Well looks like I trashed a motor today

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The new build I just finished had a 66cc slant motor on it that I had for a while, it is one that I had a mini seizer with a few months back, I got it unstuck, pulled the head and all looked pretty good eccept for a small scored place in the cylinder, I figured this might give me trouble later on but I thought what the heck I'll just set it up on this bike and see what happens, I guess I got about 20 or so very low powered miles on it before it started making a ting-ing sound with a cracking and a pop at the end of it's short life, I think I busted a ring and trashed the jug, it spins over but will not start anymore, I will find out the problem when I pull the head and jug off, I ordered a new piston,rings,gaskets and jug last night because I was afraid the thing wouldnt stay together long and bingo the very next day it gave it up, I hope it was just the top end that crapped out and not something in the lower that gave way, after I get in from church in the morning I will be pulling it down to see what we have to fix or replace.

Happy and safe Riding everyone, and God Bless.!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sounds like the ring alignment pin came out and barfed the cylinder wall. That would make for very low compression for awhile, until the ring turned and snagged in a port, then "snap" goes the ring and you are done.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Sounds like the ring alignment pin came out and barfed the cylinder wall. That would make for very low compression for awhile, until the ring turned and snagged in a port, then "snap" goes the ring and you are done.
Yes.... I have NO DOUBT you are right on the money here, it made a farely loud clicking sound something like hitting 2 spoons together real fast and then it just wound down to a stop, it is not seized up but has O compression.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If you can, could you take some pictures so i could see what mine shouldnt look like.. Good Luck!xct2
Hey No problem I will document the carnage as I get into it, I just hope you have a strong stomache because I'm afraid it may get a little ugly in there, busted, gaulded, guts everywhere, dripping with BLUE oily gunk.....!LOL........!

I had a feeling this motor was gonna hand grenade on me because of the serious power loss do to the fact that it had been seized once before, It was my fault, I ran it wide open on a 70:1 mix for about 1 1/2 miles when it only had maybe 20-30 miles on it, just pushed it to hard to quick, I just hope nothing in the bottom gave it up because the lower end of this motor is much better balanced than the motor on my other bike, it never numbed my hands even at max. RPM's, that was very nice.

Ride safe always