New member- First build

GoldenMotor.com

zeusij

Dec 6, 2011
Farmville, VA.
Hello, my neighbor and I are going to be attempting our first motorized bike. Plans are for it to go on bmx frame that has been recently painted flat black. I'm making the final decisions on which engine kit to go with.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've joined and there's lots of help and knowledge here if you run into problems. Keep us posted on your progress.
Tom

zeusij

Dec 6, 2011
Farmville, VA.
Thanks a lot for that template. I printed it, laminated it, and cut it out. Put it up to the planned bmx frame and the engine will be too big :(

I went ahead and ordered a bike engine kit from bike berry.
Flying Horse Silver Angle Fire 66/80cc Bicycle Engine Kit EPA BikeBerry.com

I'll see if I can make it work on the bmx once it gets here. If not, I have a pertty blue cruiser with ape bars that a shop mate at work wants to sell me.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome to the forum.

If your template fits the cruiser, then I'd say jump on it if the price is right. You'll have a much easier job with the build. The headaches from the small frame are probably not worth it. I'd go to a rack mount plan for that one.

zeusij

Dec 6, 2011
Farmville, VA.
Couldn't find a brand name on the bike but i like the way it looks. He wants $50 for it. I think its worth it, but my neighbor isn't sure (he hasn't seen it). Even if its not a great deal, I think I will still do it since he has given me a good deal on a new shed. My wife has a cruiser also that is the same deep blue color this cruiser is. So I'm thinking of putting an engine on both and we can ride together 8)

Counting down the days until the kit comes in. Suppose to be here next Wednesday (12/28/11) =D. I can't wait!

zeusij

Dec 6, 2011
Farmville, VA.
Just got the kit. Everything looks good except the fuel tank has a dent on the top, is rusted inside, and one of the mounting studs coming out of the bottom is bent bad. Going to be trying to get a replacement from bikeberry. Hope they are good with customer support.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
A lot of people report rust in a new tank, what I have done is use fine gravel or rocks and shake it around. It will knock most if not all loose with a little work. A little sand in with the rock helps also.

zeusij

Dec 6, 2011
Farmville, VA.
I've had my bike going for a little while now but havent posted back yet. I've had to constantly tinker with things but she is still running. pino.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tinkering is a lot of the fun for many of us...not fixing, just tinkering.
You'll get the bugs worked out and look at the experience you're getting :)

Thanks for showing us your bike. Good work. Enjoy, have fun and ride safe.

Tom