Flip up seat/hidden gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

bare bones

Jul 12, 2009
Austin
I have wanted to ditch the peanut tank on my bike for a long time. I finally did! I made the new gas tank out of an aluminum water bottle. I attached it to the seat tube in between the wheel and the seat tube. The thing that I think is kind of cool is how I fill up now. I have a banana seat and there is a pin that holds the seat to the seat tube. To fill up, I remove the pin and raise the seat. This exposes the lid to the gas tank. Here are some pics. If you want to see more of my build it is under "Traditional Hot Rod Style" in the Rat Rods section.

Attachments

bare bones

Jul 12, 2009
Austin
Thanks guys!

About the fuel line being lower that the carb---I just set up this new tank recently. So far it gets the gas to the carb with no problems, but I have not been low on gas. The bottle bottom is just slightly lower than the carb. I suspect that when the gas in the bottle gets to the level of the carb I may have some issues :(.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Thanks guys!

About the fuel line being lower that the carb---I just set up this new tank recently. So far it gets the gas to the carb with no problems, but I have not been low on gas. The bottle bottom is just slightly lower than the carb. I suspect that when the gas in the bottle gets to the level of the carb I may have some issues :(.
I would think that being low on gas in the bottle might cause a gravity feed issue but it is a neat concept. I am kind of wondering though is the piece of twisted rusty wire left for ambiance (snicker)? I kind of like it gives the bike a grunge look.

bare bones

Jul 12, 2009
Austin
I would think that being low on gas in the bottle might cause a gravity feed issue but it is a neat concept. I am kind of wondering though is the piece of twisted rusty wire left for ambiance (snicker)? I kind of like it gives the bike a grunge look.
Hi Mark,
Originally, the bailing wire was put there just to be a temporary hold for the exhaust until I could put something nice in place. The more it rusted the more I liked the look and decided that I would just keep it there to add character :)

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Hi Mark,
Originally, the bailing wire was put there just to be a temporary hold for the exhaust until I could put something nice in place. The more it rusted the more I liked the look and decided that I would just keep it there to add character :)
Me too funny how some of our tastes are just a little off... huh?

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro
i always liked that bike now more so the tank is kooler fer sure that shifter tho whats that do hu hu ?? er k i see sneeky :)

Last edited:

bare bones

Jul 12, 2009
Austin
i always liked that bike now more so the tank is kooler fer sure that shifter tho whats that do hu hu ?? er k i see sneeky :)
The shifter looking thing controls the choke. The CNS type carbs come with the shifter to control the choke. Originally the cable for the shifter was much longer, but i didn't want to mount it on the handle bars so I cut the length and mounted it as seen in the pictures.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
In the 70's I remember seeing a banana seat for a bicycle that you could flip open, and inside was a compartment for storing stuff like a tire patch kit, tools, etc.
I have never seen anything like it on eBay, and I wonder if anything like that is available today, it would be a great place to store a spare spark plug, tire tube, and other parts & accessories that might be needed for a MB.