What happened?

GoldenMotor.com

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
The problem: Letting go of the clutch no longer reengages the chain with motor.
How it started: I was holding on to the clutch at a red light and twisting the throttle to help keep the motor running. (I probably got carried away with the vroom sounds and twisted it too much/long)

So what's up guys. Is the motor busted? Is it a quick fix? Any help would be appreciated :).

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm assuming you have a 2-stroke?
If so?, the first thing I would check is the small gear under the large cover on the right side... Remove the cover & inspect the gear while rolling the bike back & forth.
You're looking to see if the gear is actually turning the crankshaft that it's bolted to.
Next I would do the same check on the small sprocket on the other side of the engine.

Report back what you find.

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
It's a two stroke. I'll check it out later but what I can tell you is that the bike moves freely with the clutch unheld.

A little more about this: I realized something was wrong when the throttle failed to accelerate the bike. It was on and running but twisting the throttle would only make the the engine rattle and not accelerate the bike. I brought the bike to a complete stop and it remained on (It's supposed to turn off when I bring it to a stop). I had to push the kill switch to turn it off.

Essentially the bike is acting as if the clutch is being held down when it isn't.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
While you were "carried away" by the engine sounds, did you suddenly release the clutch lever? Or 'pop' the clutch? You probably sheared a shaft key.
Do what Venice suggested to find out what turns and what doesn't.
After it's repaired, treat it a little nicer. You won't break things that way :)
Tom

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
Loosening the arm is the first thing I'll try. It seems silly though, should I really expect it to have gotten tighter with time?

Popping the clutch sounds like that may be what happened... Well, this is will give me a chance to learn how the motor works at the very least.

I'll go play around with it now.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
The Right main crank seal may have failed. Allows fuel/oil to invade the clutch housing. If the chain jumped off the engine sprocket it could allow the bike to roll free. Lots of slack in the chain. Get back to us. (c)

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
Here's what's up. I opened up the clutch plate and and loosened the clutch. Everything seemed fine after that. The "cough" that the spinning the back tire gave to the motor was back. I was able to turn the bike on and ride for a couple miles or so. Then the problem came back but this time removing the clutch didn't solve the problem at all.

I opened up the plates as you guys said and yeah, all the gears are moving accordingly. It's that "cough" that I'm missing to turn the thing on. It sort of coughs when I move it slowly but when I move it quickly it just gives me steady resistance.

So I have to figure this out. Am I using the bike properly? Aren't I supposed to grab the clutch to idle at street lights and stuff?