usb lighting

GoldenMotor.com

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
I have been using 12v usb chargers to regulate voltage from the white wire to 5 volts. I use a single diode and 2000+ mfd capacitor to power the regulator and that powers 5mm white and red leds with matching resistors.

Last night I was looking for a 1w high power led so I can use the full 500ma output of the magneto/regulator and stumbled on a 18650 lithium usb charger/power unit with a 1w 65 lumen luxeon torch head that plugs into usb.

I'm think that the buck/boost/charger circuit is smart enough to actually be used in place of a lead acid battery with the added benefit of being able to charge cell phones, mp3 players and other usb devices.

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
no performance lost when using the single diode rectifier. the diode can be grounded with no effect on running, apparently the cdi only uses half of the ac wave itself.

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
Full circuit is pretty straightforward if you are not afraid of a soldering iron and wiring up LEDs.
But anybody can just use the flashlight on a usb extension cord as a bullet light.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
White wire through diode to positive lead of capacitor (negative of cap to ground). Positive lead of capacitor to 12V in of USB reg. 5V output of USB reg. through resistor to anode of LED. Cathode of LED to ground. Throw a switch in there to turn the lights off.

If your spark plug runs off the negative phase of magneto, should work fine.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I'm not sure why you need resistor and capacitor in there flashlights don't have em. Otherwise this is a series circuit with 2 sources regulated by the usb adapter (step down transformer). What's Vcc?

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
Get unregulated DC 5-10v to the red wire from magneto white wire through this.
Capacitor minimum of 16v, larger mf the better and bigger diode the better for least resistance.