Make your own bobber style seat.

GoldenMotor.com

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Well okay, after some significant miles on my BTR bike my hiney was not feeling it, heck it was not feeling anything for that matter because it was numb.

I looked into a wider cruiser bike seat but after a long search what was available simply did not look right on this bike. They all looked too blocky on the bike.

Anyway, I then started looking at bobber style seats for actual motorcycles.

I found a few but the prices were way too high. I looked at the construction of them and it seemed not too complicated.

So off I went to Home Depot to pick up some 16 gauge steel sheet metal and to a fabric store to get some vinyl covering.

I had the seat post and brace from the previous configuration so aside from that and my time, this only set me back $13.00.

Pictures tell it better so here you go.

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Then I covered the seat with some nice brown vinyl by spray gluing it to the seat base and wrapping the edges. Then once that was done I simply stitched around the edges by going through the holes of the metal seat pan.

The comfort level riding this bike now went way, way up. The pictures don't do it justice. I'll take some better ones tonight.

Last edited:

Going2Hell

Nov 22, 2013
Victor, Colorado
www.facebook.com
Nice post... and seat post!

Really though, Thanks. This was the next step in my build and was stumbling at the seat post/pan junction.

In my mind I had come up with using a springer seat assembly, making my own pan and attaching it somehow.

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Thanks,

I might make it so that the seat pan can pivot where it attaches to the seat post and then use spring supports later. I just did not have to hart to start tearing apart that pricey Gyes seat that was on there before.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nice work, neighbor. It really looks great.
As for springs you don't need to tear up an expensive seat. The springs from any old bike saddle can be made to work. I've used them and I've also used automotive valve springs. Both are cheap and easily found.

I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with. Comfy seats are a must for us bony butted guys and I like to see what others come up with to soften the ride.
Thanks for sharing the build on your seat. Show us the progress if you add springs.

Tom

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Thanks again. The foam was spray glued to the seat tray and simply shape cut with a long bread knife.

The foam is a closed cell 2# polyethylene foam.

Then I spray glued the vinyl on top of that, folded it around the edges and glued them down. Then I followed up with the stitching. My first attempt at a seat but I thought it turned out good.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Man, that's a whole lot of holes you drilled there!

And they all look so straight and lined up with the contour of the seat outline.

The seat does look very nice, you should be proud.

How does the seat post currently attach to the seat pan? Is there a bolt there?

Gilbert

sentnl

Oct 13, 2014
Colorado
Awesome!! I am 200# on average and my Huffy cranbrook seat feels like I am taco'ing the thing. This gave me some Idea on how to strengthen it. Thank You from Durango, CO!!!!

sentnl

Oct 13, 2014
Colorado
And as a HIGHJACK Thread question. I need advice on reinforcing said cranbrook. type of welder, where to add strength on the frame to make more "solid"

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
A beat up old garden shovel from a yard sale can make an awesome seat pan for upholstering with leather or???? just a little shaping to taste or butt size with your angle grinder with gloves and eye protection

ride safe

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
Awesome seat man! I am looking at making a long seat that will go to the tank and possibly fit 2 people kinda like a dirt bike. how is that closed cell foam? is it pretty cushy or what?

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
oh and sentnl, you want a tig welder. probably add gussets by the head tube. tig welders are expensive, gas bottle is $250 filled and good ac/dc ones that run 120 or 240v start at 800