B&S on a Tandem

GoldenMotor.com

artisthos

Jun 15, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
What a great site and inspiration:)
Now that my daughter is in middle school I just couldn't drag her there in the car 14 miles round trip one way a day:( I already have a flying bicycle. A friend gave me a tandem "Daisy." Then someone else gave me another. They knew I would come up with something. First I wanted to put one on top of the other making a double-decker but now I think I will hang a 3.5 hp B&S with a abrasive wheel on the horizontal shaft on the front tire. A long time ago I had a moped that did the same thing. I will have to work out the ratio but the weight of the motor will go a long way to making it work. I think I will only need a small spring and a lever to disengage it while stopping and starting. Wish me luck:)http://tomlohre.com/images/bikeB.jpg

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Artis, welcome. Your pic brought a grin and a giggle from me.

There are some great programs to do ratios posted here. Was just looking for one posted just for FDs (friction drives)

Really looking forward to seeing your builds. Post lots of pics!

artisthos

Jun 15, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Thanks for the support.
As of now: bolt a large angle iron to the engine base and attach the other end to the base of the handle bar. An abrasive sleeve on the engine shaft and a spring attached to hub for tension.

artisthos

Jun 15, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
The above will not work. The engine is way to heavy.
I probably will use Dennbecr's idea shown in this video YouTube - ‪homemade moped, front wheel drive motorbike‬‏

I think I can make the platform and attachment to the fork with angle iron. I wish I gotten that welder when it was offer to me:(

The video does not show the other side but I am pretty sure a centrifugal clutch was mounted on the shaft and a go-cart wheel, shaft and pulley were connected to it via a belt.

We have some pretty big hills in Cincinnati so I will have to have more torque and less speed. The highway I want to ride on is too busy to go ride in the roadway. I would be happy to do 15 mph on the sidewalk with two people on the bike and pedaling:)

artisthos

Jun 15, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I am back on the idea engineering. My goal is to have an auxiliary engine to help on the hills started by engaging it like the mopeds with the engine that dropped down on the front tire. I am thinking of a pulley on the shaft connecting to a rotating abrasive rod that connects to the tire. The engine would pivot on the handlebars with a lever to disengage it from the tire. The weight of the engine should be enough with a spring to keep the abrasive rod on the tire. Of course the engine would race when you went over a bump.