Engine not engaging with gear, Advice!!! Please

GoldenMotor.com

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
so i was riding today clutch was working fine and out of no where i go to give it some throttle and it just revs up, i wasnt holding the clutch, the clutch pin wasnt pressed and the engine was just revving like i was holding the clutch in, i took off the clutch plate and that ring screw inside wasnt on, so i screwed it on and put the plate back on and still i go to release the clutch and the engine doesnt even staart, what do i need to do and what is my engines problem. did i burn my clutch out from revving it too much?

EDIT: i figured out that i destroyed my woodruff key, i guess i might have been too rough with the engine, but i took off the engine sprocket and there was no pin, just particles of metal, the clutch catches just fine, that explains why my engine wouldnt rotate when i rotated the wheel.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
maybe...
You are going to need to inspect the condition of the pads, especially if you know you have been slipping the clutch for starts, a lot. They are not really designed for that.
Replacement pads are cheep, though...
Best
rc

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
you will need the retaining screw to be there to hold that "flower nut" from backing out for sure, but now to the slipping....

You will need to pull the clutch lever on your handle bars all the way in, and then lock it into place by wrapping a piece of wire or using a zip tie so it will remain pulled in and then you should screw the flower nut all the way down until it stop turning and then back it up about half a turn, after setting it this way you will be getting a good amount of tension on the clutch pucks when you release the clutch and the slipping should stop.

Now back to the retaining screw, you will need that replaced or you will never keep your clutch adjusted.

A #6 or #8 machine screw might work if secured with blue loctite after it is cut down to correct length, to do this all you will need to do is lock the clutch lever back like I said earlier and then remove the flower nut and the outer pressure plate will come right off, now when yo do get a screw that will work properly just screw it into the hole on the plate and then with a small grinder or dremel tool cut the excess thread off that will be poking through on the back side of the clutch plate then when you remove the screw it will straighten out the threads from the grinding/cutting of the unwanted length, then when you get the plate and the flower nut reinstalled at the setting I mentioned above just put some blue or red loctite on the threads of the small screw and snug it up to where the head of the screw is seated down between the pettles on the flower nut, get it snug but dont get too rough with it or it will strip or break off, it's a very small screw and needs to be handled carefully.

Best wishes and I hope this will help you get the problem resolved quickly...

Peace, map

so i was riding today clutch was working fine and out of no where i go to give it some throttle and it just revs up, i wasnt holding the clutch, the clutch pin wasnt pressed and the engine was just revving like i was holding the clutch in, i took off the clutch plate and that ring screw inside wasnt on, so i screwed it on and put the plate back on and still i go to release the clutch and the engine doesnt even staart, what do i need to do and what is my engines problem. did i burn my clutch out from revving it too much?

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
i di what you said and replaced those two screws after tightening the flower nut with the clutch held all the way and after that the clutch lever wont engage the clutch and its still not catching pads when i roll the bike. are you sure i dont just need new clutch pads ? could it be there so worn down there not catching the plate anymore?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yes it's very possible that you need new pucks, what I ask you to do was assuming you still had pucks that were thick enough to engage the pressure plate and by doing this stop the slipping.

If you do need pucks they are cheap and easy to replace, if you have a way to post some pics of the pucks that will help with knowing for sure, but it does sound like you may just need new ones and then adjust the clutch like I said above and you should be good to go.

Are your pucks square/rectangular or are they round?

They could be either one and this is something you will need to know, if they are round ones just PM me your mailing addy and I will send you some that are used but still have a good bit of life in them free of charge, if they are square ones I will sell you a set cheap, I have an extra set I dont need right now, just send me a PM and I will be glad to help you out on this if you want.

Peace, map

i di what you said and replaced those two screws after tightening the flower nut with the clutch held all the way and after that the clutch lever wont engage the clutch and its still not catching pads when i roll the bike. are you sure i dont just need new clutch pads ? could it be there so worn down there not catching the plate anymore?

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
UPDATE: i went to a moto shop today and bought the woodruff pin and just shaved it down a bit and put loc tite on it and put it back in and now my engine is fine, thank god, because i just ordered my shift kit, woulda been a shame to have my kit waiting to be installed but no engine to put it on. especially since its hard to find someone to ship just an engine to CA, ill make a post of my ride once i install the shift kit to let you guys know how its doing.