Electric = Motor.........Gasoline = Engine

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Any thoughts on the subject here? An electric engine?

Riding or driving a bike? I always ride mine, but I drive a car.......more thoughts?

dnut

I like doughnuts.....dnut you?

maybe I should have posted this in the Tavern?

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Semantics. A rose is still a rose no matter what else it's called.
Would sound funny to say that our gas bikes are "engineized" LOL. Or," I think i'll just engine on down the road to the donut shop".

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Definitely Semantics. But there's a feel to it. You can ride one horse, by sitting on it with its back between your legs. But you must drive a team of horses, not by sitting on any of them, but by sitting on the seat of the carriage. Riding a bike is a bit like that, you sit on it out in the open; it's between your legs. You drive a car from the seat inside, and the motor is (generally) out front someplace. Still semantics though.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Tom, I'm thinking you missed a couple here, sometimes (it just pooped out) or (it just quit).....!

Back in the day, working in an Auto Parts Store I heard these many times..LOL! (^)

By the way I love the ( " It ain't a lamp " )... very true

Peace, map
laff

If my (gasoline) engine quits running, it dies or shuts down. It doesn't "turn off". It ain't a lamp.

Tom

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
It's more than just semantics if you look at it hard enough. All gasoline engines are motors, but not all motors are engines.

Considering "motor" was once used to distinguish ICE from steam engines, the terms are interchangeable when referring to an ICE.

However, an engine is generally accepted as something that converts mechanical energy into mechanical motion.
That means technically, an electric motor cannot be an engine. It can be part of one tho, to further confuddle things rotfl

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Harley Davidson Engine Cycles

****'s Angel's Engine Cycle Club

Enginecyclist Magazine

Enginebicycling.com

I don't think so lol.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I always thought that a 2 wheeled vehicle such as what we call a motorcycle was called that because the engine on the 2 wheeled vehicle allows it to motor along under the power of the engine thus making it a motoring cycle.....?

NOT saying this is the Gospel here, just another twist on the whole Engine not being a Motor thing.

peace, map

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
This sort of thing drives me insane. I was in Grangers and had brought an ICE MB in. 4 guys behind the counter and at least as many customers stopped and were looking. (Man! those are the kinda folks to listen to for ideas. They came up with a ton of thoughts!) But one of the counter guys was one of the first people to introduce me to "engine/motor" concept. I asked about an alternate motor. The thought, there at least was an engine was ICE and electric was a motor. Drive on a parkway. Park on a driveway and Hawaii has interstate highways.

"I have to change my motor oil as the engine is knocking" snork

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'm with you on this Dan....LOL!

To me this exchange about " is an engine a motor " is just a fun thing to discus, at the end of the day, to me it really doesn't matter that much, I will throw the " WHAT....!" flag though the first time I hear someone say that the blower fan in their car is not working so they are gonna go get a new (blower engine) at the parts house for it...........LOL!

Growing up around several Mechanical, Industrial and electrical Engineers I was told by them that I.C.E. is many times referred to as a Motor, but calling it that is actually incorrect, but just like everyone else I've still been guilty of it and don't see that it really matters, it's like the "drive on a parkway, park on a driveway thing" just something to kick around a bit and have a little fun with I guess....LOL!

One of my Grandfathers lost a leg in a farming accident and was limited in what he could do for a living afterwards so he started a small engine repair shop in which he also repaired & by hand rewound electric motors, repaired well pumps, he fixed about everything actually, he would always correct me and make it "very clear" to me as I worked with him growing up that, I.C.E.'s were engines because they created their own power stand alone with the components require for internal combustion, and that a motor require power to be fed into it inorder for it to function, such as an electric motor needing electricity, or an Pnuematic motor needing compressed air.

All I truely know is that if it has a Motor on it, or if it has an Engine on it and if I can get on it or in it and it will Motor me down the road, across the pasture, down the river or through the air......I'm IN...........! I like them all no matter what we call them.....!

Peace, map

:-|| dance1

This sort of thing drives me insane. I was in Grangers and had brought an ICE MB in. 4 guys behind the counter and at least as many customers stopped and were looking. (Man! those are the kinda folks to listen to for ideas. They came up with a ton of thoughts!) But one of the counter guys was one of the first people to introduce me to "engine/motor" concept. I asked about an alternate motor. The thought, there at least was an engine was ICE and electric was a motor. Drive on a parkway. Park on a driveway and Hawaii has interstate highways.

"I have to change my motor oil as the engine is knocking" snork

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
No one yet has brought up the fact that we ride, engine bikes.

No one ever says, "I'm going to enginize my bicycle", yet many of us prefer to call those things we bolt to our bikes, engines instead of motors. Hmmmmm :)

Reminds me of "Jumbo Shrimp" and "Military Intelligence"
Misnomers and oxymorons. Ya gotta love the English language.

Tom

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
No one yet has brought up the fact that we ride, engine bikes.

No one ever says, "I'm going to enginize my bicycle", yet many of us prefer to call those things we bolt to our bikes, engines instead of motors. Hmmmmm :)

Reminds me of "Jumbo Shrimp" and "Military Intelligence"
Misnomers and oxymorons. Ya gotta love the English language.
Tom
It's not just the "English language", it is Americanized English on top of the English language. We are a weird bunch here.

And just for clarification. It is my belief that the pot is perfectly entitled to call the kettle black, as long as the pot understands its own blackness.
.flg.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
OH COME ON! who thought spelling "sword" with a W was a good idea? Or! OR creating the word "lisp" just so folks with one, could not say it!?

Originally Posted by Dan

[rant] Stupid (read above my abilities) English language. We have three to's (to, too and two) and two fours (four and for) And the word lisp is unpronounceable for folks who have one. I ain't never gonna get it. Or not (Knot?) Who's idea was it to spell sword with a W!? Try saying sword with a lisp!!!! People ask "toward what?" Makes ya wanna hide in a grassy knoll with a high powered potato gun and a bull horn[end/rant]

Sorry! Still working on a speech thing and I get excited.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
It's not just the "English language", it is Americanized English on top of the English language. We are a weird bunch here.

And just for clarification. It is my belief that the pot is perfectly entitled to call the kettle black, as long as the pot understands its own blackness.
.flg.
LOL! that is good Nunya!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
English: engine

Translation to;
Albanian = motor
Catalan = motor
Croatian = motor
Czech = motor
Danish = motor
Dutch = motor
Esperanto = motoro
Estonian = mootor
Finnish = moottori
French = moteur
Galician = motor
German = motor
Hungarian = motor
Italian = motor
Norwegian = motor
Portuguese = motor
Romanian = motor
Serbian = motop
Slovak = motor
Slovenian = motor
Spanish = motor
Swedish = motor
Turkish = motor

hmmm... *shrug*

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
BA, are you saying you have a large Ebay offering in many markets?

Kidding Buddy!

That is pretty telling though.

Did kinda notice ya skipped Kazakhstan though.Ya