Airless tires: any drawbacks?

GoldenMotor.com

Barfly

May 2, 2010
Boise, ID
Got a flat tire yesterday,
and my roomate suggested buying an airless tire instead of new tube.

The price was less then $10 more than buying a new slime tube,
so I got one.

Not sure if I like it.

Anyone tried this?

Any obvious flaws or drawbacks that may happen if I continue to ride with the airless tire on the back rim?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated,
and I hope this is right section for this post.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I use slime but I don't use paper thin tubes. The preslimed tubs are not antiquit. Not enough slime in them to begin with in my opinion tubes too thin. I run thick heavy duty tubes lots of slime. Got a lot of Goathead Stickers here. I never have any prob's.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have just started experimenting with using "fix-o-flat" when I put on or build a new wheel. I just semi fill then pump with air. Will report but so far works.

Not an answer to your question, just say'n

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I tried them all growing up. When I say they is stickers here oh yeah! Did the Fix-O-Flat. First started using it on the basket balls. Ya haven't jammed a thumb yet wait till it comes after ya full of them stickers!rotfl Even tried half and Half milk. Oh boy wait till it's time to work on that'n. Have not used anything else in 30 years now. We got a going joke at one of my buddies house's when things go to getting real ornery. Go fight in the gavel where them stickers are that'l get it out of your system:D

I am the great Goat Herder [Cornholio too but don't tell anyone]
I use the Cornspugy Mold with no tire liners ether.

Attachments

Last edited:

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
I think I probably weight to much for those airless tires now, last time I tried them I was a lot younger and 180lbs and it felt like it had 1/2 the PSI it required to ride... +80lbs later (I grew to 6' 8" I'm not fat) I use heavy duty tubes with slime for cars in the tubes. Only difference I can tell between bike slime and car slime is car slime has bits of rubber in it to seal larger holes. Car slime comes in larger containers for cheaper compared to the bicycle slime here that will maybe do one wheel. I think last time I bought some I got a 64oz jug for 15$, a 6oz bicycle tube was about 8$. Below is a pic of the type I use myself....

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Airless tires ride like......airless tires. Or imagine riding through semi soft dirt all the time. No fun, no traction, high rolling resistance, and heck, to save some money, you may as well cram a bunch of shredded paper or hay in the tire and mount it.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
i've used them and would only use them on the front now...my back up is airless...remember if you decide to try them, the rim must be 1.75 not a 2.125...good luck...

nolan_speed

May 31, 2010
Seattle, WA
Airless tires make a lot of sense on a wheelbarrow but not wort it on a bike, motorized or not. In addition to the heavy tubes and slime, you can also get tire liners that are made out of a tough plastic that seems to work well and the tire still rides well. It only adds a few ounces to the tire.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
i put and airless tire in the front wheres thiers shocks and did the nice think slime tires and added a liltle extra slime to um for the rear works great for me dont go cheap though and get the 3 dollar tube u will be back to replace it real quick .wee.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
This was the thread I was looking for.

I've been reading for two hours at least.. Saw a Muffler mods, electrical, read why we solid mount the motors. Nice since I had my motor shake loose and the exhaust come loose on a long ride where I was listening to the Walkman and not the motor.

So Solid or "Airless" are like soft pressure is on a tube.

So I want HD Tubes, quality tires and slime the tubes.

I'm starting to learn the ins and outs.

The Bike is running well.. I'm aiming to keep it that way.

elevator

Jun 4, 2011
calif
i have had a million flats and I get a good rim liner or elec tape steel rims get less flats than alum rims with the ribs on the inside and dremel out the valve stem hole so it nice and loose and get a few drops of wheaterstip adhesive and glue the tire to the rim, it holds it and can be broken free easily, keep a patch kit and small hand pump on bike with the thin bic shop patches not the thick intube ones. if you get a flat dont take the wheel off just dig out the intube and carry a little pill bottle of soapy water t find leak , patch it with tube partially inflated put it back together and off you go. next step is the tire liners or slimmy tube stuff. I wouldnt go to airless because the tires are your suspension.

bikebro

Feb 24, 2014
Ms
Hey guys; it is now 2020. Would someone please address this question today? We have always wanted a rear traction drive style bike but were afraid of all those flats. Sure there are airless tires on the market today that would work well with that traction roller, yeah? Thanks