New to motors - long time bicycler

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Hello from sunny Arizona. The great info in this forum site gave me the confidence to order my first bike engine today. You can bet I would have twisted off the cheap bolts and tried to cut gaskets from a cereal box if I hadn't been studying this site.

Engines 48cc and under can be ridden in the bike lane here, so I picked one of those Chinese mills that mounts in the frame. It bears an uncanny resemblance to the Mattel Vroom play engine that I had on my banana seat bike as a kid.

I tinkered with 2 stroke motorcycles for years, so I think it will go well if I do a good job on the installation.

My wife is not happy about this, but I think that will change when she takes her first ride on my machine.

My first victim (bike to be motorized) is shown below. It's an aluminum mountain bike, styled like a cruiser, with vertical wheel dropouts in the back.
If the motor wont fit, I have another mountain bike with a small diameter, straight tubed, chromoly steel frame that would easily do the job. It also has vertical dropouts, so I don't have to worry about the back tire staying in place.

Nice to meet you all.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/wheelbender/cham1-08028.jpg

Hitekrdnk

May 23, 2008
I am also a long time bicycler that has been messing about with motor assist for awhile. Congrats on making the leap into the void! One word of advice though is that the jackshaft shifter that is now available makes a really good compliment to the motor you are planning on using. It is another couple hundred bucks but I feel it is a worthwhile investment for the long run.

One thing I can guarantee is that not only your wife will think you are nuts to put a motor on a bike until they swing a leg over yours and come back with an ear splitting grin on their face!

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
You will be much happier with the steel frame bike.
The roads here are so bad, it is beyond belief.
Get a good roller bearing engine . Thatsdax comes to mind or spookytooth.
Count on a trial fit then a final fit. Six to eight hours for install.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Thanks for my welcome to the "void". A jackshaft shifter sounds great, but exceeds the current budget. Maybe down the road.

I will take Spad4me's advice on using my steel, diamond shaped frame for the first build. It will provide far more mounting options and I will not have to deal with a rear disc brake.

The steel diamond frame is currently just a frame with headset, so I need to start doing paint touch ups and pilfering parts from one of my other bikes. I will make it a single speed with a chain tensioner and cantilever brakes for simplicity.
Cheers

Last edited:

ironhorse

Sep 4, 2008
Southern AB, CAN
Hiya...I'm new here too. I will be using my new motorized bike (Greg) to actually put physical distance between my wife and I." Absence makes the heart grow fonder "is my new motto....

ironhorse

Sep 4, 2008
Southern AB, CAN
Checked your site man..No doubt y'all are experienced. But I live in Canada. I am interested in building . This is an area that is ripe for MB. Maybe feelers on a CAN-AM connection for this new demand product.....Just checkin'.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
TOYOTACRUSHER, WELCOME. I THINK THIS FORUM IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT INGREDIENTS TO BICYCLE MOTORING. "CRUISER" IS THE AUTHOR, HE HAS DONE US ALL A GREAT SERVICE. I THINK YOU MAY BE THE FIRST FROM YOUR LOCATION.YOU MAY WANT TO POST IN THE "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" SECTION. MORE PEOPLE WILL KNOW YOUR HERE. YOU WILL GET ALL YOUR ANSWERS HERE. GLAD YOU JOINED. WE LIKE PICTURES. RON :ride2:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello, I'm also new to the forum. I live in Quito, Ecuador, and the concept of a motorized bike is pretty new here. I don't understand why, since it makes perfect sense. The city lies at 9000 ft. above sea level, and is full of steep and narrow streets, which makes regular biking difficult. A motorized bike will solve so many problems, starting with traffic. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I actually have no idea where to get a kit, or an engine. Thanks
Hello Toyota, Welcome to the forum :)

Well you could start here

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/find-dealer-review-1730.html

If you have any questions feel free to ask, always someone here willing to help out.
:ride2:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I live in south Chandler. Its flat down here, so I think that a 50CC engine on a light MTB frame will help me do at least the 20mph speed limit.

I wonder what happens to a 2 stroke motor at 9000 ft above sea level in Ecuador? Those rotax ultralight aircraft engines run OK up there.
He will probably have to use lean jetting in that thin air.
Cheers

azvinnie

Jul 23, 2008
Welcome to the forum. those of us from Az should get together and get a rally going. now that the weather is getting kewler.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I was considering crashing the Tour de Fat in Tempe with my motorized bike (Oct 15±). I might ride the parade with the motor turned off.
Then again, that may not be such a good idea.
(I'm still awaiting delivery of my motor, but I have a FedEx tracking number).
Cheers

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Welcome to All! About the only thing we can't do anything about here is the weather, or the roads. We have awnsers for almost any other issue for a motorized bike!