Built to fail... the Black Rat Part 3-HELP!

GoldenMotor.com

tvc15

Jun 27, 2010
portland, OR
OK...So...

I finished, and of course their is no love, she is not running.

I peddled her out of the driveway and down the road and she seemed to want to start but it never got there, she just kinda half way started, when I have it throttle she bogged down, if I hit the clutch she died. She ran without running (does that make sense?)

Oh ya, kill switch on or off seems the same.

Here are the facts.
1) Reset the angle of the mount to get the carb as flat as possible, tis is the best that I can do with this mount (the horror).
2) Everything tight EXCEPT MAYBE THE PLUG, need to but a tool tomorrow... Maybe loosing compression?
3) Yes that is a boost bottle... should I delete for now
4) Choke up
5) Fuel cock in the right position
6) I think I did everything right about car leaks

Its kinda like the little engine that could... wants to start just can seem to get all firerd up!

Help PLEASE... zpt

Attachments

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Cant help much with the diagnosis, but ..Nice job on the bike..I have the same seat hella comfortable !!!!

Cheers

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Beautiful bike.
It looks like you mounted your CDI under the motor right next to the expansion chamber and put a new longer plug cable on?

A weak spark could cause your "wanna start" symptom.
Either way though you don't want your CDI wedged in between your motor and tailpipe.

It is heat sensitive electronics in a plastic box.
Under your motor next to the exhaust is the absolute hottest place on your bike bud.
I can guarantee you it will fail when it gets hot enough.

Don't get me wrong, it looks great, nice wire for the kill button too, it just won't function long there.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Urm... best to check for spark first - kill switches are commonly bad, not all aftermarket plug wires work well & people have run their CDI in that location w/great success even with far longer plug wires (as long as they're copper core) - including bairdco & myself.

Heat rises & yer under the pipe - but it's true radiant heat may prove to be a long-term problem. Once it's running & after ya take it on it's maiden voyage, feel the side of the CDI - if it's anything other than vaguely warm to the touch, simply add a lil metal heat shield & you'll be stylin' :)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If it kinda started & would bog when you gave it gas?, Thats sorta common. Just let it warm up until you can give it full throttle without it bogging.

As far as it dying when you pull the clutch? Re-check all your wire connections & also make sure they're not zip tied to the frame too tight. I had that same problem on two of my bikes.

Also... Nice front brake!! ;)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Yes you can check for spark by laying the plug on top of the engine and just walk the bike along.
Try not to use the choke, most engines will start just fine after pushing the "tickler" for 5 seconds and leaving the choke open.

tvc15

Jun 27, 2010
portland, OR
Followed all of the advice (minus moving the CDI for now anyway)... ITS ALIVE!

Still can get my fat ass 210 lbs up the hill by my house... but it is definitely alive and kicking!