Need help with power bike restoration

GoldenMotor.com

smkendall

Jan 18, 2016
The Villages, Fla
Have all the parts, frame & engine ready to go, put together already just need someone who knows what they are doing to help. Think that it's a "power bike". Father-in-law was restoring but passed. Want to finish it. Does anyone know someone in central Florida that can finish it?

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hmmmm......."Power Bike" sounds like a brand name. But I've never heard of it.

You probably won't get much info here with only that much to go on. Is it electric or gasoline engine? 2 cycle? 4 cycle? Where is the engine mounted?

Photos would be good. More than one would be better.

It sounds like you don't really want to finish it yourself. But unless you're lucky you won't find anyone else to do it.

But you can learn plenty here. And you're likely to find that fixing it up yourself is a lot of fun. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people here to testify to that.

Give us more info and you'll find all sorts of help here. Good luck with it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. I hope we can help you with your project but we're going to need more information. As Blue said above, photos would help a lot.
Possibly a member here will be familiar with 'Power Bike' and can offer some input.
Good luck.

Tom

smkendall

Jan 18, 2016
The Villages, Fla
Been trying to download pictures but they are always saying "upload of file failed"- Help. Been using the attach clip above and have tried to copy/paste always a failure.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try this: Make a post. Type whatever you want to say then look at the bottom of the text box you just wrote in. You'll see two options. One says, "Post Quick Reply". The other one says, "Go Advanced". Click on 'Go Advanced. This will take you to another screen and you'll see the text you just added. Now scroll down and fine the box that says, "Manage Attachments". Click on it and another page will open where you can browse your computer files to find the photo you want to post. Open that picture file and click on "Upload"

When the photo has loaded close that page then scroll down below and click on "Submit"

If there is a problem with your photo size it will not load but it will tell you the file is too big. You'll need to reduce the size to no bigger than 1024 X 768. You'll need some type of photo editing software to do that.

Try this and let me know if you have a problem.

Tom

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Or you can upload the photo to a free photo sharing website like photobucket, then copy the link and paste it here.

The file servers are only so big for a small community like this, so I hope you understand why they don't want large pictures being posted. If it's just a link though, it doesn't take up any of mb's server space.

smkendall

Jan 18, 2016
The Villages, Fla
I tried all that and just tried again and got the same response. I've asked for help from the administrator of the website because it will say that I'm missing
something to be able to attach. I do have editing software and I've tried from that and I put it on my desktop and tried as well as into other file and it will not let me post the pictures. I will try doing it from my laptop if I don't hear back from the administrator. Thanks for your help so far and hopefully I can get the pictures online.

smkendall

Jan 18, 2016
The Villages, Fla
I think I've got some pictures attached of the bike & motor

Don't know how else to get them there so that I can maybe get some help finishing this bike. IMG_20160130_121948 (640x480).jpg

bike 001 (640x480) - Copy.jpg

IMG_20160130_121928 (640x480) (540x405).jpg
Added another picture of motor
Thanks

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What you have is a DIY, do-it-yourself motorized bicycle. It appears to be a standard cruiser frame with a fabricated mount for an old, possibly a Briggs & Stratton 4 stroke engine. That kick-starter is a very old option that was available on some B&S engines. Interestingly enough it was used on engines that were designed to be mounted in washing machines, if that gives you an idea of the vintage.

Your engine is equipped with a centrifugal clutch. I see a large sprocket attached to the rear wheel which tells me the builder intended to use a jack shaft from the left side to the right side of the bike with either a belt or chain drive from the engine to the shaft.

Lots of work ahead of you and it might require some fabrication to get the bike running but it can be done. You certainly have a good start and a foundation for a cool motorized bike.

You'll need to check local laws pertaining to motorized bicycles. Most areas require pedals to make it a bike. No pedals puts it into the motorcycle category which can open all kinds of worm cans when it comes to registering to make it street legal.

One thing that concerns me is how the builder cut the downtube and is relying on the engine mount for frame integrity. Done correctly it could work but shoddy welding or steel that is too thin could be a major problem. More photos of the frame and engine mount area would be necessary to evaluate. Frame failure is a real concern with that design. Be careful!

Good luck.

Tom

Last edited:

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
The frames strength has been compromised a lot...id be careful with that mod. Looks to have some nice fenders and a Whizzer style tank though.
I'd be frame shopping and that engine setup won't fit many.