor unless your making SERIOUS power above 5hp or more. Like a Derbi at 12-13 hp

flmotorbikes

Mar 23, 2012
Florida
I agree the chinese quality is either hit or miss
you get a great engine like the GP460 and then
You might get a copy using cheaper parts which isn't safe or
good for us end users

Joshuacool

Apr 19, 2012
planet eatrh
I have decided to go with the titan 3 hp 4 stroke even though I don't like the slower speed accelration Inherent to 4 strokes. Actually met a guy at the pawn shop who had a 4 stroke and was amazed at what he told me. he just done a trip from north dakota to new mexico. I even got a 6 hp briggs n stratton 4 stroke go cart engine. barely fits my frame but lil too wide to clear my pedals. I once again thank everyone for their advice. I am debating between a titan and an ezm. Have a wonderful weekend everyone